Phantis Forums

Greece-Ukraine on line!

Please help the effort this forum makes and vote here:

http://clubs.phantis.com/sports/index.php?...?showtopic=5766

The game will be live from Sport Italia through Coolstreaming.

More links to follow.

The TUR-GRE game was live the same way too. Many people didn't have Coolstreaming so they couldn't get connected.

The main site is down temporarily but you can get Coolstreaming here:

http://www.coolstreaming.it/module/go.php?go=download

More questions? Keep reading:

1. What is Coolstreaming?

CoolStreaming is a application layer streaming media transportation software. It lets viewers exchange buffer with each other. If you have experience with BitTorrent, you'll easily understand the advantage in dong this.

2. How to use it?

Download the CoolStreaming, install coolstreaming, wait for a couple of minutes for channel list to appear. Double click a channel to select that channel, wait for coolstreaming to buffer data. Wait for another couple of minutes. Media player or Realplayer will automatically popup and play the channel.

3. Why it's not working?

If you can not display channel list, check if there is firewall in use.(If your firewall only allow common port, CoolStreaming need to connect to non-common port.)

If there is message say your time is wrong, check your time and timezone setup.

If have to use proxy for all your network operation, you might not be able to use CoolStreaming now. No proxy support for now.

If there is message for popup player but no player was poped up, you can manually start Windows Media Player or Real Player. Open the link in the message box. (http://localhost...)

If correctly setup windows media player but no player popup, check if there is a media player process running, kill wmplayer.exe, click play button on CoolStreaming again.

If windows media player poped up but say link error, check if IE had proxy setup, disable proxy on IE.

If windows media player poped up but say link error, check if you can reach localhost, if not, you can try http://127.0.0.1...

If correctly poped up windows media player/Rea Player, but can not play the program, please check if your player is the latest version. We need Windoes Media Player 9.0 and Real Player 10.0(Both software are freely

available.)

4. Why program quality is bad?

There are several reasons

(1) In the begining, usually CoolStreaming is looking for better source stream suppliers, wait for 5-10 minutes, it would be better.

(2) If the quality is still not good after 10 minutes, please check status say "buffering xx%", it this

number is low, that indicats your network condition is bad. Your network connection can not afford this high rate program, but you can still choose low bit rate program(e.g. radio).

(3) If it says "buffering > 80%" and the quality is still bad, it could be the source is bad.

(4) Quality column shows the average quality of all users. For example if the Quality is 95%, it means average can get 95% data. So you can determin quality from this number.(If the source quality is bad, users won't get a high quality number.)

5. Can I add more channels?

If you want to add channel, you need to install CoolStreaming Server. But not all users have the ablity to install channel server. If you have good network connection (for example, you are the network admin or you are providing streaming media service), then you propably can install CoolStreaming Server. See, http://www.coolstreaming.org/server.txt for more details about Server installation.

6. Why some channels could disapear?

Usually, the reason is coolStreaming Server is down or the source of the Channel had problem. The servers are not dedicated to CoolStreaming, and the streaming source could be contaminated. If you can provide stable source or server, please contact me. Your help would be highly appreciated by all the viewers.

7. How to watch CoolStreaming in a strict controled Intranet?

If there is strict firewall to restrict network ports, it is difficult for CoolStreaming to work. No good solution yet. Hope to solve this problem in the near future.

8. How to help CoolStreaming?

You can (1) Provide stable streaming source, setup CoolStreaming Server.

(2) provide information about available stable link of streaming source(better with relativly low bitrate, more use can view it)

(3) tell more people about CoolStreaming

9. Will CoolStreaming hurt hard disk?

No. Some BitTorrent software will read and write harddisk frequently, some user worried that CollStreaming have this problem. Actually CoolStreaming use main memory to buffer and exchange data with very few harddisk operation. Some user find reduced free harddisk space is because some media player(RealPlayer, etc.) will store temperary files on harddisk. Those temp file will be cleaned when the player closes.

10. Why there is delay on CoolStreaming?

There is about 1 minute local buffer. The total delay would be about 2 minutes. If you have a >5 minutes delay, you can restart media player/real player.

11. Which port is used by CoolStreaming? How to set firewall?

CoolStreaming use port larger than 1024. So the best way is to open all the ports >1024. Users inside a firewall may exerience worse quality than those who outside of firewall. Please set firewall to allow connection to larger than 1024 ports.

Confused? Don't be! Things are much easier than they appear! Chances are that the program will work perfect for you the first time!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Houston (unfortunately). The only place I can find that will for sure show Greece-Ukraine is "Byzantio Cafe" on West Gray... However, for the Turkey-Greece game they were charging $40 cover :angry: (unheard of!). Further adding to my frustration, Coolstreaming is not available for Mac OSX 10.1 (which is what I have)... Does anyone know of any other place in or around Houston that will be carrying the game live or on tape delay?

Ok I will give you guys a tip too... I ve been to Coolstreaming since a couple of months now......and therefore I warned you yesterday (TUR-GRE)...that the game would be live on SportItalia...and not with a 2 hours delay...

What it makes me laugh.... you guys... first would not give the mms address to watch the games to all the people ...but only to your selected friends.... and now suddenly ... you want to reach as most people as possible..... :huh:

So after having downloaded "C"...... do also download VLC media Player

It's an open source system....developed by students...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Often when I use "C"oolstreaming the Windows Media Player does not pop up....

So I m watching all the games with VLC.....

So If you have downloaded and saved "C" in your harddisc, you should install it...

Once installed you simply need to click on the orange "C" button.... only after few seconds the window with TV Station appears......

Click on your favorite.... it says it's buffering.... wait a bit...and re-click .....then you will be able to see the the mms address.......copy that address and open the "VLC"

and paste it in to "open file"..... after few seconds not minutes and minutes like with Windows Media Player...you are able to watch the games.....

I found on my part that VLC is working much better with "C"...than Windows Media Player....

If the Windows Media Player opens before...just close it (and open VLC)

spiros I did everything you said but it still does not work. :(

Vasili with VLC you would have had the images in seconds...

Neither asks VLC for Codecs like W. M. P. does...

hey boy's spyro yesterday helped try and watch the game. and thanx alot for that :D but i get alot of lag on uncaped cable internet with optus i got a 128k upload but a unlimited download but it lags badly can any1 help me out with this

Nightsurfer,

How can I improve the video quality of VLC. Did you use any special settings like any video filter modules or 'extended GUI' . Watching Sportitalia this morning to test it out, the video looked like I was watching satellite tv where the image was breaking up. The video quality seemed much better with Media Player.

Guest gastone_1978

giasas pedia im on unlimited cable net with 128k upload but why am i lagging so much my downstream is uncaped i dont get it

You need a higher upload stream than that to make sure you watch the channels

256kb/s upload is what you need.

Guest gastone_1978

What it makes me laugh.... you guys... first would not give the mms address to watch the games to all the people ...but only to your selected friends.... and now suddenly ... you want to reach as most people as possible..... :huh:

Like we had any mms links to watch it between our small circle as you say. All we had is coolstreaming from sportitalia, and whoever messaged me, I made sure to give him the information I had.

So please stop acting as this is a conspiracy for ###### shakes.

As for the two hours delay, that's what the online schedule wrote. If you had more information making sure it would show the game "live" like you said, why didn't you say so.

You gave us a links showing the schedule, and I also gave you another one showing another schedule. If you knew how to explain this, why didn't you say so. We never said we r the Link GODS, we r just trying to help people like you do I suppose. So please let's end this mumbling behind our backs and get along together for the next game.

Thank you in advance for comprehending my words.

PEACE!!

This forum is trying to help people who don't have other options to watch greek soccer online. We don't charge any money for that. In the contrary we spend countless hours away from our families, business and ourselves trying to find links and ways to satisfy our desire for soccer. I myself had to spent money to become a member in sites they also search for links and spread the word in here to people that they pay nothing.

Sometimes these links have the ability to hold many viewers (like the Sport Italia yesterday) and sometimes the pie is not enough for everyone. Who should eat then? The people who paid and cooked it or the guy who just showed up at the table demanding for food?

Nobody said that you will be able to watch a game by checking the Phantis forum half an hour before the kick off time. We are asking for help. Do your own homework and try to help this community if you want others to help you. Finally, the least you can do is stop bitching if you will not be included in the VIP clup who will watch the game. You probably don't deserve to be a part of it.

Here are some helpful things about Coolstreaming now:

It is true that the more people they connect the better the viewing experience we have. Coolstreaming is sharing the stream between the viewers. The channel has to be at above 70% Quality (the very last column of the main list). That means that we need at least 400 viewers with good upload speed more than 256kb/s. If we have viewers with dialup or slow upload speeds trying to view the only thing they are doing is trying to steal a piece of the pie without giving anything back. So nobody is able to watch anything.

So here is what you should do:

If you are not sure what your upload/download speed is go here http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2 and test it. If your upload speed is less than 256kb/s be a gentleman and don't connect. Try to see the game from a friend's computer who has this minimum connection speed.

If the Quality number is well above 75% it can hold some people with slow connections. This means that these people will be able to download enough piece of the pie without to have to give back to the community anything in return because the pie is large enough. This will drop the Quality number but it's ok as long as it stays above 75%.

Bottom line: We understand your passion to watch but you have to understand that if you'll try to get in an overloaded boat that holds only a certain amount of people the boat will sink taking down everyone.

hi again it is me the newbie.....

it is strange that people are complaning, because i just dig and read the forum for the first time last week and found out what to do from last thurstday (before na ginei niania to ti einai to coolstream) by just paying attention to what other people suggested, so respect to them by me! Ok, this is my first year abroad, and it was the first time that i had enough time to learn how stream tv works in general (ports, firewalls, apllications...), but i think that the people here have been trying to answer to this question longer than me. It seems that an A+ is ussualy achieved by them and they are willing to share it to an extent and i see why. Re mages, it is a joke that Crazy-Greek (file isos na nomizeis oti eimai ligo agenis alla) you started a thread just 1 hour before the game ....i mean, den afieroses file oute ena tetarto na deis ti egrafe to thread pou idi ipirxe, oxi aplos masimena ta thoume alla kai xonemena diladi edaxi ti allo na po aaa kai ego den eimai kana exper me texnologia kai etsi, koinoniologos eimai :P , aplos ekana ligo homework, to pese pita na se fao de to katalavano!

opos to gegonos oti o gastone_ apo noris proidopoiise oti xreiazete megalo upload speed kai pali kapoioi (kratao pisini mporei tourkoi,olandoi...) empenan etsi gia to gousto, kai oti eginie egine more siga tora edaxi ..... to eixe pei kai o mitropoulos to aigaleo kai o olympiakos na nikane kaioi alloi na pane na mamithoume ;). DEN einai etsi omos! kai epidi poli to sovarepsa, na eiste kala pedia gia na pate sto paradiso :not: , alloste logia grafo de mporo na kano tipota allo gia na piso kapoion.

aplos kapoies idees. Elpizo na mi parexiditho, i kouveda kai ta sxolia euspodekta.

filika :gr: :)

ps eite aglika eite ellinika mia zoi anorthografos tha meino atimes daskales me ta mini

Regarding SportItalia and Cool Streaming, I have been observing the quality level of SportItalia for the past few days, and to tell you the truth, the only time I ever seen it at or above 70% was yesterday for about 20 minutes during the Turkey-Greece match. The quality level is generally between 60-65%. A few hours ago, when I tried to download the stream to watch Brazil-Paraguay, it was only at 53% quality. The stream was too "choppy" for me to view, which forced me to close that stream and download CCTV 5 instead (which also had the match).

The reason why I'm stating all this is because the dilution of quality level may not have been due to the fact that a lot of people who wanted to watch yesterday's match tried to download the stream with an inferior connection, but rather other reasons may have been at play.

Guest gastone_1978

The reason why I'm stating all this is because the dilution of quality level may not have been due to the fact that a lot of people who wanted to watch yesterday's match tried to download the stream with an inferior connection, but rather other reasons may have been at play.

With all the respect MikeS allow me to disagree a little bit on that. The quality of the stream is totally dependent on the UPLOAD speed of the users. Download is not the issue, since if you have the neccessary upload speed you will also have the download one.

So once and for good. Please all those with a speed less than 250Kb/s please do not bother connecting.

As far as the other channels such as CCTV5, they maybe using a standard number of high speed connections (100mbs) on a standard basis to keep the stream flow al lthe time, where with Sportitalia they probably do not do that.

A good example of this is that before the game the quality was around 57%. Once people started connecting it was around 70%. Then everybody with low connection tried to connect and even though the quality was 65-70% the stream was a bit chopped.

Once the game was over the quality was 57% but Sportitalia's streaming was better than before, because it didn't have low connection users trying to connect.

Therefore, even if the quality is under 60% do not worry as much. The most important is that no low connections try to log on the network through coolstreaming during the game. That's why we keep talking over and over again about it.

Nightsurfer,

How can I improve the video quality of VLC. Did you use any special settings like any video filter modules or 'extended GUI' . Watching Sportitalia this morning to test it out, the video looked like I was watching satellite tv where the image was breaking up. The video quality seemed much better with Media Player.

Well there are some posibilities there... if you test around...

But the main reason I suggested VLC is.... that Windows Media Player does not pop-up (my experience) for minutes and minutes...then it beginns to buffer and climbs slowly the scale lets say from 15% to 70%...and then it falls again to 15%...and this takes minutes and minutes. Shortly said very long time.

In order to avoid that I suggested VLC...as I got then the images in seconds.....

To you info SportItalia has a very bad transmission rate.

But if you have better results with Windows Media Player..then is ok for you..... I just read people, who wrote that nothing happens ...that s way I suggested VLC...

Cheers mate.....

Like we had any mms links to watch it between our small circle as you say.  All we had is coolstreaming from sportitalia, and whoever messaged me, I made sure to give him the information I had.

So please stop acting as this is a conspiracy for ###### shakes.

As for the two hours delay, that's what the online schedule wrote. If you had more information making sure it would show the game "live" like you said, why didn't you say so.

You gave us a links showing the schedule, and I also gave you another one showing another schedule. If you knew how to explain this, why didn't you say so. We never said we r the Link GODS, we r just trying to help people like you do I suppose. So please let's end this mumbling behind our backs and get along together for the next game.

Thank you in advance for comprehending my words.

PEACE!!

Hey buddy you don't need to swear in order to bring your point over.. Ok !!

And secondly I m not talking about June 4... I m talking for the months ago... I checked the topics...sometimes and I constated ...that the mms were not given to all people.... now suddenly you (plural) ask the help of the people... which you would not give them the mms (...I never asked for it...as I can watch all Greek Programms if I go around the corner to the Greek Kafenio and without any charge)...

And that made me laugh... no more...no less... ok !!

In this context it makes sense...that in first line you wanted to help yourselves first..... "So stop screaming around, we want help the people"

Spiro, to whom is your last post addressed ?

If it's to me... so read my above post... the answer fits too.

Finally, the least you can do is stop bitching if you will not be included in the VIP clup who will watch the game. You probably don't deserve to be a part of it.

Sincerely, what are you talking about... ??

Again it comes out again... like I described it on my last above post..... People are selected again..and some are left out.... To my understanding all member belong to the Phantis Club Forum.... and have equal rights and deserve equal treatment.... Who are you to want to create "a Club" in the Club (Phantis)...

And secondly... stop pretending something... because CoolStreaming is the best available tool (Free)..which exist at the moment.... (which you discovered only since few days)...and you don't have any control of it..... So stop say people what they should do with it...as it does not belong to you...but to the whole internet community....

Nightsurfer, cool down man! And learn how to read!

Nobody is creating any "clubs". If your knowledge of the English language is not strong enough, I can explain in pure Greek.

I don't really understand what your problem is. And please stop bitching. This is the only time I am talking about you. I am just trying to help people.If you know everything and you are beyong help, please enlighten us so everybody can benefit from the superiority of your mind.

Oh! and let me not forget! Everyone knows that I created Coolstreaming! Where were you hidden then? lol...

Too bad some people can't smell the roses...

Guest gastone_1978

stop pretending something... because CoolStreaming is the best available tool (Free)..which exist at the moment.... (which you discovered only since few days)...and you don't have any control of it.....

Mr. nightsurfer

I totally agree with gastone. Though I got a member only recently in this forum I got to appreciate the work of Spiros and others in this forum. It's thanx to them that I got to see some games I wouldn't have seen otherwise. And if Spiro for example asks people with a low connection speed not to lock on coolstreaming because it wouldn't help anyone then it's firstly only a bid (and anyone is still free to act as he wants) and secondly it's a matter of fact. i.e nobody is gonna benefit. Yet if people know beforehand that it's sensless to count on coolstreaming with a low upload speed then those still have the time to look for other solutions. So please: join in, if you have something constructive to add and stay out of the matter if the only thing you have to spread are controversies. And by the way: have a good time watching the matches on your telly - something we unfortunately cannot come up with. This is why we are here.

Archived