Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

Samaras appears to be on his way out of Celtic after only being offered a one year extension on his contract. I think this was a very shrewd move by the Celtic board. Samaras can either be great or terrible and if you speak to 90% of Celtic fans and ask them to use one word to describe him they'll say "frustrating". (If you guys know any Celtic fans, try it! Or go to their message boards. They all say the same thing). Most of them also agree that he's lazy and just not committed enough. However, whenever he's been up for contract renewal he seems to have put in great performances just before that. So by offering him a short term contract with the option of renewal it will always keep him motivated.

Unfortunately, the nature of modern day football gives players an awful lot of power and Samaras would rather have contract security. I can understand that though because there's always a concern of picking up a long term injury and being left out of contract without financial support. Not that he needs it of course! :rolleyes: Nonetheless it appears that both parties are looking at the situation in a different manner and they'll probably be parting ways as a result. I've posted the article from the Daily Record below, but before I do i think a post that a Celtic fans was really interesting and one I agree with to be honest. He wrote:

I think this is a shrewd move by Celtic and will show Samara's commitment to the club and also his beliefe in his own ability, I think more clubs should treat inconsistency like this, if Samaras thinks he's good enough there shouldn't be a problem, if he wants to play for Celtic then he should grab the contract with both hands... however I don't think either applies and he'll go... I'll thank him for the Rangers perfomance and wish him well but I won't be overly concerened we can't find a better replacement.

When you consider his talent compared to those of his counterparts, one can only blame him for his current situation.

Here's the article:

Gutted Georgios Samaras set to snub new one-year deal at Celtic

Jan 11 2011 By Craig Swan

GEORGIOS SAMARAS will quit Celtic after the club put a 12-month contract extension on to the table.

The Greek, left, will move from Glasgow having had his dreams of a longer stay crushed by Parkhead bosses.

Samaras' term at Celtic looked to be ending when negotiations over a new contract stalled at the end of last year and his current deal set to expire at the end this season.

But his heroic Old Firm performance at Ibrox last week - when he scored both goals in a 2-0 victory - brought him rocketing back into the affections of the fans and boss Neil Lennon.

Lennon immediately insisted he wanted the striker to remain part of the set-up and sources close to the player have revealed Samaras would be happy to stay at Celtic for the rest of his career.

However, the short-term offer put on the table by the Parkhead powerbrokers has convinced Samaras his future lies elsewhere.

Lazio head a clutch of clubs across Europe willing to fork out for the World Cup star and take him before the close of this month's transfer window.

But even if this does not happen the 25-year-old attacker will go at the end of his current deal if Celtic do not reassess their offer.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-22841146/

• 3 weeks later...

No move materialised for Samaras which reflects badly on him in my opinion. He'd rather sit on the bench than take a pay cut and leave. The Juventus rumour appeared to be nothing more while more rumours emerged that Sunderland were interested in Samaras. Either way, he's opted to stay despite being told he's surplus to requirements

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No move materialised for Samaras which reflects badly on him in my opinion. He'd rather sit on the bench than take a pay cut and leave. he's opted to stay despite being told he's surplus to requirements

Celtic striker Georgios Samaras has signed a new three-year deal to keep him at the club until 2014.

The 26-year-old Greek had been free to speak to other clubs as his contract was due to run out in the summer.

"I never wanted to leave. I don't care about other clubs, and I gave the manager my word I wouldn't sign a pre-contract." said Samaras.

"I was focused on how to get a deal with Celtic.

Celtic coach Johan Mjallby was pleased to have finally secured the Greece international's services.

"It's a great signing," he said.

"He's obviously the kind of player that we wanted to keep.

"He's got something special and sometimes he can be unplayable."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/9428818.stm

re euro how do you go from 'surplas to requirements' to a 3 year contract in 6 weeks ?? obviously celtic think highly of him to give him 3 more years

I live in the UK and have been following the situation closely. Samaras wanted a long term deal but because of his inconsistency Celtic would only offer him a one-year extension. Samaras refused to sign a short term deal and Celtic were saying he was likely to leave and wasn't needed. Then he put in a series of excellent performances and secured his contract.

Here's also an article regarding his contract extension which explains how people view him at Celtic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...r-long-run.html

"new deal for 'enigma' Georgios Samaras hints that Neil Lennon will stay for long run

He is by no means the most popular Celtic player with the club’s support but the news that Georgios Samaras has signed a three-year extension to his contract could be seen as confirmation that Neil Lennon will stay at Parkhead to consolidate the team he has built in his first year in charge.

Samaras, who is capable of maddening the Hoops faithful with his inconsistency, has nevertheless become a consistent irritant to Rangers of late,

"

So am I, along with all Celtic's fans and this reporter, anti-Samaras? I'm merely stating the facts. He was considered a liability and wasn't offered a new contract. He then played excellently for a few games and got his 3 year deal. What's worrying though is that he has absolutely tormented Rangers of late (in their 3 matches before today) and then today he was quiet in the CIS Cup Final where Rangers beat Celtic 2-1. Why am I, and countless other Celtic fans, not surprised? It's the same old Samaras. An abundance of talent, but limited passion = inconsistency, which is why he's scored 2 goals in 18 appearances this year. That's 1 every 9 games despite being up against the likes of St Mirren.

We obviously disagree on Samaras but to be honest i'm a bit confused as to what we disagree about exactly. We agree that he's talented. So do we disagree on his consistency? Do you think those stats are acceptable? Please tell me where we disagree exactly

So am I, along with all Celtic's fans and this reporter, anti-Samaras? I'm merely stating the facts. He was considered a liability and wasn't offered a new contract. He then played excellently for a few games and got his 3 year deal. What's worrying though is that he has absolutely tormented Rangers of late (in their 3 matches before today) and then today he was quiet in the CIS Cup Final where Rangers beat Celtic 2-1. Why am I, and countless other Celtic fans, not surprised? It's the same old Samaras. An abundance of talent, but limited passion = inconsistency, which is why he's scored 2 goals in 18 appearances this year. That's 1 every 9 games despite being up against the likes of St Mirren.

We obviously disagree on Samaras but to be honest i'm a bit confused as to what we disagree about exactly. We agree that he's talented. So do we disagree on his consistency? Do you think those stats are acceptable? Please tell me where we disagree exactly

he was never told that he was 'surplas to requirements' because since you posted that he featured in every game, you made him sound like a mercenary who would rather not play than take a pay cut, which is not the case.

regarding the stats the fact is alot of those appearances were out on the left - not up front - and alot of them were off the bench and he got himself injured straight after his brace vs rangers which set him back another couple of weeks.

although having said all that i think waiting til the summer may have been a better option for him before signing his extention.

You misunderstood me, i certainly don't think he's a mercenary. I think he loves Celtic. I also think he's very lazy though and i'm not the only one. Regardless of where he plays/has played. Whether it's up front, as a left forward or as a number 10 type player he has games where he's great but also when he's poor and his form seems to depend on his level of effort. So when he has something to prove and is playing to secure a contract he tries hard and performs well because he has the talent, but once the contract is secure and he knows he'll have a place in the squad he gets complacent.

If we both agree that he's talented why was he on the verge of leaving then? Why is he so unpopular with large segments of the Celtic faithful? Surely we agree he's more talented than Stokes and Hooper. So why are they loved more than he is?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well i hate to say it but i'm starting to be even more convinced that i was right. Samaras started to work hard and play well when his contract was up for renewel, since then he's stopped trying again and he has been dropped. In the last game at ICT they lost 3-1 away and Lennon didn't even have the trust in him to throw him on when they were chasing a goal, and today they are winning 0-2 at Kilmarnock and he's not even on the bench

• 2 weeks later...

Samaras played and scored in the last game of the season as Celtic beat Motherwell 4-0. Rangers won the league though.

He ended up with 3 goals in 22 appearances, his worst return since he's been in Scotland. I actually can't believe they offered him a new contract. I bet they are kicking themselves for believing he'd maintain that short run of good form. Sorry, but he's a disgrace. With his talent he should be scoring at least 20 foals a season there, not averaging a little worse than 1 in 7!

You give this guy way too much credit. He's had yet another poor season

he's just picked up some silverware, you should be happy for him instead of slating him constantly.

i wish more of our players would go abroad, and win things.

i agree...sure his play was below par this year and his return was bad, but for another season? last year he scored 10 and the year before 15, not to mention all of the assists that he gave...he helped win a cup, be happy for him, support the fact that a greek plays on a cup winning club and one with so much history...instead of constantly bashing him..sure we should pick out his faults, but constant bashing does no good...

samaras gets alot of slack, its evident that one of the major attributes he lacks, which effects him greatly, is his fragile mentality...players like him need support...

bravo to him and k. papadopoulos who were able to win silverware with their clubs unlike gekas, tzavellas and kone who were fixtures in clubs that got relegated..more so in the case of gekas, who was a major contributor to his clubs abysmal form...

:LOL: :LOL:

You guys seriously make me laugh. He deserves to get slated because he's poor as a result of his laziness. It has nothing to do with a fragile mentality. He's arrogant and lazy and deserves all the stick he gets. He's been dropped by every single manager he has ever played for. Otto, Pearce, Erikssen, Strachan, Lennon. Have I missed anyone out? The fans of the clubs he's played for also hate him. Go onto any Celtic fans' message boards and see. Man City fans, well let's not even get started about them, they mock the guy to this day. When he was linked with a move to Sunderland in January the Sunderland message boards were flooded with panic! If he was simply rubbish i'd never mock him like this, but when you have that level of talent and players like Daryl Murphy :LOL: can get picked ahead of you because you're lazy you don't deserve to be a professional footballer.

Samaras' achievements:

- Voted in the top 10 worst transfers in Premier League history after scoring a total of 8 goals in 55 appearances for Man City.

- Scoring 10 goals in 32 apperances in the Scottish league when playing for Celtic! :LOL: AND pao123 trying to portray it as a good season. There were 5 players that scored more goals than he did in the league AND he was playing for Celtic!

- 3 goals this season but let's all bow down before him because he played 68 min in the cup final against Motherwell but was so ineffective he was hauled off!

Samaras has had one good season in his entire career. 08/09 where he got 15 goals (even then his counter-part Boyd got 27... Bare in mind Boyd went on to get 6 goals in 27 games in the English 2nd division (the championship) so he's hardly a world-beater). Samaras is a disgrace and there's no way i'd congratulate him for winning a cup that's about as competitive as the Fijian cup, particularly when his contribution to winning that cup was about as great as mine! :LOL:

Papadopoulos is a completely different case pao123, he deserves praise

Edited by Euro2004

his contribution to winning that cup was about as great as mine

i thought he was excellent in the quarter final against rangers, maybe if it was soto or basinas you would of remembered.

- Scoring 10 goals in 32 apperances in the Scottish league when playing for Celtic

some of those appearances were from the bench others were playing wide left, not brilliant but not bad either

Samaras is a disgrace and there's no way i'd congratulate him for winning a cup

regular for greece, regular for celtic new contract on decent money and silverware in the bag. not bad for a disgrace.

i thought he was excellent in the quarter final against rangers, maybe if it was soto or basinas you would of remembered.

some of those appearances were from the bench others were playing wide left, not brilliant but not bad either

regular for greece, regular for celtic new contract on decent money and silverware in the bag. not bad for a disgrace.

Yes I remember that he played well in 2 games this season, one happened to be the quarter final. Perhaps he deserves a statue in his name.

He is sometimes played out wide because he's been inept as a central striker.

Regular for Celtic? :blink: So when it suits you he comes off the bench, when it doesn't he's a regular?

i think you need to chill...does your family have a vendetta against the samaras' or something?? hahahah...you really seem to hate this guy...

hes a good player, nothing more nothing less...using words like inept and useless ktl ktl are ridiculous...he is a professional that plays for a good club..if he was all of these things you say he would be playing second division mpala..he is rated by his manager and the club which is evidence of his new contract..if he was soo baad and sooo amateur as you say he is then how did he win a new contract? how does he play for a top level team? how does he play on his national side?...last season he was the thrid choice striker next to hooper and stokes who both had very good seasons..he started over half of their matches and came on a bunch as a substitute. not to mention celtic had what, 6 strikers? his return was poor yes, but his performances were not terrible considering he had a below par season...i remember a quote from his manager something like "when he is on his day he is unplayable" which to me shows he is inconsistant which is a mentality issue..which i already said, he suffers from poor and inconsistant fragile mentality and attitude...which somehow you seemed to dismiss..sometimes he does appear lazy yes, but lets not forget other players that were labeled as "lazy" were in actuality very good players..in addition, a players so called "laziness" is a very fixable thing unlike talent, which is undoubtable that he has...

he is a solid striker that can be useful on the wing, he had more than 2 good performances last year...i think you need to give him alittle more credit...js isnt claiming samaras to be the best player in the world, but if i didnt know him as a player and i read your posts i would have thought he wasnt even good enough to be professional...which is obviously not the case considering he plays for a championship winning team and has contributed to winning those titles...

his career celtic stats are about as follows---140 something appearances, 90 as a starter, 45 goals, not to mention a bunch of assists...1 premeier league title, 1 league cup and 1 scottish cup...those are not bad stats by any means...

oh yeah..and message boards?? seriously?? what fans think and what the reality of the situation is are two very different things..they dont see the players train or play on a day to day basis so they only know a fraction of what the coach knows, and since he still wants samaras on the team, i dont really merit the fans' opinion too much...people are easily persuaded and always quick to bash and judge players ESPECIALLY in scotland and ESPECIALLY when it comes to foreign players... our knowledge of footballers capabilities are rather limited...look at a player like vyntra for instance, everyone bashed him an incredible amount but somehow every coach that came in had vyntra in the starting 11 consistantly...that is no coincidence..

Yes I remember that he played well in 2 games this season, one happened to be the quarter final. Perhaps he deserves a statue in his name.

not a statue, just a winners medal - which he got :tup:

Regular for Celtic?  So when it suits you he comes off the bench, when it doesn't he's a regular?

whether he starts or comes off the bench he usually features in every game, that's what i meant by regular

pao123 i've never said he hasn't got ability, i know he does, that's precisely the reason i can't stand him. He has much more natural talent than Salpi for instance and physical advantages, yet Salpi is better than him because while Salpi dies for the cause on the pitch Samaras strolls around as if he's playing in the garden with his 3 year old kid. He's a professional footballer that is paid tens of thousands of pounds every week and he strolls around lazily, it's unacceptable. Some players do that and can get away with it because their natural talent shines through. Matt Le Tissier for instance, David Ginola, and closer to home, Tsartas. Samaras simply does not have their class or influence though. If Samaras was on a rolling monthly contract where he always has to be on form or risk getting the boot he'd get at least 20 goals a season for Celtic, yet you guys are defending him when he gets 3?

As for your example of Vintra being hated by the fans, many still believe that Vintra isn't good enough, me included. You can't be a last 16 CL team with Vintra in your starting 11. However that's not a great example because at least Vintra tries, hence the reason i don't have a go at him every week. A much better example would be Mantzios. Mantzios is arguably the most skillful striker Greece has, yet he's failed pretty much everywhere for exactly the same reasons as Samaras. Mantzios would tear Werder apart in the CL on a Wednesday, then on the Sunday against Ionikos he'd run a total of 50 meters in the whole game and not get a touch of the ball. Unacceptable.

By the way, isn't it interesting that in today's Greek and Scottish press are reporting that Lokomotiv Moscow have shown an interest in Samaras and Celtic are willing to listen to offers? They offered him the contract when he was in good form because he was working hard, then he fell back into old habits and now they are willing to let him go again. Why am i not surprised. Let's take bets as to how long he lasts in Russia too if you like? On top of that Celtic are looking to a Championship player in Jay Bothroyd as a new striker, not some world beater, but Jay Bothroyd, a man that has been released by a Championship side for free, is now considered an upgrade too!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic