Phantis Forums

Chalkydona merges w/ Atromitos

Ziaka

Latest news is that only signatures are needed to seal the deal. The name of the the merged team will be Atromitos Peristeri, and the y will also use the old Atromitos emblem. Additionaly the city of Peristeri has agreed to help in construction of a new stadium for the team.

Latest news is that only signatures are needed to seal the deal. The name of the the merged team will be Atromitos Peristeri, and the y will also use the old Atromitos emblem. Additionaly the city of Peristeri has agreed to help in construction of a new stadium for the team.

I'm surprised the name Chalkydona is being dropped. Are the districts of Chalkydona and Peristeri in the same area of Athens?

The merger is official as the signatures were put on paper.

Here is a story from UEFA.com:

All-new Atromitos take flight

Tuesday, 31 May 2005

Greek top flight side Halkidona FC have merged with neighbouring second division club Atromitos Athinon FC and will play in the Alpha Ethniki next season as Atromitos Athinon FC.

Halkidona influence

The new entity will play at Atromitos's 10,000-capacity ground in the Athens suburb of Peristeri, which will undergo a major facelift in the summer months. However, the coach will be Halkidona's Georgios Parashos, who recently signed a contract extension with that club, and the current Halkidona squad will form the basis of the new team's roster.

Mixed fortunes

Halkidona president Georgios Spanos was the force behind the merger. Although his side finished eighth in the top division, Halkidona were the second team behind Ionikos FC in the Nikea district. By contrast, historic Atromitos who were founded in 1923 have a decent fan base, despite the financial problems that prevented them satisfying the Hellenic Football Federation's licensing requirements for the season just ended. Subsequently handicapped by a points' deduction, they finished second from bottom of the second division.

'Team to make you proud'

Spanos, whose Halkidona were themselves established in 1930, defended the decision. "I do not feel guilty, I did what I felt I was obliged to do," he said. "I am not promising titles but you can be sure that Atromitos will be a team to make you proud. They will play an important part in the football world."

The merger is official as the signatures were put on paper.

Here is a story from UEFA.com:

All-new Atromitos take flight

Tuesday, 31 May 2005

Greek top flight side Halkidona FC have merged with neighbouring second division club Atromitos Athinon FC and will play in the Alpha Ethniki next season as Atromitos Athinon FC.

Halkidona influence

The new entity will play at Atromitos's 10,000-capacity ground in the Athens suburb of Peristeri, which will undergo a major facelift in the summer months. However, the coach will be Halkidona's Georgios Parashos, who recently signed a contract extension with that club, and the current Halkidona squad will form the basis of the new team's roster.

Mixed fortunes

Halkidona president Georgios Spanos was the force behind the merger. Although his side finished eighth in the top division, Halkidona were the second team behind Ionikos FC in the Nikea district. By contrast, historic Atromitos who were founded in 1923 have a decent fan base, despite the financial problems that prevented them satisfying the Hellenic Football Federation's licensing requirements for the season just ended. Subsequently handicapped by a points' deduction, they finished second from bottom of the second division.

'Team to make you proud'

Spanos, whose Halkidona were themselves established in 1930, defended the decision. "I do not feel guilty, I did what I felt I was obliged to do," he said. "I am not promising titles but you can be sure that Atromitos will be a team to make you proud. They will play an important part in the football world."

This is a great move

i just hope the fans come out and support

the Greek league has so many small based Athenian teams that have barely and attendance

Atromotis does have a solid background

and with a new reconstructed gipedo that will be to the clubs benefit

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great move

the Greek league has so many small based Athenian teams that have barely and attendance

:nono: Sorry i disagree. I hate to see a club being taken out of existence just like that. The so-called Halkidona influence- players and manger- are only temporary. A 75 yr-old club has just been killed off. :angry: :evil:

How would anyone supporting this move feel if THEIR club were merged out of existence? :unsure: Maybe it would be great for football in Thessaloniki, for example, were Aris to avoid relegation to B ethniki by merging with PAOK, and just calling the club "Aris" :whistle:

This is a great move

:nono: Sorry i disagree. I hate to see a club being taken out of existence just like that. The so-called Halkidona influence- players and manger- are only temporary. A 75 yr-old club has just been killed off. :angry: :evil:

How would anyone supporting this move feel if THEIR club were merged out of existence? :unsure: Maybe it would be great for football in Thessaloniki, for example, were Aris to avoid relegation to B ethniki by merging with PAOK, and just calling the club "Aris" :whistle:

Aris and Paok are totally 2 different comparisons here

both these club have long and oustanding histories

Halkidona yes successful in there own right

was a very poor club to say the least

the merger at least gives u life to the league

i like it

• 1 month later...

Archived