Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

i had also heard about the lazio rumors...today, i saw the nov. 21 corriere dello sport with samaras on page 1.

samaras is lazio's #1 target in this winter's transfer window. the article mentions that samaras is currently paid 1.2 million euro a year (25,000 euro a week) from man. city through 2010. lazio is mulling over how much they are willing to spend.

as far as samaras - the lazio scouts reported back that samaras is 'fast in the counter-attack' along with having 'great technical skills'. his height (1.92 m) is described as a plus along with his age (22), and they gave lazio the go-ahead to mull an offer, if the manager is willing to part with his alloted budget. the scouts also commented on his lack of playing time - but assured lazio it isn't a skill, injury nor personal issue with man. city...as sge and lazio are still 'friends'.

- thanks to a friend who translated the article for me.

aha thank you for bringing it to the forum.. where do you get all this italien info? I like those players post game ratings you always post? can i get a like please? :rolleyes:

i had also heard about the lazio rumors...today, i saw the nov. 21 corriere dello sport with samaras on page 1.

samaras is lazio's #1 target in this winter's transfer window. the article mentions that samaras is currently paid 1.2 million euro a year (25,000 euro a week) from man. city through 2010. lazio is mulling over how much they are willing to spend.

as far as samaras - the lazio scouts reported back that samaras is 'fast in the counter-attack' along with having 'great technical skills'. his height (1.92 m) is described as a plus along with his age (22), and they gave lazio the go-ahead to mull an offer, if the manager is willing to part with his alloted budget. the scouts also commented on his lack of playing time - but assured lazio it isn't a skill, injury nor personal issue with man. city...as sge and lazio are still 'friends'.

In other words, this supports exactly what I've been saying all along... if the issue isn't a skill, injury or personal problem then what else can it be? Work-rate and physicality are the only possible conclusions. Get the guy in the gym gamoto!!!

I question his work ethic not his character. To use the old cliche, the proof is in the pudding! Just because his coaches don't criticise him publicly doesn't mean s%$#!, that fact that almost every coach he's played under has dropped him from the starting 11 does.

You hit the nail on the head.

I like Samaras and I want him to succeed, but where's his drive and initiative? I'm sure Stuart Pearce secretly wishes he never spent all the money on him.

aha thank you for bringing it to the forum.. where do you get all this italien info? I like those players post game ratings you always post? can i get a like please? :rolleyes:
paxiotis7 - i have always paid alot of attention to italian football and everything that goes with it. currently, i have a few italian friends who are crazy about football and since i work with a few of them, football is discussed every day. we also get newspapers and sport magazines from europe every day..so, the info is always coming in.

i don't speak italian, i can understand a bit and comprehend alot more from reading. as far as the ratings, when i give a rating on a greek playing in italy, it's from either la gazzetta dello sport or corriere dello sport. whatever they gave in the pagelle. i don't rate ele's preformances myself, i've only seen him a few matches this year - which brings me to a fundamental complaint. rai international shows serie a, serie b, italian cup, football analytical and tactical shows, italian national team AND italian sides in europe. greek satellite tv has game shows and the greek gerasimos springos. is that a football culture?

ok :tup:

Samaras had his first start today in a long time. But apart from playing a horrendous pass on the edge of his own box which nearly led to a goal he did nothing and was subbed. Yet another poor game.

I respect your opinion Dude, yes the pass was a brain fart,but his game was not poor.Won alot of 1 vs 2 aerials,some nice chest controls,played well with his back to goal. Once again I saw a City team with no midfield creativity,Giorgios made some nice runs and got no service.

His outing was fair...not poor...thats my opinion. Bianchi did not look that great either,the guiy looked more like someone visiting the northpole..gloves turtleneck Hara sto paihti!!!!

I agree with Ofi-Mtl as I watched the game and he had a fair to good performance. What I found interesting is that every time he made a good play like a 1 touch pass with his chest or header the announcers completely ignored it. All they mentioned was his record signing. What a bunch of rubbish. Dunne is the only one on his team that actually looks for him on the pitch. Ireland scored a once in a lifetime goal and now all of a sudden instead of passing the ball to his strikers he's trying shots from impossible angles. There were a couple of chances where City was attacking on a 3 on 3 and you could see clearly Samaras had a step on his defender but he never saw the ball. What counts is that he was competitive and tried to create chances. If he gets the chance to play more often he will start to improve his overall results.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there still heavy rumors that samaras is heading on his way to lazio? Hes gotta get outta there. He cant even make the bench when they have a striker injured. Please get outta there in january!

Who knows exactly?

Now that Castillo is at Man City on loan from Shakhtar, Samaras can stay and act as his interpreter!

• 2 weeks later...

The Times online have compiled a list of the 50 worst ever Premiership transfers... Samaras came in as the 45th worst ever transfer. :tdown: I've not been happy with his performances either, but that's just ridiculous! I hope he moves and conquers the world!

After all, Kovacevic's move to Sheff Wed came in as 10th worst ever and look at what he went on to acheive.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2096584.ece

what's this? i've been talking about an aek approach for this anyways - nothing new from italian mme about lazio's supposed 'burning' interest. it will heat up in a bit, transfer season is approaching.

I hope it does. Hes got the talent to be dangerous for greece. Imo if he gets a new beggining and is used properly he will explode. Hed probably be third striker at lazio behind pandev and rocci.

interesting developement...bayern is actively pursuing pandev, which may open the door for a samaras lazio move.

the other news - inter is desperate for a defensive central midfielder, and are willing to pay 5-6 million euro for believe it or not - maniche.

a player certainly getting up in age - does anyone here think katsourani would be a better inter move?

Looks like Samaras may be on his way then. As for Katsouranis, he's a different sort of holding midfielder than Maniche. Cambiasso and Viera are too good for either Maniche or Kats though.

If the ethniki has one of there players starting in the prem week in week out, it could only get better.

So would samaras be playing playing with sven larsson up front? I dont no too much about the players on Birmingham

Being a backer of this young man..I am disapointed but not surprised by his comments that he wants out . Which shows his lack of selfconfidence and his will to work his way back up.

A word to the young Samaras " Quittters never Win and Winners never Quit!"

What upsets me is that recently on foxsports can. they had a Man City cup game and Samaras was all over the field scored a goal his 3 rd in 6 games, the announcers were raving. Now that things are not working out he wants to leave, I believe at the beginning of the season he wanted to fight for his spot,clearly not in Sven's plans he should have taken any transfer or loan to SHOW his worth.

I hope he reconsiders and goes to Birmingham or any bottom table team and helps to fight for relegation and for his REPUTATION and selfrespect.All athelets and us the everyday joe face adversity I was raised to take it straight on and knock it on its ass,but maybe thats the CanadianHockey mentality in me???

^its not so much of a canadian hockey mentallity that you have, its more of a don cherry. Don cherry would hate samaras because he has the talent but puts no effort . Well samaras didnt put effort into hes football at one point in his career. But this year has changed and hes beenworking hard very minute hes got and everythign hasnt really gone hes way.Someone like cherry would always critise samaras and never give him a chance. And now after getting chirped so hard in the english league sammaras wants to leave and you call him a quitter? He can defantly get a new start in spain or elsewhere and imo it would be better for him to leave his city career behind him. Birmigham would be the best move for samaras if he were to stay in england but i think hes taking someones advice, to get a complete new begging in a new league. Samaras was never ment for the prem ;)

He coulda been good but that malak stuart pierce desryoed his developpment.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic