Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

• 4 weeks later...

Thats how good players get rusty from sitting on the bench for to long :nono:

The title of 'good player' has to be earned. It is arguable that the worst strike force in the Prem belongs to City and Samaras still cant get in the team! He offers nothing! He's got talent but he's lazy, weak on the ball, a poor finisher, his movement is poor and his positioning is ridiculous. He doesnt get goals or assists and offers nothing to general play.

If he'd matured his career in Greece no one would think anything of him. I support every Greek player abroad and I hope Samaras becomes an excellent player but I doubt it.

If you were to look at all the Greek strikers PLUS the strikers that play in Greece where would Samaras rank? Imo opinion he'd be below (in no particular order):

Salpi,

Papa,

Konstantinou,

Okkas,

Castillo,

Miecel,

Lybe,

And possibly:

Gekas,

Amanatidis,

Julio Cesar,

Mantzios,

Haristeas,

Are all better then him!

@ethnikistis:

i really share your opinion on most issues but i think you are being extremely harsh on samaras. i dont watch much premier league football so i have little idea how he does at city BUT as i pointed out earlier he still has the most goals and assists of all of citys offensive players. city seems to be a terrible team with a weak midfield, so its obvious you will look stupid as a striker most of the time.

on the other hand, samaras was very good against norway and had a goal plus one assist against bosnia which salpi+amanatidis+gekas combined dont have for all their nt career. plus no club would pay the money city paid for any of the players you named and otto seems to value him although he doesnt usually field young players! technically he is much better than all the players you named except maybe lympe, konstantinou and okkas. but okkas needs a million chances for a goal, which is why 98% of olympiakos fans want him out.

amanatidis is much weaker than samaras. and at the end of the day its hard to compare samaras on a weak premier league side to players from other leagues. if he would play in greece, i believe he d probably be the best striker in our league.

salpi: is a powerful forward but not that great technically plus non existant aerially against strong defenses. i value him very highly but he has yet to prove that he can make a real impact on a strong international level. his lens performance was a good indication that he still has alot to offer. on par with samaras!

pap: i think he is great too and technically much stronger than salpi but he is totally out of form. on par with samaras!

konstantinou: if fit, i would say he is better than samaras.

okkas: can play some great football but horribly ineffective. samaras is better!

castillo: same as with okkas actually, hard to compare him to samaras as they play different positions.

mieciel: he s ot even a polish international. good super league player, no one knows if he has more to offer!

lympe: great player but very slow and immobile. tends to vanish in games but also has occasional moments of world class.on his day lympe is better than samaras, normally speakin samaras may offer more to the team.

gekas: good and lethal striker. in terms of goals probably better than pap and salpi. at the end of the day the three are very similar, if all three were in top form, i would prefer pap because he can actually play football over salpi and gekas. at the moment salpi is the best of the three. gekas on the nt hasn t worked until now.

amanatidis: if he gives his all, he can be good. on the regular, samaras is much better than amanatidis as shown on the ethniki.

julio cesar: samaras is better. except for the occasional great game, most of the time julio cesar doesnt show up against strong opposition.

mantzios: similar to samaras but not as strong physically and slow. so although i really am a mantzios fan, samaras is better!

haristeas: got us the euro, wicked in the air. hard to judge, his achievements speak for itself but he also has many no-show games.

on the ethnik at the momenti: i believe charisteas is set, i would then prefer samaras alongside him over salpi. but its a close call between the two, maybe they could make for a good duo as well. ottos 4-3-3 makes the decison hard because we may have stelios for the right side but no real option for the left side (lagos is injured). playing salpi or samaras as wingers doesnt do any of them justice.

Edited by aekrossoponti

i really share your opinion on most issues but i think you are being extremely harsh on samaras. i dont watch much premier league football so i have little idea how he does at city BUT as i pointed out earlier he still has the most goals and assists of all of citys offensive players. city seems to be a terrible team with a weak midfield, so its obvious you will look stupid as a striker most of the time.

File mou I understand why you like him having seen him in a few ethniki games. But ALL the Man City forwards are more effective and they have the same service, PLUS the midfield really isnt that bad with Ball, Barton and Dabo. The strikeforce is considered the weak link. And stats don't tell the full story. If he had many goal you could say that he is the archetypal striker but doesnt. Today's cup game against Preston Samaras scored, he took a weak shot from 4 yards that took 2 deflections and went in. <_< Whereas Corradi caused problems all day so who had the better performance? Corradi!

on the other hand, samaras was very good against norway and had a goal plus one assist against bosnia which salpi+amanatidis+gekas combined dont have for all their nt career. plus no club would pay the money city paid for any of the players you named and otto seems to value him although he doesnt usually field young players! .

I dont think he was particularly good vs Norway... he wasnt as good as Salpi was against England & Aus where Samaras was terrible. Not to mention Korea. As for the money paid for him, thats irrelevant because its widely considered that he isnt worth the

man city have signed another striker emile mpenza this would push samaras further down the pecking order. however he scored today a scrappy goal but didn't play that well today apart from the goal. he didn't get much service though and man city don't create many chances corradi and vassell have not done any better than samaras. he's young and holding his own in the toughest league and will improve further if he continues to play in england. what other greek striker could cut it in the premiership? don't be too hard on him and don't expect too much too soon its only his first full season in england

he does have more playing time but why is that? he used his chances and scored on his first two appearances something amanatidis, salpi and gekas have yet to do.

File 1 of the goals was a huge deflection and the both were in friendlies against weak opposition. As for the real reason he gets more playing time its a combination of reasons. (1) He was called up at a time when Greece were in a mini-crisis and once you establish your place with Otto its very difficult to be dropped. (2) Otto always looks abroad! He values other leagues alot more and the moment he went to City he was called up, whereas if you're looking at form he should have been called up when at Heerenveen! ;) Also, if your looking at form there isnt even a discussion in the Samaras vs Salpi debate at the moment, yet Samaras is guaranteed the spot! We all know Otto has his favourites.

about him not being good against norway i strongly disagree. he was constantly doubled or triple teamed by norways defence and still seldom lost the ball. he was all over the pitch. and he CREATED a 100% goal for amanatidis which amanatidis put to the post. remember in the scene, he outplayed the whole norwegian defense. i have NEVER seen anything similar from amanatidis, gekas or even salpi in the galanolevko jersey. NEVER!

Re file he wasn't THAT good against Norway. Go to the Greece/Norway topic, I gave him a 6 but you said I was being harsh on him, BUT even then, Aek66 who fancies Samaras only gave him a 7!! He worked hard but offered little else. As for the AMAZING run you speak of, it was a horizontal run across the defence with no pressure from the midfield. He evaded the defenders as oppose to taking them on. Then his cross was excellently turned but Amantidis who shifted his balance brilliantly. Dont get me wrong it was a great move by Samaras but what else did he do? Another striker who NEVER gave the ball away was Vryzas, even when he was well past it he never gave the ball away yet he wasnt a goal threat and we knew he had to be replaced. PLUS that was one game, usually Samaras is constantly losing the ball!

samaras got a goal and an assist against bosnia. you really cant say he doesnt produce at ethniki level. friendly games don t matter much but samaras wasnt particularly good vs australia and england. i agree. but i have yet to see a solid performance from amanatidis with the ethniki. salpi was good against australia. PERIOD, apart from that he showed nothing. BUT given his form now and his potential i would like to see him more. so if you happen to prefer salpi, i dont really disagree with you. salpi is also very good

As the phrase goes, "Stats: Lies, Damned Lies!". He hardly got an assist to write home about!! Stelios played a great cross field ball which should have put Samaras through but he pushed the ball too far forward so couldnt get a shot away. He passed a 7 yard ball on the floor which Patsa finished excellently. His goal was a strikers goal, after a great ball from Patsa he tapped it in but his movement was good. His overall contribution to Greece's general play has been pathetic so yes I can say he doesnt produce at the ethniki. Salpi was great against Aus, and he was very good against England AND in both games he played out of position on the right wing!!!

amanatidis lost his place in the frankfurt team and i would pick samaras over amanatidis every day. why? on his very best day amanatidis will be able to play what samaras did vs norway. there is no superb potential in him. and i see him nearly every week, he is an average bundesliga striker nothing more. forget amanatidis for the moment.

Yes and Samaras has been dropped from Man City's team and he is WAY below average in the Prem. I see Samaras every weak, EVERY weak, and he is s%$#! in the Prem. Simple. Not average, not ok, s%$#!! The Man City fans want him out & the media have crucified Pearce for spending

Re file he wasn't THAT good against Norway. Go to the Greece/Norway topic, I gave him a 6 but you said I was being harsh on him, BUT even then, Aek66 who fancies Samaras only gave him a 7!! He worked hard but offered little else. As for the AMAZING run you speak of, it was a horizontal run across the defence with no pressure from the midfield. He evaded the defenders as oppose to taking them on. Then his cross was excellently turned but Amantidis who shifted his balance brilliantly. Dont get me wrong it was a great move by Samaras but what else did he do?

its o.k. to differ on opinions, ethnikistis, and if you tell me you prefer salpi over samaras i wont disagree with you because salpi at the moment is in grat form!

BUT your ratings for the norway game were ridiculous. you gave samaras the same rating as charisteas, who did nothing. according to your ratings amanatidis was better than samaras in the game. aek66 was giving samaras a 7.5 which was the highest rating on our team. he refrained because samaras was booked.

as much as you want to downplay the norway game and samaras goals and assists, i tell you once again salpi and amanatidis in their whole ethniki career have not shown half of samaras "amazing norway run"!

if you talk about salpi being great and very good in his few showings for the ethniki, i dont agree. what did salpi show against australia? what did he produce? at the end of the day nothing, i mean lagos even had a great shot on goal. i agree that salpi is a great player for our ethniki but until today with the ethniki he hasnt produced. what did he show against england other than that he was afraid at this level...

dont get me wrong, samaras was horrible in australia and england and salpi on the ethniki is something i would love to see but you are overhyping salpi. he has not shown anything in the galanolevko up to date.

i wont even discuss amanatidis, who is a total no-show nearly every time he plays.

for me samaras is much better than amanatidis. whatever you believe to see in amanatidis was never shown at ethniki level. not even glimpses...

samaras may suck at man city for whatever reason. that doesnt make him a weak player though. charisteas did nothing at bremen and won us the euro..i agrree 100% that samaras has to step his game up drastically but on the ethniki when it counted he produced. you can t argue about that.

if he would play in greece, i would believe him to make a lympe-type career!

the reason otto values players from abroad is because the greek league is one of the worst in europe. as for picking players on form then your team will change every game and there will be no cohesion. remember the saying form is temporary class is permanent. arsenal wanted samaras but wenger was unwilling to pay that much for him and if wenger is interested in a player then he usually has something about him.GIVE HIM TIME

the reason otto values players from abroad is because the greek league is one of the worst in europe. as for picking players on form then your team will change every game and there will be no cohesion. remember the saying form is temporary class is permanent. arsenal wanted samaras but wenger was unwilling to pay that much for him and if wenger is interested in a player then he usually has something about him.GIVE HIM TIME

Wenger was able to pay the

These numbers don't lie  Games - goals

S  Evangelos Mantzios    5  1 

S  Angelos Charisteas    54  15 

S  Theofanis Gekas      10  0 

S  Ioannis Amanatidis    14  0 

S  Georgios Samaras    6  3 

S  Nikolaos Liberopoulos    46  9

Like I said, stats can lie! Samaras has 3 in 6 which is a great record, but 1 was a HUGE deflection and all were against weak opposition, PLUS, imo he has offered nothing to the teams play. Whereas Salpi has made a difference in the teams play what ever position he played. Anway this is a conversation that could go on for ever, every one has there own opinions and thats the beauty of football and Phantis. Its great having discussions with various posters like Aekrossoponti, Loup, etc and we all see different things. I have formed my opinion about Samaras because I have seen him every week for 2 years not just the 6 ethniki matches. Hopefully he proves me wrong and bags a couple of goals against Turkey and starts producing for City because if not his days are numbered in the Prem and I guarantee if he goes to Greece he'll disappear from the ethniki. Aekrossoponti said that if Samaras went to Greece he'd have a Lybe type career, I think there's no way he'd be that successful, but let's say for arguments sake he was as good, look at what a fringe role Lybe plays! ;) Good luck Samara, and win us the game against the Turks! :gr: Edited by Ethnikistis

Why the bitterness Ethnikistis, I understand most fans can not handle athletes who have TALENT and waste it. I saw the 1st half of Samaras last game, you said he was sub par, but in the 1 st half I counted 3 good runs and at least 3 perfect cross field passes to wingers making runs.

I understand why we are upset because he is not scoring at a rate that we wnted, we are all longing for that # 1 striker....well N.Machlas was the last and unless M.Samaras wakes up from his slumber I don't like the others availabe.

He has the best skill set from all available strikers like it or not!

Man City offers no creative midfield play Barton is a kolopaido who can t serve the strikers. Either Man city cant scout but all their strikers have not filled the net.

Lets all hope that he fulfills his super potential

Why the bitterness Ethnikistis, I understand most fans can not handle athletes who have TALENT and waste it. I saw the 1st half of Samaras last game, you said he was sub par, but in the 1 st half I counted 3 good runs and at least 3 perfect cross field passes to wingers making runs.

I understand why we are upset because he is not scoring at a rate that we wnted, we are all longing for that # 1 striker....well N.Machlas was the last and unless M.Samaras wakes up from his slumber I don't like the others availabe.

He has the best skill set from all available strikers like it or not!

Man City offers no creative midfield play Barton is a kolopaido who can t serve the strikers. Either Man city cant scout but all their strikers have not filled the net.

Lets all hope that he fulfills his super potential

There's no bitterness, if Samaras wants to be lazy and blow his talent then F*** him. I live in England and practically support Man City and Bolton because they have Greeks in the team so trust me I want Samaras to do well! If he wants to be lazy then fine its his problem not mine so although its frustrating I won't be bitter. HOWEVER, as a Greek I want the best for Greece and his presence is stopping Salpi or Lybe featuring, both of whom are better players thats why I'm frustrated, but not bitter.

As for him playing well in the last game... Maybe its because you're used to watching Ofi so your standards are low :P (just joking dude). The fact is, Stuart Pearce, the Man City fans and the media gave criticised him for his lack of contribution. Also, when Samaras scored the commentator said "He's done nothing all game but has popped up with a goal!". At the end of the game Alan Shearer (acting as a pundit) said "If City want to go on a run in the cup they'll need alot more from the front 2". So I dont know how you can call the performance, against PRESTON a good performance!

As for Barton, he's just been called up to the England squad and Liverpool have shown interest in him. Trevor sinclair (former NT) provides many crosses, Ball (former PSV) works hard and whips in a decent ball and Dabo (former Inter Milan) player switches with Hamman, both of whom are good passers. That's still not mentioning the service Micah Richards provides from right back! Saying that the forwards dont get service is just not true, they just dont do anything with the ball!

Like i said this could go on forever so lets just wait and see how his career progresses I just hope that Salpi gets a fair chance though.

Edited by Ethnikistis

From the Ethniki matches and the dozen or so times I've seen him on Man city I think that he undoubtably the most talented offensive player we have - he is the best on the ball for sure.

He has the imagination we are missing since Demis ,and more so Tsartas, have called it quits.

Now I can see why he is frustrating - and I understand and respect where Ethnikitis is coming from - but I see (or maybe hope) that this guy is a future difference maker for our team

The other forwadrs, save Charisteas, sometimes Lybe and once-upon-a-time Paps, have been really useless while wearing thte national blue.

Edited by loup

There's no bitterness, if Samaras wants to be lazy and blow his talent then F*** him. HOWEVER, as a Greek I want the best for Greece and his presence is stopping Salpi or Lybe featuring, both of whom are better players thats why I'm frustrated, but not bitter.

i dont want to go on endlessly but if you happen to bring up lympe and say that samaras is stopping the better lympe, then i have to strongly disagree.

lympe is probably the epitome of the lazy and blowing his talent footballer. here we have a player who in younger years seemed to be THE greek player but if we are honest never achieved anything. no title, no european recognition ever, nothing. at the moment lympe is in catastrophic form. on his day he is superb but how often does he deliver this form? very seldom. remember his no-show against the danes, i can t remember him touching the ball AND i never posted this because at heart i am a lympe fan, his poor defense allowed his man to be open and to score for denmark after the corner.

besides the fact that lympe often vanishes totally in games, he is also very very slow. this is the big plus on behalf of samaras, you can say what you want but he is quick. in terms of talent and technique, i would say samaras and lympe may be very similar. so samaras starting instead of lympe is not a real problem.

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic