Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

dude, i agree with much of your post but lets not go overboard here. mitroglou offers not very much at the moment. he is totally overated. samaras is much much better. if he would play in greece he' d be one of the better strikers there if not the best. he has great technique and he is not thaaaaat slow either. what he lacks is the passion and the killer instinct. i agree he is too soft. somehow he starts to remind me of lympe. in the positive but also in the negative sense.

Guest TheLegend

lets not s%$#! on mitroglou either though. They are 2 different types of players and mitroglou has just been on a top team for the 1st time. Samaras has been in top competition for a few years now... although samaras AND mitroglou and very talented....

dude, i agree with much of your post but lets not go overboard here. mitroglou offers not very much at the moment. he is totally overated. samaras is much much better. if he would play in greece he' d be one of the better strikers there if not the best. he has great technique and he is not thaaaaat slow either. what he lacks is the passion and the killer instinct. i agree he is too soft. somehow he starts to remind me of lympe. in the positive but also in the negative sense.

The Mitroglou comment is figure of speech "o logos to exei" as the saying goes. Obviously he's not ready for NT football yet, but he's not overrated either. Whenever he plays he seems to score, he's very strong (and will only get stronger as his physique matures), he's good in the air, he's hard-working and clever. He needs to refine all these attributes of course, but he has the tools/weapons to go to the top. Samaras is more experienced and refined, but when Mitroglou is his age I guarantee he'll be better.

As for Samaras being the best striker in Greece... :LOL: Sorry re file, but with all due respect, that's ridiculous! He'd be nowhere near the best, no where near! Lybe, Blanco, Salpi, Kovacevic, Lua Lua, Manucho, Djibbour, Metin, Konstantinou (when fully fit) are all better than Samaras. And Choutos, Metin, Cleyton, Radzinski & Koke could all make strong cases for being more effective than Samaras. Sorry, but Samaras is nowhere near the top strikers in Greece.

Guest TheLegend

The Mitroglou comment is figure of speech "o logos to exei" as the saying goes. Obviously he's not ready for NT football yet, but he's not overrated either. Whenever he plays he seems to score, he's very strong (and will only get stronger as his physique matures), he's good in the air, he's hard-working and clever. He needs to refine all these attributes of course, but he has the tools/weapons to go to the top. Samaras is more experienced and refined, but when Mitroglou is his age I guarantee he'll be better.

As for Samaras being the best striker in Greece... :LOL: Sorry re file, but with all due respect, that's ridiculous! He'd be nowhere near the best, no where near! Lybe, Blanco, Salpi, Kovacevic, Lua Lua, Manucho, Djibbour, Metin, Konstantinou (when fully fit) are all better than Samaras. And Choutos, Metin, Cleyton, Radzinski & Koke could all make strong cases for being more effective than Samaras. Sorry, but Samaras is nowhere near the top strikers in Greece.

Btw Mitroglou scored 2 goals today :nw:

he always scores

As for Samaras being the best striker in Greece...  :LOL: Sorry re file, but with all due respect, that's ridiculous! He'd be nowhere near the best, no where near! Lybe, Blanco, Salpi, Kovacevic, Lua Lua, Manucho, Djibbour, Metin, Konstantinou (when fully fit) are all better than Samaras.  And Choutos, Metin, Cleyton, Radzinski & Koke could all make strong cases for being more effective than Samaras. Sorry, but Samaras is nowhere near the top strikers in Greece.

Btw Mitroglou scored 2 goals today :nw:

he always scores

The kid's a paixtara.

i have to say mitroglou doesnt impress me at all. being a greek from germany he does have a certain bonus from me but if i look at his play... i thought he sucked at the u-19 tournament and at olympiakos he isnt that great either. even today i saw great deficits. BUT he does score goals. although today he had more luck than anything..given how clumsily he gave away 100% chances...just not a fan of him.

as for samaras best striker in greece...maybe i exagerated but i do believe him to offer a bit more than lympe, who i am a big fan of, salpi, papadopoulos, and co. choutos i do rate very highly.

Guest TheLegend

i have to say mitroglou doesnt impress me at all. being a greek from germany he does have a certain bonus from me but if i look at his play... i thought he sucked at the u-19 tournament and at olympiakos he isnt that great either. even today i saw great deficits. BUT he does score goals. although today he had more luck than anything..given how clumsily he gave away 100% chances...just not a fan of him.

as for samaras best striker in greece...maybe i exagerated but i do believe him to offer a bit more than lympe, who i am a big fan of, salpi, papadopoulos, and co. choutos i do rate very highly.

mitroglou...wasnt he the top scorer at the u-19? how doesnt he impress if hes a foward that scores goals..

samaras is very incosistent..that was his problem in manchester..

but i disagre with you dude as far as his skill...he is 6 feet 4 inches tall and not that lanky, he is one of the best with has back to the goal and bring the long ball down and controlling it. He is relatively fast especially considerin his size and is deadly in the air due to his size.

I agree with aek as his two biggest problems it seems like is that scorer's/killers instinct and seems like hes missing that pathos and tsambooka on the field.

He no doubt is worth of teams such as manchester and celtic in my opinion he just needs to work on his finishing, and consistently finishing which he has done thus far at celtic

I think you all approach this from 2 extremes, either that he's realllly talented (AEK66) or completely useless (DUDE).

Admittedly I'm not a big fan of his and I don't think he can just bulk-up, he's got a naturally small frame and however much he works out he'll always be weak (relative to other pro-athletes that he competes against), yes he may improve slighlty, but nothing too drastic.

On the other hand, he's not completely useless. He's better than Tumer, Koke and Radzinski re DUDE, don't undermine the kid too much.

As for Crouch, he's not great at heading but he's great at jumping. As since people seem to like talking about championship manager on here :P he might be rated 20 (the max) for jumping, and a 15 for heading. But if that's the case Samaras would be a 15 for jumping and and 13 for heading. He's tall but he doesn't make runs ahead of the defender for example. Samaras never meets the ball, he jumps up, if it hits him on the head then so be it.

Look how in of none of these Shearer headers does he out-muscle a defender, yet Samaras wouldn't have scored any of them. It's because he doesn't have the explosion nor tactical know-how, to make that last second explosive sprint to get ahead of the defender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoYI2A0FJdg (sorry for not puting the video up directly, i don't know how to do it). - Note by moderator: Instructions on how to post YouTube Movies have been posted here

So he's not just weak but lethargic and although he can't bulk-up too much he can work on explosive-cardiovascular training combined with tactical running. But it's up to him or his coaches to identify that. Therefore in my humble opinion AEK66 is overrating him and AEKROSSOPONTI is way off when saying he'd be one of the best in Greece. But DUDE is also overlooking his potential, he's potentially a very good forward and has more potential than many other Greek forwards who might currently be better than him, like Choutos or Salpiggidis for instance. Whether he fulfils that potential is a different matter because we've been talking this kid up for a while and he isn't progressing at an acceptable rate, but he can do it if he has the right people around him.

i don't think the issue of samaras adding muscle to his frame is debatable. no one here is wanting samaras to compete in mr. universe. if samaras wishes to add some 8-10 lbs /4-4.5 kilos/3/4 of a stone (i beleive) of muscle, it can certainly happen, under the guidance of club trainers and nutritionists.

I have no doubt that he can add muscle, but I because of his naturally small frame that muscle won't make much of a difference to him. He's tall and slight, he'll never be strong, whatever he does. So he needs to become more explosive in his game (which is a type of fitness in itself).

• 2 weeks later...

Good for him. If he can get into top form before the Euro, he should be able to push Charisteas for a starting spot (although realistically, I'm thinking that Otto uses him as a sub). Seems to be developing a knack for scoring off corners, which is good considering much of our offense depends on free kicks and corners.

Good for him. If he can get into top form before the Euro, he should be able to push Charisteas for a starting spot (although realistically, I'm thinking that Otto uses him as a sub). Seems to be developing a knack for scoring off corners, which is good considering much of our offense depends on free kicks and corners.

Yes but we have to remember that the defences at the Euros will be much more organized than Motherwell's. I mean just look at the goal the conceded against Samaras & you'll see why I rate the Scottish league (apart from the top 2) as the same level with Cyprus.

Has Samaras ever scored from a corner against a good team? In fact, has Samaras ever scored any sort of goal against a good team because I can't remember one.

Yes but we have to remember that the defences at the Euros will be much more organized than Motherwell's. I mean just look at the goal the conceded against Samaras & you'll see why I rate the Scottish league (apart from the top 2) as the same level with Cyprus.

Has Samaras ever scored from a corner against a good team? In fact, has Samaras ever scored any sort of goal against a good team because I can't remember one.

Dude I agree with you that the scottish league sucks. But give the guy a break. Motherwell had a completly unorganised D but he did well to find get the ball and finish it easily.

What to see a nice goal agastn a good team?

Check this one out vs West Ham

What do you got agasnt him? :P

Dude I agree with you that the scottish league sucks. But give the guy a break. Motherwell had a completly unorganised D but he did well to find get the ball and finish it easily.

In DUDE's defence West Ham were not a good side last year. They only survived relegation by 3 points.

I see your point DUDE but I'd rather Samaras be scoring just the same, even if it is against weak opposition. At least we know that his accuracy is good and when he does get an opportunity, he'll bury it. It's the sort of clinical finishing that we'll need at the Euro. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to light up the tournament. But you can't deny that with his size, he will be a threat on nearly every set piece Greece take.

Guest TheLegend

In DUDE's defence West Ham were not a good side last year. They only survived relegation by 3 points.
Some goals whether against "weaker" or stronger opposition are nice goals. How can you tell me the goal where he chested and ripped the shot into the far post with a nice dip is a crappy goal. And who cares if goals are crappy. They count as long as they pass the line. You make it sound as if gekas only scores against munich.

How are you buddy?

I don't have anything against him as a person. Unlike many others I don't actually consider the kid to be arrogant. I'm a little disappointed in his character, i.e. his laziness. But overall he strikes me a decent kid.

However, I don't rate him as a player and the reason I come across as so anti-Samaras is because I think there are great negatives associated with him being so overrated. For example, if people with great influence (such as the Greek media and fans collectively) rate him so much, this is bound to seep into footballing decisions. So, although Samaras isn't as good as Lybe or Salpi (in my opinion) the hype that surrounds him may earn him a place in the team instead; and the Greek team will suffer as a result.

Secondly, I remember that a few of us had a discussion on here not long ago about the reasons Greek players are so underrated overseas. Just to remind you the discussion was filled with questions similar to:

"why is it that Alex Fergusen for example is considering a

How are you buddy?

I don't have anything against him as a person. Unlike many others I don't actually consider the kid to be arrogant. I'm a little disappointed in his character, i.e. his laziness. But overall he strikes me a decent kid.

However, I don't rate him as a player and the reason I come across as so anti-Samaras is because I think there are great negatives associated with him being so overrated. For example, if people with great influence (such as the Greek media and fans collectively) rate him so much, this is bound to seep into footballing decisions. So, although Samaras isn't as good as Lybe or Salpi (in my opinion) the hype that surrounds him may earn him a place in the team instead; and the Greek team will suffer as a result.

Secondly, I remember that a few of us had a discussion on here not long ago about the reasons Greek players are so underrated overseas. Just to remind you the discussion was filled with questions similar to:

"why is it that Alex Fergusen for example is considering a

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic