Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

I disagree file, he did perform badly and deserves to be on his out. Look at the difference between Samaras' performance and Mpenza's, Bianchi now they've signed him. He was too lazy, too slow and too weak and that is why the City fans don't like him any more.

Many people in football consider talent/skill the most important thing, if that was the case though Denilson would have been the greatest player ever! "Effectiveness" is what's inportant and Samaras isn't effective. Games roll by and its like he isnt on the pitch. I mean what attributes does he actually have? He's weak, slow, lazy, misses too many chances, his movement isn't great and he is poor in the air for his height. Diladi ti prosfairi se mia omada? I've been saying this for ages, and I've been mocked by some of the posters here, now he's no longer in the Greece starting 11 and is a 5th or 6th choice striker for a mid-table English team.

He'll end up in Greece or Holland unless he ups his workrate, strength, and improves on his finishing.

You make some very good points, maybe it was just the games of city that I saw last year, but he seemed to do OK. I think in Samara's case being signed by Manchester City and being thrown into the fire at such a young age, was too much too fast for him, although a good young player is able to handle such pressure. I think he needs to go to a smaller club (possibly Greece) to polish his game and gain his confidence back. It reminds me of what happened to Freddy Adu (although Adu was much younger), he worked on his game and now is at Benfica.

Latest rumour is that Real Betis are interested in him! That would be a good move if he can secure it!

I agree, that would be an excelent move for him, and in my opinion will be playing in a better league.

o gkeas me kathetes ballies einai ekpliktikos. Alla se klisto xorw einai xalia.

o samaras einai kalos ean den tembeliazei. prepei na paei se allh omada na katalavei pws siga siga oi efxairies tha teliwsoun.

kai oso gia to lymbe. Mia zwh tembelis einai. Alla mirizei to goal. Ean eitane poio grigoros kai me poio poli tsabouka, autos tha eixe figei apo ellada edw kai xrovia.

Edited by nikosvazelas

Real Betis in Man City talks for Samaras

Article from August 19, 2007

Real Betis have approached Manchester City for striker Georgios Samaras.

The Greece international is being made available by City and Betis know they can land the forward for

Well that first season he was with Manthester when he started in January, he actually did quite well. But the second season things started to look rather bad; this has more to do with the fact that the ENTIRE TEAM were having problems. I've kept track of him and he really has a very promising ability. When he's playing well he can score really good goals. And he's going to get better. So he had one lousy season with Manchester, so WHAT. If he goes to Spain, that would be great.

What is his problem? Just go somewhere else! The jackass coach doesn't want him so why fight for a place? Besides, the team has been taken over by this criminal from Indonesia, I mean, what the hell? Are the fans taking any action over this? Do they care? And he wants to STAY? Its important for the NT that he gets playing time. If anything, he could come back to Greece though at this point I don't blame him if he doesn't want to. I would actually take him for PAO and sell Salpigidis; I'm really not that big on Salpigidis.

What is his problem? Just go somewhere else! The jackass coach doesn't want him so why fight for a place? Besides, the team has been taken over by this criminal from Indonesia, I mean, what the hell? Are the fans taking any action over this? Do they care? And he wants to STAY? Its important for the NT that he gets playing time. If anything, he could come back to Greece though at this point I don't blame him if he doesn't want to. I would actually take him for PAO and sell Salpigidis; I'm really not that big on Salpigidis.

If Samaras was to ever go to PAO, it wouldn't be Salpi losing his place, it would be Papadopoulos.

Man City are playing in the Carling Cup against Bristol City and they have a B team out (8 changes from the weekend, including players like Logan who are making their debut). And Samaras isn't even on the bench! Dicov is on the bench ahead of Samaras. Is Sven on crack or what? Dicov isn't half the player Samaras is! It's time to go Giorgo, if Sven isn't picking you ahead of Dicov there's no point in fight for your place, you'll never get another chance!

The fact that Middlesborough is interested is good news, the fact that Benfica is showing interested is great news, because it shows that teams are thinking that he posesses a lot of untapped talent. I hope he goes to a team that uses him correctly and motivates him to be the great player we have been waiting for. This will not only be good for him, but for the Greek National Team as well.

I hope he comes back and bites Manchester City and S.G. Erickson in the ass.

The fact that Middlesborough is interested is good news, the fact that Benfica is showing interested is great news, because it shows that teams are thinking that he posesses a lot of untapped talent. I hope he goes to a team that uses him correctly and motivates him to be the great player we have been waiting for. This will not only be good for him, but for the Greek National Team as well.

I hope he comes back and bites Manchester City and S.G. Erickson in the ass.

His talent (skill-wise) isn't in question, we know he has skill. After Lybe, he is probably our most naturally gifted striker. However, he hasn't worked hard enough to maintain his position at City, simple as that. Bianchi is different class so we won't even compare him to Samaras. Mpenza is a great athlete and gets goals so its also understandable why he is ahead of Samaras. But Dicov, Vassel, and Corradi should not even be comparable to Samara, and yet they have been so that only proves he hasn't done enough. In other words it's not a case of Samaras "coming back and biting them in the ass", they took a big gamble on him and believed in him and he hasn't paid them back! Hopefully this is a lesson to him and gets his act together.

The media has linked him with Lens (no longer interested), Betis (position now unknown), Benfica (interested) and Middlesborough (Very keen). Middlesborough were also interested in Alfonso Alves and Inter's Adriano on loan, and according to a British newspaper (Daily Mirror) they've shelved those moves in order to concentrate on Samaras, so I'm guessing he'll go there. However, problem is Middlesborough seem to be a dead-end club. They have a terrible fan turn-out at their games, they've just lost there only natural goalscorer (Yakubu) and they play some poor football. They actually remind me of City last year!!

Which ever team he goes to one can draw positives:

Betis play in the Spanish league which is technically superb, nonetheless he may be at the stage where he needs to start scoring consistently which may suggest that Benfica would be the best move for him. Also, Benfica have a slight problem penetrating defences and they drop a lot of points because of it. Our Ethniki suffers from a similar problem and if he learns how to find solutions to such problems he may be able to carry it into matches with the Ethniki.

Having said that, I'm a believer that playing against top opposition consistently keeps your level high because you're forced to maintain top form to compete, so Betis and Boro are preferable to Benfica in that respect. So which ever way he goes it could turn out to be positive for him, on the condition that he ups his work-rate on and off the pitch!

Please do it re Giorgo!

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic