Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

Samaras blazed a penalty over the bar as Celtic lost 3-2 at Arsenal in the a pre-season friendly.

Despite missing the penalty Samaras was one of the best player on the pitch, causing endless problems with his movement and delivery. He was a 2nd half sub which continues to add weight to the argument that he is at his best when used as a sub! He was superb though, long may this form continue! Celtic weren't even in the game before Samaras came on but he inspired them they nearly fought back from 3-0 down! :gr:

Edited by Euro2004

vlakies akouw...its time for samaras to move to spain, his talent will be appreciated there...hes 25 and will still develop, a move to spain would be good for his career in my opinion, he needs to go where he will be wanted...he should be starting week in week out at celtic but every year he isnt wanted by their fans and doesnt get the full faith of the coach but every year he is one of the if not the top scorer at the club....

To be fair i know why fans are so frustrated with him. In terms of talent he's probably the best forward in their league, but in terms of effectiveness? He only got 10 goals last season! He's frustrating.

i had a feeling you'd take that view, however last season he was in and out the side, managed by the clueless mowbray and was playing left midfield in a significant amount of matches, particularly when keane turned up as mowbray wanted all the strikers he signed to play to justify signing them. when he was given a run in the side up front he managed 8 goals in 9 games before keane kamara and rasmussen turned up and he was shifted out wide

mate i love Samaras and think he's hugely talents but he is lazy and very inconsistent. this isn't an opinion, it's fact. if you look at hom many k/m her covers in a game on average as well as his goal-scoring patterns you'll see that this is true. he doesn't cover as much ground as the other forwards and he'll go through spells when he's hot, followed by very dry spells. that's inexcusable for a striker of his talent and playing in such a weak league.

you can't just blame mowberry. samaras has had the exact same problems under 5 different coaches: pearce, erikssen, strachan, mowberry and rehaggel.

Samaras is not lazy. He can be inconsistant but that is a totally different thing.

The way he runs and moves about makes him look casual.

None of these managers have ever allowed him a decent run in the sides he has played in. That doesnt help his development.

His goal record speaks for itself. Dont forget he wasnt taking the penalties. Add those to Keanes total and that makes a lot of difference.

He isnt the greatest forward I admit but the managers he has played under have all been second rate on the coaching front

To be fair i know why fans are so frustrated with him.

in terms of effectiveness He only got 10 goals last season! He's frustrating.

no you didn't say that directly but are insinuating that its perfectly fine to boo him as he's ineffective and frustrating in your opinion. these morons booed him while he collected an award, its hardly gonna help his game when they vent thier frustration at him after he's been the best player on the park.

my own opinion is their frustration stems from having a second rate team with a shaby defence thats finished 2nd to rangers 2 years in succession.

'to be fair to the fans.' how bout being fair to the player ? a player whose goal return you've questioned but fail to mention that he played half the season at left midfield.

Edited by js1000

To be fair i know why fans are so frustrated with him.

in terms of effectiveness He only got 10 goals last season! He's frustrating.

no you didn't say that directly but are insinuating that its perfectly fine to boo him as he's ineffective and frustrating in your opinion. these morons booed him while he collected an award, its hardly gonna help his game when they vent thier frustration at him after he's been the best player on the park.

my own opinion is their frustration stems from having a second rate team with a shaby defence thats finished 2nd to rangers 2 years in succession.

'to be fair to the fans.' how bout being fair to the player ? a player whose goal return you've questioned but fail to mention that he played half the season at left midfield.

I think it is acceptable to boo a player under 2 circumstances. Firstly if he is an immoral individual, such Joey Barton. The other time it is acceptable is if he has a poor attitude. Samaras is and has been lazy for a long time. You're the one that posted the link to the Celtic fans boards and none question his ability, they all question his attitude though. This happens everywhere! Olympiakos fans have started to turn on Diogo, Arsenal fans turned on Adebayor, etc.

In terms of ability I firmly believe that Samaras is easily the best forward in their league. So why does he go through such baren spells? He has NEVER played left midfield for them. He has been rotated between being up front, behind the front man and as a left-forward in a 4-3-3. That's where David Villa played for Spain at the World Cup, where Arshavin plays for Arsenal, where Ronaldo played many games for Man Utd, etc. They all get goals. Yes they may be better players but they also play against stronger opposition. Samaras' lack of goals and assists is down to his lack of a work rate, British fans hate that. That's also the reason Man Utd fans have turned on Berbatov. Berba has all the talent in the world, yet he's not as effective as someone like Bobby Zamora. That's inexcusable for the Bulgarian.

Samaras scored 10 last year, 14 the season before, and in the half a season before that he got 3. For many of those games he was playing centrally, so it's a cheap excuse to say he's out of position. His Rangers counter-part Kris Boyd scored 21 last year and 25 the year before. BIG contrast. So there's a reason they don't keep him up as a central striker and rely on him for the goals. And before you rant on about Mowberry, bare in mind that Strachan and Pearce LOVED him. They rated him VERY highly, and even they went on to drop him. Why?

Did you see the game against Arsenal at the Emirates last week? Ok, he missed a penalty, but everything else he did was amazing. They couldn't contain him. Everything he did turned to gold. He worked hard, won tackles up front, put in superb deliveries and went on exciting runs. How can that happen against Arsenal, and then he'll go on a run of 10 games playing teams like St Mirren, Motherwell and Falkirk and he can't put a foot right? It's his attitude! So while I obviously condemn the booing I am fully aware of how frustrating it can be for the fans when a player isn't pulling his weight and one good performance won't change that. Personally i think they are dumb because he's one of their best players, and he's worked hard this season so far, but if they've decided they don't want him it will take an awful lot to win them over again.

You and another few posters rate him very highly. DUDE hated him completely. I think both camps are in the extreme. My stance remains the same. He's one of the most talented players in the SPL but his poor attitude hinders him. Let me also say though that i have great belief in him and because i'm hoping he continues this fine form i've placed a

Edited by Euro2004

I'm watching Inverness vs Celtic and Samaras has started. it's 63 mins into the game and he's having a poor game. He could have had an assist having put Maloney through on goal and could have scored having had a header cleared off the line but he's done very little else right. He's giving the ball away, committing unecessary fouls and is looking lazy again. It's so frustrating to see him like this against a team on a par with Kerkyra!

This is what i mean when i say it's difficult for a manager to give him a run in the team. If he doesn't score today he'd have had one goal in 20 competitive games for Celtic! How long does a manager persist with a player that clearly doesn't care?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKpUPYu97o...&feature=search

Samaras had a very good game against Utrecht. Above are the highlights. Here's an interview about him from his new manager Lennon.

Celtic continue striker search despite Samaras form

Neil Lennon says he is still looking to sign a striker - but that Georgios Samaras is proving his worth so far this season.

The Celtic manager says a goalkeeper and a forward are top of his transfer priority list.

"I liked his attitude during the pre-season. His all-round game is coming on," Lennon said of Samaras.

"He could be a very important player for us this season. I'm very pleased with him."

Samaras scored in Thursday's 2-0 win over Utrecht in the first leg of their Europa League qualifier - the first time he has found the net in competitive action this season.

It had looked as if he might be surplus to requirements during the summer, with Lennon's reservations about him well-known.

But the Greece forward looks certain to lead the line again when St Mirren visit on Sunday and Lennon said: "There were glimpses of inconsistency in his game again against Utrecht.

"He played very well first-half, but there were bits of his game he could have improved in the second-half.

"Overall, though, I'm very pleased with him. If anyone deserved a goal over the piece, it was him, so hopefully he'll take a lot from that.

"His attitude and his level of performance have been good, no doubt about it. He's been a big player for me so far."

Samaras has put behind him his country's disappointing World Cup finals campaign as he enters the final year of his contract at Celtic Park.

"With all footballers, you have a point to prove to people, but deep down it's proving the point to yourself," said Lennon.

"I think he's got the bit between the teeth at the minute. He's only got a year left on his contract, so he's playing for his future as well.

"I look at what he's got in his make-up and I think he's got all the attributes for what it takes to be a modern-day striker."

Lennon has already recruited forwards Gary Hooper and Daryl Murphy but has sold Cillian Sheridan and allowed Morten Rasmussen, Paul McGowan and Ben Hutchison to go out on loan.

Meanwhile, while Celtic are believed to be interested in signing Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given and Everton defender Joseph Yobo, Lennon did not wish to respond publicly about any specific players.

"We are just weighing up options and we will see what becomes available in the next week or so," he added.

"We are pursuing three or four names in three or four positions and we are going to be linked with various people."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/8932369.stm

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sportdog.gr/v3/article.aspx?id=144421

This is an article in the build up to the Greece-Georgia game and I noticed something that really made me laugh :D Samaras is probably the Greek player that divides us more than any other. Some people think he's great, others think he's poor. I think he's talented but too often he's too lazy to be effective, hence, he's frustrating. Well look at the photo of in the above article. All the players are going nuts in celebration of Salpi's goal. Everyone except Samaras who seems too lazy to celebrate! :LOL: :LOL:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Samaras is having yet another inconsistent season but he's insisting that he wants to stay at Celtic. I still stand by the fact that he needs to leave asap

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/20...-role-at-celtic

Striker Georgios Samaras happy with his role at Celtic

Greek international going nowhere...

Celtic striker Georgios Samaras denies ever wanting to leave the Parkhead side despite interest from many other big clubs in England and Europe.

The Greek international was linked with a move away from the SPL giants in the summer. As teams such as Middlesbrough, Italian club Palermo and Spanish side Hercules were chasing his signature, but he insists he had no intention of leaving.

It looked as though Neil Lennon might have let Samaras go to assist in raising funds for other players coming into the club, but Samaras remains defiant that his heart was always with Celtic.

"At no stage did I think I was leaving," Samaras told the Sunday Mail.

"I wanted to stay with this club and I was 100 per cent committed to that decision.

"I went to the World Cup completely focused on the national team and when I came back I had the same attitude for what I had to do here."

The former Manchester City players admits he was aware of the amount interest he was attracting from other clubs but always felt that Celtic was his best offer.

"I know there were many rumours in the summer and some offers came in, but my door was always closed.

"I know this team well and the club knows me. It was an easy decision.

"When the World Cup was finished I wanted to be back for pre-season.

"I know that I can give a lot to this side. At Celtic, you have to win every game. You are aiming to win trophies and you are normally playing European football.

"I don't know of any reason to leave because this club has everything for me.

"My door was never open to the other outfits. If it was teams from Italy, Spain, Holland, Russia, Turkey or Greece, I was not interested.

"I would like to be part of a full championship season when we win the title.

"At the moment, we're doing well in the league and are in the next round of the Co-op Cup. It'd be nice to win something."

• 1 month later...

Samaras to leave Bhoys

Skysports.com understands that Greece international Georgios Samaras will not be signing a new contract at Celtic.

The former Heerenveen and Manchester Citymarksman's three-year contract expires at the end of the season and he will be available on a free transfer.

Celtic have moved to secure the 25-year-old on a new deal, however, it is believed that Samaras has not received the assurances he seeks from the SPL giants.

Two Spanish clubs are understood to have tabled offers for the Greek forward, although there may be the option to stay in Britain.

Premier League side Liverpool have enquired about Samaras' services through the club's technical director Eduardo Macia.

It remains to be seen whether Samaras will see out the season and leave for free next summer or whether manager Neil Lennon opts to cash in on his services in the New Year.

Source

He will most likely not sign for Liverpool as they have many attackers. However it would be great if he signs as I am a Liverpool fan and also he will be the second greek player of the club.

Samaras to leave Bhoys

Skysports.com understands that Greece international Georgios Samaras will not be signing a new contract at Celtic.

The former Heerenveen and Manchester Citymarksman's three-year contract expires at the end of the season and he will be available on a free transfer.

Celtic have moved to secure the 25-year-old on a new deal, however, it is believed that Samaras has not received the assurances he seeks from the SPL giants.

Two Spanish clubs are understood to have tabled offers for the Greek forward, although there may be the option to stay in Britain.

Premier League side Liverpool have enquired about Samaras' services through the club's technical director Eduardo Macia.

It remains to be seen whether Samaras will see out the season and leave for free next summer or whether manager Neil Lennon opts to cash in on his services in the New Year.

Source

He will most likely not sign for Liverpool as they have many attackers. However it would be great if he signs as I am a Liverpool fan and also he will be the second greek player of the club.

He should never have gone to Scotland. Epitelous some common sense has been shown.

Hmm I am not sure he should go to Liverpool. I think the English press will be looking to string him up any opportunity they get.

Just read some of the comments from Celtic and Liverpool supporters in the article.

Personally I feel he should go to a mid to top club in Spain (Villareal, Valencia, At Madrid, Espanyol, Sevilla) for his own development and to the experience he will bring to the Ethniki.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Samaras has been linked to a variety of teams since it was announced that he'd leave Celtic Park this season, probably in January. So far he's been linked with, Deportivo, West Brom, Lazio, and West Ham. Most recently though, and the most likely destination is, Sporting Lisbon. They lack a target man and he could make an impact in Portugal but I can't see him improving too much there. Personally i'd rather see him go to La Liga but Sporting would be a great destination for him personally i think

Celtic won the Old Firm Derby at Ibrox (Rangers' ground) by 0-2 with Samaras scoring both! :gr: They were his first two goals of the season but he has received wide-spread praise for his showing. His manager Neil Lennon threw huge praise on him saying:

“Samaras was the big difference today, when he plays like that he is virtually unplayable,” the manager told Sky Sports.

"He has fantastic attributes, he just needs to get into his head he can do this.

"His attributes are not just top class but world class." http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...-class-samaras/

Here are the highlights.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic