Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

this player continues to disappoint me..

he had potential, he has lost it while he was at city..

not worthy of greek national team

Why the hell is he disapointing you? He hasnt played a full game yet. He has 3 goals and hit the post 2 times? and creates spaces and oppurtunities for his teamates. If hes not worth of the NT wtf is Vyntra Goumas Dellas Kapsis etc doing on the team.
You've named defenders, Samaras is a striker. The fact is, he's not as good/doesn't offer the threat of Haristea, Lybe, Salpi, Amanatidis, & Gekas
in the 4-3-3 with 2 defensive mids and Karagouni running around like a m#$%! ---Samaras DOES have a role -- he creaets from the wing better than anyone else on the team ---look at the Turkey game, and if you watch what he did at Bosnia he dominated---

he IS inconsistent but he is more talented and more gifted naturally than any other Greek player

AND he has always played hard when he's worn the Ethniki jersey

looking decent so far vs Barca

Otto has roles for all of

Gekas

Lybe

Amanatidis

Charisteas

Samaras

and Salpigidis

all will contribute in Aus/Swit

Guest TheLegend

im watching the celtic barca game. Samaras did start...

celtic are already down 1-0 3 mins in

samaras did not start....It says venegoor was taken out for him in 55' so yea..

Guest TheLegend

this player continues to disappoint me..

he had potential, he has lost it while he was at city..

not worthy of greek national team

Why the hell is he disapointing you? He hasnt played a full game yet. He has 3 goals and hit the post 2 times? and creates spaces and oppurtunities for his teamates. If hes not worth of the NT wtf is Vyntra Goumas Dellas Kapsis etc doing on the team.
You've named defenders, Samaras is a striker. The fact is, he's not as good/doesn't offer the threat of Haristea, Lybe, Salpi, Amanatidis, & Gekas
because you said in his position hes worthless for the NT. I name people who are worthless in their postion.

This guy is much mroe valuable on the feild then salpi because karagounis is s%$#! on the feild and creates havock... for the greece fans.... hoping we dont lose the game because of his poor performances...Samaras helps create....

No one else does... not even the midfeilders...

samaras should definately be on the national team and xaristeas consistently sucks..by all means i love him for euro 2004, but he has one good quality and one quality only, his header,

if he happens to catch on to a header and score great, but 9 games out of 10 he doesnt, and besides his header he is not fast, especially for a striker, and he is not a very technical player,

samaras can create opportunities as he can make things happen with the ball at his feet, he is faster, one of the best at controlling hte long ball..

IMO xaristeas should not be on the NT anymore but love him for euro 2004

you cant compare samaras with salpiggidis.. not at this point.. im sorry to say..

when salpiggidis and samaras were playing for paok and herenveen they were both scoring goals regularly and played exceptional football..

as they both stepped up to bigger teams panathinaikos and man city.. in my opinion only one of them continued to impress.. and i dont have to say who..

now to break down our forwards...

i think gekas and salpiggidis are good to do the job because as we know greece is a defensive team and tend to try get their goals on the breaks.. salpi and gekas have that type of pace to damage defecnces if they recieve a through ball on the break

i personally believe charisteas and amanatidis have recently hit career best form and are scoring regularly for their clubs they may be more suited vs sweden and russia..

samaras has stepped up since his move to celtic... what is it 3 goals from 4 or 5.. i think that is impressive.. however the teams he have scored against are comparable to an atromitos, levadiakos.. nothing special..

i think samaras and lymberopoulos can come on as subs if we run out of legs up front.. lymbe has proved he can be a super sub on many occasions but both have to fight for their 2nd half appearances with amanatidis and charisteas who i think are in much better form..

anyways, samaras claims the spl is better than the greek super league. hmmmm..

Samaras hasn't played in the Greek league.

he's getting a bit annoying now. i'm still a huge backer of his, but, he's getting annoying. the loud mouth/dumb goal celebrations go hand in hand with laziness in the gym. shut up and lift weights.

To be fair, what's he said that's so arrogant?

i read an article where samaras claims that pao were desperate to land him on loan in jan. from man. city...and i had hoped that aek would do that.

anyways, samaras claims the spl is better than the greek super league. hmmmm..

now, not only would i ban samaras from celebrating goals ala robinho/raul/toni until he adds some muscle to his frame, i'd also ban him from talking to the press until he does the same...add 3-4-5 kilos of muscle.

he's getting a bit annoying now. i'm still a huge backer of his, but, he's getting annoying. the loud mouth/dumb goal celebrations go hand in hand with laziness in the gym. shut up and lift weights.

leagues are similar -but the SPL is a better jumping board to the big leagues --coming back to Greece is not usually a route that will get you to a bigger club/league-- it has worked but staying abroad is bette forhim

as far as vassell, you waited 9 days until vassell scored to reply? hmmm...

hey - can you give me a progress report on the citizens and vassell? i heard a rumor that they've gone some 300 goal-less minutes (s-v-g cell phone plan?) and have now fallen behind villa and blackburn.
The reason that they're not getting goals is because Bianchi left them and Benjani has just arrived and yet to settle. It's not because Samaras left.

Guest TheLegend

hey - can you give me a progress report on the citizens and vassell? i heard a rumor that they've gone some 300 goal-less minutes (s-v-g cell phone plan?) and have now fallen behind villa and blackburn.
City is doing terrible compared to their start. To much hype about nothing. They will finish tipical mid table Good thing Samaras got out. Celtic is a MUCH better team for him to play at. Europe as well..

I have a feeling Samaras will be one to watch at Euro 2008

ti les re? :LOL:

out of the whole competition or in Greece NT?

he might not even get a game at euro... i think Gekas will be the one to watch for Greece.

But the one to watch in euro would be someone like torres.. ronaldo.. imbrahimovic etc..

not samaras lol

good to see samaras set up a goal for celtics equaliser..

Edited by levendi2000

The reason that they're not getting goals is because Bianchi left them and Benjani has just arrived and yet to settle. It's not because Samaras left.
ah, ok....thanx
I take it you disagree then? It's Samaras' blistering goal ratio that they miss?

We need to take everything with a grain of salt!! He started great at City then fell out of favor. Many reasons for that and we will never find out the truth of what really happened. I suspect their glamour boy Joey Barton had something to do with it and the fact that Stuart Pearce had no authoritative presence on the team. From there he slumped and lost his confidence. All players regardless of their skill level or sport rely on confidence. By deciding to go to Celtic was a great move for him. The fans are very supportive and the league is definitely offensive minded. We all know he is talented and right now all he needs is to be nurtured. Going in the EURO we need all our guns firing and for a change we actually have depth in many positions. Otto is a wiley coach and used a strong defensive scheme in 2004, now he might actually open it up and surprise our opponents again!!! :gr:

• 2 weeks later...

it was a good finish.. im glad to see him scoring like he used to at herenveen..

its funny when he scores.. he thinks he is untouchable.. i dont like a player that celebrates like he does.. he has always been arrogant and im not the first to say it

it was a good finish.. im glad to see him scoring like he used to at herenveen..

its funny when he scores.. he thinks he is untouchable.. i dont like a player that celebrates like he does.. he has always been arrogant and im not the first to say it

I'm surprised that so many people here think he's arrogant, I've never thought that. Wouldn't you rather have him high on confidence than low on confidence though?

The Celtic fans have really taken to him, and if that means he goes into Euro 2008 bubbling with confidence and ready to show his skill to the world, then I'm happy.

Great reaction as he comes on from the bench:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tft3sxF8PGg...feature=related

(Wost chant in the world!) "Ooh, Ah Samaras, Say ooh ah Samaras!" :LOL: :tup:

I'm surprised that so many people here think he's arrogant, I've never thought that. Wouldn't you rather have him high on confidence than low on confidence though?

ela dude.. just another example of his arrogance may come from an article in todays edition of the times:

“It doesn’t matter whether it’s Gretna, Rangers or Barcelona, I think I can score in all games,” Samaras said.

in answer to your other question i would personally prefer a down to earth player and a quiet achiever, someone who has respect for his opposition and does not talk wishfully about his capabilities in order to get into the starting 11.. for example with the statement samaras made above.. what if he doesnt score against the rangers and plays shocking.. wouldnt his comment sound irrelevant?

confidence is always good aslong as your not too overconfident.. i think samaras is the type of player who is over-confident

ela dude.. just another example of his arrogance may come from an article in todays edition of the times:

“It doesn’t matter whether it’s Gretna, Rangers or Barcelona, I think I can score in all games,” Samaras said.

in answer to your other question i would personally prefer a down to earth player and a quiet achiever, someone who has respect for his opposition and does not talk wishfully about his capabilities in order to get into the starting 11.. for example with the statement samaras made above.. what if he doesnt score against the rangers and plays shocking.. wouldnt his comment sound irrelevant?

confidence is always good aslong as your not too overconfident.. i think samaras is the type of player who is over-confident

You make a very good point file, I'm just not sure whether that is just plain confidence or over-confidence. It's rare for a player (particularly a striker) to be a queit over-acheiver. You have to have a certain arrogance, a self-belief, a flamboyane. You have to believe that no defender in the world can stop you. It's the only way to get goals. If he had Zlatko Zahovic type arrogance (i.e. saying he was too good to play with his fellow countrymen in the Slovenian national team), or Joey Barton (who said he was carrying the team and the foreign players need to pull their socks up), or Totti (who many times is too worried about the appearance of his hair rather than his performances) then it becomes a problem because it disrupts the team and negatively affects the players performance. Other than in a situation like that, it doesn't worry me what he says. In fact, in some cases it can help.

C. Ronaldo said he wanted to break Man Utd's goal-tally record in a single season (32 by George Best), he has 33 so far already.

Amanatidis said in an interview that he knew he would score the winner against Turkey and he was telling all his Greek teammates before the game... and he did.

Gerrard said that the Liverpool players got so wound up by Milan when they were 3-0 down at half time in the CL final that they knew they would come back! ( :o ).

Self-confidence is imperative for an athlete and if it's that or an inferiority complex which he had at Man City for a long time, then I'd rather he was confident. As long as it doesn't tip over into the Zahovic-Barton-Totti type arrogance it's all good file.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic