Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I aggree. Samaras, probably is the most recognised Greek footballer. He's had 11-12y in Europe, incl. a good 7 years at Celtic, Champions League, Europa, 2 WCs and 2 Euro's by age 30. I fully understand his decision to go to Saudi as he enters the final years of his playing career. Samaras, still has a role to play for the NT, but just may not be starter every match.

• Like it 1

I may as well give it up....it's me, Pame teloiko. Good to see all you guys in here. Looking forward to not being threatened with suspensions here when the admin doesn't agree with me. :artist:

Edited by Greek Style

I read 9 years of posts to get to the most recent one and tbh I think Samaras will probably go down in history as an underachiever. I called it in 2010 but I think I was more disappointed that he never kicked on after Manchester City at the time.

He'll be remembered by the diehard Celtic fans and obviously in Greece but there will always be a touch of unfulfilled promise for me.

i agree with what your saying i get very frustrated most of the time when i see him lose the ball over and over again he trys to add the extra too much when he could play a simple pass. he would look like a better player if played more simple i think and also do those runs with ball where he just gets passed the player i believe he knows very well how to get passed a defender its just his decision making.

• 3 weeks later...

Samaras' production was not always outstanding, but he was nearly always solid and he played very well in major tournaments against Russia, Nigeria or Ivory Coast. He played a pivotal role in our advancing to the second round at the Euro and the WC. In the previous years he was nearly the only option for our left wing I think (Ninis and Fetfatzidis are right wingers, their rival was between 2008 and 2014 Salpingidis and not Samaras ). Even now I dont see who could replace him, in time - read after years - it will be probably Christodoulopoulos, we have not so many talented left wingers.

The contribution of Ninis in 2012 was IMO insignificant (he was subbed after the first half against Germany and Poland for a production which was bad enough), and he was mediocre against Argentina too (at the WC 2010).

I'd dispute that 9 assists stat it sounds like bs to me.

As for Samaras, depressingly I've watched many of our games where he has been the ONLY attacking threat, upfront with a stationary Gekas and an ineffectual Salpingidis. He has literally been our talisman over the years and his performances have been the difference between us winning or losing. I'm not sure how people can't see that?

I'd love to know how many assists he's actually got, I may go through all 81 of his games and cross reference them with youtube highlights to check, maybe when I next do a nightshift at work. As it was I literally went through the first five games he played where we'd scored to find a discrepancy.

But yeah he has always given his all and even English commentators (who usually treat us with the utmost contempt), comment on how he's our match winner. He may have slowed down in recent years but honestly I don't see we have a natural replacement for him yet, and if we need to score goals against Faroes we'd be foolish not to play him. 

He could be useful now IMO, against the Faroe Islands together with Mitroglou (thank God he is healthy now, last weekend he actually scored against Panionios). Christotoulopoulos didnt played well against Hungary, and Athanasiadis was horrible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic