Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

We have to make up our mind....Tuff league holland scores some goals...City not 1 but 2 managers not playing him he is done...goes to celtic plays a handful of games of the bench scores...Starts the season en FUEGO,bad league.

i dont think dude is crapping on him. he's merely saying that the reason samaras doesnt replicate that form for greece is not merely because he doesnt get support from greece's midfield as clover has argued but also because he is playing against weak opposition. he's right too. look at how many goals samaras has scored from being all alone in the centre of the opposition's defence. if he starts performing like that in the champs lge too and for greece we can start getting excited otherwise bigging him up too much is premature. you have to understand that samaras is arrogant too so the last thing he needs is for people to start blowing wind up his ass. he needs to keep working hard because at the moment he's just an average player.

you could also argue that all the greece based players in our NT are also up against weak opposition week in week out, you could add dellas to that list too. at least playing for celtic gives him more exposure. i think its unfair to call him average just because he's playing in a poor league, haristeas is average not samaras. torosidis and ninis play in a poor league also but i believe they are decent not average players.

Please don't try and compare the Scottish league to the Greek league because that is just ridiculous.

thats just your opinion, i don't think there's much to choose between the 2.

In football there's opinion and there's fact and I respect opinion. If you say La Liga is better than the Premiership then I'll disagree with you, but I'll respect your opinion. If however you say that the Fijian league is better than Serie A then I'll simply dismiss your opinion. This is one of those situations. If you take out Celtic and Rangers the Scottish league is weaker than the Cypriot league so I can't even dignify your implication that there isn't much difference between the Scottish league & the Greek league. It's a ridiculous comment.

In football there's opinion and there's fact and I respect opinion. If you say La Liga is better than the Premiership then I'll disagree with you, but I'll respect your opinion. If however you say that the Fijian league is better than Serie A then I'll simply dismiss your opinion. This is one of those situations. If you take out Celtic and Rangers the Scottish league is weaker than the Cypriot league so I can't even dignify your implication that there isn't much difference between the Scottish league & the Greek league. It's a ridiculous comment.

you could argue that if you take pao oly and aek out the greek league than that would be weaker than the cypriot league.

my opinion is ludicrous, yours is fact which you clearly proved with your fijian example.

you could argue that if you take pao oly and aek out the greek league than that would be weaker than the cypriot league.

my opinion is ludicrous, yours is fact which you clearly proved with your fijian example.

I've told you before, if you want to learn about football you've got to watch more than just British football. :P None of the teams outside the top 2 in Scotland are as good as Aris, Panionios, Larissa, or PAOK. Queen of the South just got KO'd of the UEFA Cup by the Someshitdansihteam FC that Olympiakos' worst ever B team just beat comfortably in Denmark for goodness sake. Go check the head to head record between the Scottish and Greek teams and see the discrepancy. Samaras is doing well, bravo tou, but we can't get over excited until he starts replicating that form against strong opposition, i.e. in the CL or for the NT. Until he does that we can't get over excited. He had a good start to his Celtic career last year in the league, but didn't score in the CL or for Greece. This year his first CL game was against Aalborg(!) and he drew a blank. When he starts performing consistently at the top level we can start getting excited, until then we have to conclude that he's average. Edited by DUDE

I've told you before, if you want to learn about football you've got to watch more than just British football. :P None of the teams outside the top 2 in Scotland are as good as Aris, Panionios, Larissa, or PAOK. Queen of the South just got KO'd of the UEFA Cup by the Someshitdansihteam FC that Olympiakos' worst ever B team just beat comfortably in Denmark for goodness sake. Go check the head to head record between the Scottish and Greek teams and see the discrepancy. Samaras is doing well, bravo tou, but we can't get over excited until he starts replicating that form against strong opposition, i.e. in the CL or for the NT. Until he does that we can't get over excited. He had a good start to his Celtic career last year in the league, but didn't score in the CL or for Greece. This year his first CL game was against Aalborg(!) and he drew a blank. When he starts performing consistently at the top level we can start getting excited, until then we have to conclude that he's average.
you compare cypriot league to the SPL without celtic and rangers but remember the TOP TWO(in terms of league position last season) greek sides were beaten by cypriot teams recently what does that tell you about our super league. if samaras gets 30 goals this season that will put him in the shop window more so than it would if he scored lots of goals in greece. also scottish teams have got a better record in europe, UEFA cup finalists in 03 and 08.

so celtic missed a penalty and failed to beat aalborg. oly and aek lose to cypriots sides.

for someone that needs to learn about football my euro 08 predictions wern't bad :D niether were my champions league predictions for last season.

you compare cypriot league to the SPL without celtic and rangers but remember the TOP TWO(in terms of league position last season) greek sides were beaten by cypriot teams recently what does that tell you about our super league.

It shows that this year's Olympiakos and AEK is miles behind last years Olympiakos and AEK... What's your point? Does that boost Samaras' acheivements?

if samaras gets 30 goals this season that will put him in the shop window more so than it would if he scored lots of goals in greece.

Scoring goals in the Scottish league will also put him in the shop window more than if he was scoring goals in Russia, but the Russian league is miles ahead. Every big footballing nation seems to have a feeder league. If a player plays excellently in Cyprus, the logical next step would be to move to Greece. A top North African player will probably be noticed by the French teams. The SPL is a British league and so the Prem (which is arguably the strongest league in the world) is the logical destination. Exposure has nothing to do with quality.

also scottish teams have got a better record in europe, UEFA cup finalists in 03 and 08.

Celtic and Rangers... I said that the Scottish league without the top 2 is weak. If anything this point adds weight to my claims. If Celtic and Rangers are soooo good and the rest of the league is s%$#! then of course a striker for Celtic is going to get goals. That doesn't make him top class. What makes him top class is to finish top scorer and produce internationally and in Europe (like Henrik Larsson used to do). Samaras is only scoring goals in Scotland.

so celtic missed a penalty and failed to beat aalborg. oly and aek lose to cypriots sides.

And Rangers got KO'd by Kaunas while Queen of the South lost to Someshitdanishteam FC. :LOL: What's your point?

You are essentially arguing that the Greek league is rubbish, that's a different discussion though. We are talking about the strength of the Scottish league, not relative to Greece, but in comparison to the rest of Europe. After all, we are discussing the level of Samaras' acheivements. The fact is he's scoring goals in one of Europe's weakest leagues while playing for its strongest team. When he plays against top quality opposition he disappears. This is worrying for us as Greece NT fans.

for someone that needs to learn about football my euro 08 predictions wern't bad  :D niether were my champions league predictions for last season.

I don't know what your predictions were, where they that Spain and Man Utd would pick up the trophies? WOW I'm sure you were the only one to guess that!

It shows that this year's Olympiakos and AEK is miles behind last years Olympiakos and AEK... What's your point? Does that boost Samaras' acheivements?

Scoring goals in the Scottish league will also put him in the shop window more than if he was scoring goals in Russia, but the Russian league is miles ahead. Every big footballing nation seems to have a feeder league. If a player plays excellently in Cyprus, the logical next step would be to move to Greece. A top North African player will probably be noticed by the French teams. The SPL is a British league and so the Prem (which is arguably the strongest league in the world) is the logical destination. Exposure has nothing to do with quality.

Celtic and Rangers... I said that the Scottish league without the top 2 is weak. If anything this point adds weight to my claims. If Celtic and Rangers are soooo good and the rest of the league is s%$#! then of course a striker for Celtic is going to get goals. That doesn't make him top class. What makes him top class is to finish top scorer and produce internationally and in Europe (like Henrik Larsson used to do). Samaras is only scoring goals in Scotland.

And Rangers got KO'd by Kaunas while Queen of the South lost to Someshitdanishteam FC. :LOL: What's your point?

You are essentially arguing that the Greek league is rubbish, that's a different discussion though. We are talking about the strength of the Scottish league, not relative to Greece, but in comparison to the rest of Europe. After all, we are discussing the level of Samaras' acheivements. The fact is he's scoring goals in one of Europe's weakest leagues while playing for its strongest team. When he plays against top quality opposition he disappears. This is worrying for us as Greece NT fans.

I don't know what your predictions were, where they that Spain and Man Utd would pick up the trophies? WOW I'm sure you were the only one to guess that!

no this does not boost his achievements, however it does seem to suggest that he's better off at celtic than in greece.

again this proves he's better off at celtic than playing in greece

And Rangers got KO'd by Kaunas while Queen of the South lost to Someshitdanishteam FC. What's your point?

the reason i brought up the greek league was to highlight that greek NT players play in greece vs weak opposition like toro and nini and they are not average, these are good players hence samara is not average just because he plays in scotland, you're too harsh on samara he played well in latvia(average opposition but thats not his fault) played well in turkey and never really featured in euro 08.

(queen of the south are not in the SPL by the way)

pure guess zero football knowledge.

Edited by js1000

Personally I agree with DUDE but I do think he is being abit harsh. Anyone who watches the SPL and the Superleague knows that the our league is miles ahead of the Scottish league, they are incomparable so its silly to over state samaras' acheivements. But sometimes a striker needs to score goals to re-find his confindence. I used to play youth football at quite a high level, when I was at Arsenal I was topscorer for two seasons running (I was a striker), but towards the end of that second season I got injured. I missed the first couple of months of the new season but never came back in the same form. So where i scored 20+ goals in my first two years in my third year i ended the campaign with 4 goals. I was told I wasn't needed any more so I left and went to a non-league (semi-pro team) called Dagenham and Redbridge. I obviously dropped level significantly but I was getting enough goals to get some confidence again and later that season I moved to Crystal Palace. I didn't make it as a pro in the end for a couple of reasons but the moral of the story is that dropping a level isnt always a bad thing DUDE. Samaras played in Holland which is a weak league and he showed promise, he moved to the prem where it didnt work out so he's moved to a weak league again. If he finishes top scorer he may attract enough interest to move to a big league again where his game will improve enough for him to offer something to ellada. Give him time, at the moment he's doing well.

Edited by Euro2004

guys... its good to see samaras scoring again like he used to in his herenveen days in dutch league.

many people will disagree with me but i believe samaras is not national team material.. okay he scores in the scottish league, but i think ofi can beat 9/10 of the teams in that league..

he has not really achieved much on national level..

guys... its good to see samaras scoring again like he used to in his herenveen days in dutch league.

many people will disagree with me but i believe samaras is not national team material.. okay he scores in the scottish league, but i think ofi can beat 9/10 of the teams in that league..

If he's not national team material and Charisteas is then you must be nuts.

Samaras has that raw skill. He was never able to properly use it at Man City but he's really a good player and he has the potential to b the best player for Greece. Right now he isn't but if he keeps up this form, his future is very bright.

another 2 goals today.....

DUDE, you might be winnign that bet for top goalscorer ;)

how many is he at total.....I feel like he scores every week now. :tup:

Scottish League may not be amazing, but hes getting experience playing and competitng for a championship team, on a respectable large club that also plays in CL.

People were calling for Lambros Who-Blows who has no IQ on the field and has been less than good at finishing latley.

I think other than the top 3-4, most teams in Scotland arent any good. But goals are goals, the goal is same size in every league, and Samaras needs to be finishing, and gaining confidence- hes doing that, and he did play well vs Latvia one of the better games hes ever played in blue....so I see positives coming out to this......enough SPL bashing, I seriously doubt most teams in Greece would breeze past hearts and aberdeen, for gods sake Panionios could barely get past OFK Belgrade, and Aris fell apart against Slaven Belupo who were trash team....so come on, I know Superleague is better, but theres some limits...its still top league european football.....

Edited by drakos13

I disagree, I think he's def national team material (for our NT level anyway), but he still needs to work VERY hard to acheive anything at the top level. Look at his first goal today for example (the one the Genome has kindly provided the link for). It was very well taken but in what other league in Europe would you find a striker that isn't that quick (i.e. Samaras) pick the ball up from the right side behind the half way line, run past the full back then cut in where there is no centre-back and slide the ball in. Look at the replay of the goal (from 19secs on the video), apart from the VERY slow full back next to Samaras and the midfielder even further behind him, there is not one player behind the half way line in the whole of Kilmarnock's right side. It's a cliche, but in this instance, the defense is literally non-existant. That wouldn't happen in any other European league, not even in Cyprus. You don't even see defending like that on a Sunday league pitch in London. So although I agree that OFI would be one of the stronger sides in the SPL (probably finish 3rd), the fact is as a player you can only deal with what is in front of you. It's not Samaras' fault that the opposition is inept. He punishes them for that so bravo tou and he's still quite young so we can't write him off just yet, BUT before we all get too excited let's wait to see if he reproduces this at NT level or for Celtic in the CL.

As Euro2004 and Drakos say, this is a great situation for Samaras at the moment because he is taking his opportunity and scoring goals domestically, boosting his confidence in the process. But I'm getting annoyed that he says m*****es all the time. He recently said that he and Shaun Maloney would tear Rangers apart, but Celtic copped 4 at home and lost. He also said that he's joined a mega-club that's bigger than Man City and he expects great things in Europe. Then they drew 0-0 at home with Aalborg. Re m#$%! leave the big words aside and concentrate on improving your game, because you may be talented but in European football you're a nobody!

If he's not national team material and Charisteas is then you must be nuts.

Samaras has that raw skill. He was never able to properly use it at Man City but he's really a good player and he has the potential to b the best player for Greece. Right now he isn't but if he keeps up this form, his future is very bright.

have you even been watching the last 5-6 national team games???????

fair enough charisteas should not be in div 2 germany!

but he is one of 2 or 3 players who has been playing for our greek flag.

his work ethic is incredible and if all our players were playing with his determination we would have done something at euro.

put charisteas in a rangers or celtic top and he would do the same thing if not better..

fair enough charisteas should not be in div 2 germany!

but he is one of 2 or 3 players who has been playing for our greek flag.

his work ethic is incredible and if all our players were playing with his determination we would have done something at euro.

put charisteas in a rangers or celtic top and he would do the same thing if not better..

work ethic alone is not enough you need quality, put me in the national team and my determination and work ethic would be incredible too, charisteas is at the peak of his career samaras is 23, as an 18 year old playing in holland how did his goal scoring rate compare with charisteas' when charisteas was playing in holland ? charisteas doesn't score enough what makes you think he'd score more in scotland than samaras ?

why do we bash our best players like samaras and seitaridis, no matter how many goals he scores people will say its only scotland, what more can he do ?

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic