Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

It's time for this kid to come and play in Greece (I don't care who). Obviously he is not getting the respect abroad.

BTW I thought he was doing well at Celtic, why the harsh words? What does Celtic's coach think of him and not some old retired fart?

It's time for this kid to come and play in Greece (I don't care who). Obviously he is not getting the respect abroad.

BTW I thought he was doing well at Celtic, why the harsh words? What does Celtic's coach think of him and not some old retired fart?

Well he's not starting him.

I thought he would be in favor after that great goal against Dunamo, and I thought I saw him start against Arsenal this week. Are you talking about league game? Why would he play him in Europe and not league games? Anyway if it means moving to West Ham would get him more playing time I think it's better for him, but I still would like to see him play for a greek team some time soon.

well fortune has been considered ineffective in every game he's played but he hasn't lost his place and responded by scoring twice against the mighty st johnstone. mcdonald hasn't been brilliant either, do you honestly think samaras is being treated fairly ? i said in an earlier post mcdonald and fortune will start regardless of form and samaras will play odd games and make appearances off the bench, people will then say he's inconsistent

well fortune has been considered ineffective in every game he's played but he hasn't lost his place and responded by scoring twice against the mighty st johnstone. mcdonald hasn't been brilliant either, do you honestly think samaras is being treated fairly ? i said in an earlier post mcdonald and fortune will start regardless of form and samaras will play odd games and make appearances off the bench, people will then say he's inconsistent

Well Fortune was dropped for the Champions League and he responded by scoring 2. Don't get me wrong, Samaras is the most talented of the Celtic forwards (McDonald is a better finisher but Samaras is a better all round forward), but that's why he's so frustrating.

Hopefully he moves to West Ham, Cartlon Cole is the most improved Premiership forward by far and may Samaras could benefit from that sort of coaching.

I don't really think a move to West Ham would be better for him; I think he should try another league that suits his style of play better. He developed playing in Holland and explained in an interview that he had to re-adjust his playing style to the Premiership. I think he would work better in Italy.

I don't really think a move to West Ham would be better for him; I think he should try another league that suits his style of play better. He developed playing in Holland and explained in an interview that he had to re-adjust his playing style to the Premiership. I think he would work better in Italy.

they have to show interest first though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Sam talks about everything... the Ethniki, Man City, Celtic, Greek football, the interested clubs, his childhood, OFI, why he would only marry a Greek woman, etc. It's the most thorough interview i've ever seen involving a Greek player and it conveys a lot: A tremendous self-belief, some arrogance, loyalty, strength in character, and more. I recommend it to everyone.

P.S. It's so obvious that the female journalist fancies the pants off him! :LOL:

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/World/WorldCup...ece/255888.html

Edited by Euro2004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's on fire!

Omos na min ksexasoume oti paizei stin Skotia pou eine mia metria kai adunath liga.

True, but he's clearly improving as a player. I heard he also missed 2 sitters today, in a game that Celtic won 2-1. Things like this give ammo to the critics.

Personally I can see some major improvements in his game and I hope he keeps it up. Last year he was even hotter before fizzling out. The key must be consistency. He should aim to finish top scorer and aim for at least 3 goals at World Cup. That should be his personal aim for the season

Interesting:

"Samaras' fits and spurts

Georgios Samaras is something of a difficult beast to understand. At the moment he is in an extremely rich vein of form, scoring four goals in his last three outings in the SPL.

Whilst it is not unusual for strikers to hit goalscoring form briefly before returning to normal, what is strange about Samaras is that in the last two seasons, he has only twice scored in consecutive outings in the Scottish top flight, as the table below shows:

Georgios Samaras in SPL

Period Games Played

Goals

Goals per Game

1st Feb 2008 - 22nd Aug 2008 18

23rd Aug 2008 - 26th Sep 2008 4

27th Sep 2008 - 27th Nov 2009 35

28th Nov 2009 - Present 3

Overall 60

Celtic fans who are hoping that the Greece international has finally become used to life at Parkhead should be reminded that early last season Samaras fired in seven goals in four SPL appearances, but then failed to score in back-to-back league games until two weeks ago with his brace against Aberdeen.

His opener against Motherwell last Saturday extended this run to three matches, and though a rate of 0.43 goals per game in the SPL is not bad by a long shot, Tony Mowbray should not put all his eggs in one basket by hoping that the tall hitman will remain as prolific all season."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,117...5774990,00.html

Maybe Samara is doing so well because he is being picked more often this season.

Confidence is a big deal in sport.

He actually played more in previous seasons. He was on the bench until recently this year. The real question is why can't he maintain form? As those stats i've posted above show, he's only scored in consecutive games twice. That is very unusual. If it was a confidence issue he'd be going through spells of scoring in consecutive games when on form, and when low on confidence not playing well. That doesn't seem to be the case though Edited by Euro2004

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic