Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

so do the lower tier greek teams. like i said before we bash our best players and no matter how many he scores he never gets the credit he deserves

I think pretty much everyone here agrees that the Greek league is vastly superior to the Scottish league. Identifying that doesn't mean we won't give Samaras credit, it just means that he must do more to earn it. The moment you stop demanding more is the moment you stop acheiving more. As Oscar Wilde said "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking to the stars". If we want Greece to acheive stardom on the world stage again we need more from our most talented players like Samaras.

I'm editing this post because I've just read the article that Plato-ny has pointed to in the greece forums where seitaridis says in an interview that ninis couldnt last 10 mins in training because he was so unfit. maybe that's why he doesnt play for the nt or for pao at the moment. now ask yourself how the kid could let this happen? could it be because he was so overblown as a player that he began to believe his own hype and started becoming complacent? its dangerous to overblow your players so we're just remaining realistic about samaras.

Edited by Euro2004

I think pretty much everyone here agrees that the Greek league is vastly superior to the Scottish league. Identifying that doesn't mean we won't give Samaras credit, it just means that he must do more to earn it. The moment you stop demanding more is the moment you stop acheiving more. As Oscar Wilde said "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking to the stars". If we want Greece to acheive stardom on the world stage again we need more from our most talented players like Samaras.

I'm editing this post because I've just read the article that Plato-ny has pointed to in the greece forums where seitaridis says in an interview that ninis couldnt last 10 mins in training because he was so unfit. maybe that's why he doesnt play for the nt or for pao at the moment. now ask yourself how the kid could let this happen? could it be because he was so overblown as a player that he began to believe his own hype and started becoming complacent? its dangerous to overblow your players so we're just remaining realistic about samaras.

Well said.

Btw, he banged in another 2 today in the cup, the second was a penalty. He's certainly in superb form. :tup: Let's hope he carries that forward against Moldova and Switzerland.

Well said.

Btw, he banged in another 2 today in the cup, the second was a penalty. He's certainly in superb form. :tup: Let's hope he carries that forward against Moldova and Switzerland.

i take your point you have to keep progressing and aiming high but what frustrates me is that players like haristeas lybe and salpi who are no where near as good as samaras do not get no where near as much flak as samaras, the moment he has a bad game the knives are out for him (lazy bad attitude overrated average etc). he deserves a place in the 11 vs moldova, i just hope otto gives it to him

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greek doctors left me sidelined for Celtic because of blunder, reveals Georgios Samaras

Nov 14 2008

GEORGIOS SAMARAS last night revealed how a Greek medical blunder left him sidelined for the past month.

The striker needed knee surgery after coming back crocked from international duty in the middle of October.

Samaras says he was in pain during his country's defeat of Moldova in the first game of a World Cup double header. He told his national team's doctors about the problem but was assured there was no damage and turned out against Switzerland four days later, making the injury worse.

Samaras said: "The doctors said it was nothing. Just that I was tired."

"When the doctors say it is nothing you accept it. So I played against the Swiss and did more damage to my knee."

Source.

• 2 weeks later...

The following is an example of why I want to kick Samaras in the head:

I'm watching the Aalborg - Celtic game. Just now it was showing the warm up of the players before the game and even there Samaras was so lazy that it was embarassing. Just as I thought: "koita ton m#$%!", Gus Poyet (who is now a pundit on Sky Sports) said "Let's just hope that Samaras isn't running in the game the way he is in the warm up", at which point Charlie Nicholas and others started pissing themselves laughing in agreement. This is why the guy is a bum that will waste away in shitty leagues like the SPL. <_<

Anyway, let's hope he scores a hatrick tonight and we can all hail him as world class.

The following is an example of why I want to kick Samaras in the head:

I'm watching the Aalborg - Celtic game. Just now it was showing the warm up of the players before the game and even there Samaras was so lazy that it was embarassing. Just as I thought: "koita ton m#$%!", Gus Poyet (who is now a pundit on Sky Sports) said "Let's just hope that Samaras isn't running in the game the way he is in the warm up", at which point Charlie Nicholas and others started pissing themselves laughing in agreement. This is why the guy is a bum that will waste away in shitty leagues like the SPL. <_<

Anyway, let's hope he scores a hatrick tonight and we can all hail him as world class.

Surprise, surprise, he's been abysmal and the pundits are laying into him! He's missed 2 big chances and Andy Gray said: "He's passing's been poor, his movement's been poor, and his finishing's been poor. He's not making any runs and he's not arriving in the box.". Gus Poyet said "When you're having a bad game the least you can expect is for a player to be running and trying, but he's not even doing that. He's playing like he was warming up". Charlie Nicholas said "He's been so poor that he has to score now! He owes his team a goal... Aalborg are the worst team I've seen in this competition, and there have been some bad ones. They are just waiting to get beat, and Celtic haven't capitalised. They've created chances, but Samaras up front has been so poor that they haven't converted any."

The host then asked the pundits "He looks disinterested doesn't he?"

Andy Gray said "Well I'd hate to think that. He just looks lazy."

He's coming off an injury, JACKASS

This is his 3rd game back, he's had time to get sharpe. Besides, an injury is no excuse for being lazy or for missing a free header from 5 yards.

Btw, how old are you?

P.S. Samaras has just been subbed off for a youngster (Sheridan). A team that is starved of strikers due to injury has had to take off their supposed star striker for a young striker because the "star" is too lazy. :LOL:

Edited by DUDE

• 4 weeks later...

The Glasgow derby has just kicked off and Samaras is starting. It will be interesting to see how he copes away to Rangers in a fast and furious game like this. He struggled to cope with the tempo of the Premiership and imo the ability to play at a high tempo and in a tough-tackling match is the sign of a good player so let's hope he bangs in a hatrick! :tup:

So far 7 mins gone, he hasn't had a shot on goal but seems fairly composed. A bit negative in his play though always looking to pass backwards when the chance to break is there.

The Glasgow derby has just kicked off and Samaras is starting. It will be interesting to see how he copes away to Rangers in a fast and furious game like this. He struggled to cope with the tempo of the Premiership and imo the ability to play at a high tempo and in a tough-tackling match is the sign of a good player so let's hope he bangs in a hatrick!  :tup:

So far 7 mins gone, he hasn't had a shot on goal but seems fairly composed. A bit negative in his play though always looking to pass backwards when the chance to break is there.

2nd half has just kicked off. Samaras did nothing in the first half but he wasn't really at fault. His movement wasn't too good, failing to get into dangerous positions when given the opportunity but Celtic didn't really create much either.

A long ball, Samaras wins the flick on, McDonald controls, turns wonderfully and rifles the ball into the far top corner. Beautiful finish by McDonald but Samaras gets the assist: Rangers 0-1 Celtic, 30 mins to go.

Edited by DUDE

• 2 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS GIORGIOS SAMARAS SCOTTISH LEAGUE CUP WINNER 2009

:nw: :nw: :gr: :tup: :gr:

Yes, congratulations for losing your place and sitting your arse on the bench for the biggest game of Celtic's season! :LOL:

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic