Phantis Forums

San Marino GP

Iliana

News from F1 Racing Net

Imola Fact File

Races at Imola are run in an anti-clockwise direction. counter-clockwise races are slowly gaining in popularity, with Istanbul joning Interlagos this year. Imola's motor sport history dates back to the 1940s when the town's races were held on public roads. It wasn't until 1950 that work began to construct a permanent race track. Work was finally completed in 1952. 

Formula One made its debut in Imola on 21st April 1963. Jim Clark, in a Lotus, claimed the first win, although the race was not an official round of the Formula One World Championship. Formula One did not return to Imola for a further fifteen years after the inaugural race but, on 19th September 1979, the sound of Formula One returned for the Dino Ferrari Grand Prix.

Imola has hosted a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship every year since the Italian Grand Prix was staged there on 14th September 1980. With two races held in Italy from 1981 onwards, Imola's race became known as the 'San Marino' Grand Prix. In total, Imola has hosted 24 Formula One World Championship races.

After the tragic accidents in 1994, when Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna died on April 30th and 1st of May respectively, the circuit's lay-out has been significantly changed in the interests of safety. In 1988, the circuit was officially named "Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari Imola." In 1970, the circuit was first dedicated to Dino Ferrari. His father's name was added after his death.

Imola has a population of approximately 65,000, is situated in the Emilia Romagna

region and located in the province of Bologna. The Republic of San Marino, after which the Grand Prix is named, covers an area of just 60 square kilometres and lies to the southeast of Imola.

Winners of the last 10 grands prix held in Imola:

2004: M. Schumacher, Ferrari

2003: M. Schumacher, Ferrari

2002: M. Schumacher, Ferrari

2001: R.Schumacher, BMW.Williams

2000: M. Schumacher, Ferrari

1999: M.Schumacher, Ferrari

1998: Coulthard, McLaren-Mercedes

1997: Frentzen, Williams-Renault

1996: Hill, Williams-Renault

1995: Hill, Williams-Renault

1994: M.Schumacher, Benetton-Ford

Official San Marino GP Site

FORMULA 1™ Gran Premio Foster's di San Marino 2005

Friday 22 April

11:00-12:00 Friday Practice 1

14:00-15:00 Friday Practice 2

Saturday 23 April

09:00-09:45 Saturday Practice 1

10:15-11:00 Saturday Practice 2

13:00 Saturday Qualifying

Sunday 24 April

10:00 Sunday Qualifying

14:00 Race

(GMT+2)

The drivers preview San Marino

The Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari awaits .

The men in the cockpit give their predictions for this weekend’s race at Imola, the first round of the European season and the fourth of the 2005 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Mark Webber, Williams

2004 Qualifying - 8th, 2004 Race - 13th

“Imola has been a good track to me in the past. I won there once in Formula 3000, and added to that, I always enjoy going to Italy, it is one of my favourite countries. The atmosphere in that track is very, very good, partly because of its setting tucked in the little mountains among the trees, making it a very picturesque setting. The circuit is one you instantly enjoy racing on and of course our team have a pretty good record in Imola. The only possible downside is the weather and at this time of year, it often rains and the ambient temperatures are quite low, but normally it's a good time of year to be in a nice part of the world.”

Jarno Trulli, Toyota

2004 Qualifying - 9th, 2004 Race - 5th

"Before the start of the 2005 season I never thought I'd be coming back to Europe in second place in the world championship. But thanks to a lot of hard work from the whole of the Panasonic Toyota Racing team that is the fantastic situation we are in. Expectations are obviously very high now but we have to keep our feet on the ground. Despite the fact that I'm racing at home, I'm not a particular fan of the Imola circuit. The most important factors for performance are braking stability and traction, but the weather will be colder than the last two races and in the past Toyota has struggled over the kerbs. Still, the TF105 has improved a lot and with further aerodynamic updates coming for the weekend, we should aim to score more points. That would be a good result."

Fernando Alonso, Renault

2004 Qualifying - 6th, 2004 Race - 4th

“Imola is a very tough circuit for the suspension: we hit the kerbs hard, and the car needs to be able to cope with that. The drivers must be aggressive through the corners, which I like, and it is impossible to relax: if you get the line wrong over the kerbs, you will be in the gravel trap or the barrier. You also need to find good mechanical grip in the slow corners, traction on the exit and a strong engine down the short straights. So far, the R25 has been competitive on all the types of circuit we have visited; I expect it will continue in San Marino.”

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari

2004 Qualifying - 2nd, 2004 Race - 1st

"Imola is important in many ways this year: first of all it is our home-race, which naturally makes it a race that we want to show a good performance at. This year, the start of the European leg of the season is also somewhat of a new beginning for us: we want to begin fighting for the championship title again now, and we believe that our chances are quite good.

“The Grand Prix of San Marino has always been a good turf for us. I have a lot of fond memories of this circuit, and I'm quite confident that there are more to come. Our F2005 has the most important requirement: it is fast enough. We saw that when our car made its debut at Bahrain. We were unable to finish the race, but I think that we've solved that problem during all the extensive testing we did last week.

“The circuit at Imola is especially demanding on the brakes and the gear-box, but that's manageable. Just like most of the other teams we have new aerodynamic-components on the car and spent most of last week preparing especially for this race. I'm confident that we can fight to win - and I'm absolutely sure that everyone at Ferrari will do their best. We're all looking forward to our home-race and to our Tifosi's support."

from The Official Formula 1 Website

Juan Pablo Montoya is still recovering from his injury during a MotoGP test (or you if you wish, during a tennis match :rolleyes: ) and will be replaced by the team's test driver, Alex Wurz.

News from F1 Racing Net

Posted Image

De la Rosa on top in first practice

Pos. Driver Team Time Laps

1 P. de la Rosa McLaren 1:21.060 17

2 R. Zonta Toyota 1:21.174 21

3 J. Button BAR 1:21.805 6

4 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:22.085 14

5 C. Klien Red Bull 1:22.736 20

6 T. Sato BAR 1:22.945 6

7 K. Räikkönen McLaren 1:22.962 5

8 N. Heidfeld Williams 1:23.086 8

9 A. Wurz McLaren 1:23.391 5

10 M. Webber Williams 1:23.532 8

11 R. Barrichello Ferrari 1:23.797 10

12 V. Liuzzi Red Bull 1:24.052 22

13 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:24.126 8

14 F. Massa Sauber 1:24.175 13

15 J. Villeneuve Sauber 1:24.255 8

16 N. Karthikeyan Jordan 1:24.512 18

17 T. Monteiro Jordan 1:25.257 16

18 R. Doornbos Jordan 1:25.555 26

19 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:26.333 4

20 C. Albers Minardi 1:27.353 10

21 P. Friesacher Minardi 1:27.411 13

22 G. Fisichella Renault no time 2

23 F. Alonso Renault no time 2

24 J. Trulli Toyota no time 1

problems for Renault? :blink:

1st qualifying session results - Grand Prix of San Marino

Pos. Driver Team Time

1 K. Raikkonen McLaren 1:19.886

2 F. Alonso Renault 1:19.889

3 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:20.260

4 M. Webber Williams 1:20.442

5 J. Button BAR 1:20.464

6 J. Trulli Toyota 1:20.492

7 F. Massa Sauber 1:20.593

8 A. Wurz McLaren 1:20.632

9 N. Heidfeld Williams 1:20.807

10 T. Sato BAR 1:20.851

11 R. Barrichello Ferrari 1:20.892

12 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:20.994

13 J. Villeneuve Sauber 1:20.999

14 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:21.632

15 G. Fisichella Renault 1:21.708

16 V. Liuzzi Red Bull 1:21.804

17 N. Karthikeyan Jordan 1:23.123

18 T. Monteiro Jordan 1:25.100

19 C. Albers Minardi 1:25.921

20 P. Friesacher Minardi 1:26.484

from f1racing.net

Qualifying 2

Pos. Driver Team Time

1 K. Raikkonen McLaren 2:42.880

2 F. Alonso Renault 2:43.441

3 J. Button BAR 2:44.105

4 M. Webber Williams 2:44.511

5 J. Trulli Toyota 2:44.518

6 T. Sato BAR 2:44.658

7 A. Wurz McLaren 2:44.689

8 F. Massa Sauber 2:44.930

9 N. Heidfeld Williams 2:45.196

10 R. Barrichello Ferrari 2:45.243

11 R. Schumacher Toyota 2:45.416

12 J. Villeneuve Sauber 2:46.259

13 G. Fisichella Renault 2:46.710

14 M. Schumacher Ferrari 2:47.244

15 D. Coulthard Red Bull 2:48.070

16 V. Liuzzi Red Bull 2:48.155

17 N. Karthikeyan Jordan 2:52.099

18 T. Monteiro Jordan 2:54.252

19 P. Friesacher Minardi 2:57.048

20 C. Albers Minardi 1:25.921

Heroic Alonso resists super Schumi to win

Fernando Alonso resisted an astounding effort from Michael Schumacher to win his third successive Grand Prix by just 0.2s from the reigning champion. On heavy fuel Schumacher saved his car until the first pit stops and then drove out of his skin to go from 13th on the grid to 2nd. Jenson Button scored his first points of the season in third while early race leader Kimi Raikkonen retired when his McLaren broke down.

Raikkonen made an explosive start to lead Alonso, Button and Trulli into the first corner. Takuma Sato and Mark Webber tussled for fifth until the Australian got the better of the Japanese driver. Alex Wurz held seventh in the McLaren ahead of Jacques Villeneuve who made a superb start.

Australian Grand Prix winner Giancarlo Fisichella was the first retirement when he drifted off track in the first sector and kissed the tyre barriers. Lap eight brought disaster for McLaren as Kimi Raikkonen slowed dramatically and retired from the lead. As he pulled into the McLaren garage a furious Finn jumped out of his seat and threw his steering wheel across the garage in frustration.

Fernando Alonso continued to lead Button by around nine seconds for the next ten laps. Jarno Trulli was holding onto third while a high-speed train of cars formed behind him with Webber fourth, Sato fifth, Wurz sixth, and Villeneuve seventh.

As the first pit stops approached Jenson Button put on an absolute charge setting fastest lap after fastest lap and closing the gap to Alonso from over nine seconds to under six seconds.

As the front runners made their pit stops Michael Schumacher put the hammer down setting fastest laps as he stayed out very late. A stunning sequence of laps saw Michael Schumacher move from eleventh to third by the time the first round of pit stops were complete.

Michael Schumacher was on an absolute charge. The German continued to lap between 1.5 and two seconds faster than Alonso and Button. When Alonso came in for his final pit stop on lap forty-two Michael Schumacher had closed to within 1.5s of Jenson Button.

As Button and Schumacher set about lapping the two BMW WilliamsF1 cars, Button got wrong-footed and Michael Schumacher scorched down the inside of the Variante Alta chicane taking him into the lead of a Grand Prix for the first time this year. After putting in a couple of extremely hot laps Schumacher made his final pit stop and rejoined the race just over a second behind Fernando Alonso.

In the final ten laps there was nothing more than 0.3s between Alonso and Schumacher while spectators around the Imola circuit were all on their feet watching eagerly as the reigning champion chased down the current championship leader.

Fernando Alonso kept his cool and kept the fiery Michael Schumacher at bay despite a last desperate attempt into the final corner by the Ferrari driver. Alonso scored his third successive victory this season by just 0.2s from reigning champion Michael Schumacher who undoubtedly was the driver of the day and fires what must be a worrying warning of pace to his rivals.

Jenson Button came home in third to score BAR Honda's first points of the season while team mate Sato confirmed the team has resolved many of its problems from the start of the season by finishing fifth.

In his first race for several years Alex Wurz had a quiet afternoon but kept it together to salvage five points for McLaren with a fourth place finish, though his pace did lack compared to Kimi Raikkonen before the Finn's retirement.

Jacques Villeneuve fired a much needed, strong, sixth place finish at his critics of late. The 1997 driver made a strong start and drove maturely and competitively to bring his Sauber Petronas home and score his first three points of the season ahead of the two Toyotas of Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher.

Race Results:

Pos. Driver Team Time Points

1 F. Alonso Renault 1:27:41.921 10

2 M. Schumacher Ferrari + 0.215 8

3 J. Button BAR + 10.481 6

4 A. Wurz McLaren + 27.554 5

5 T. Sato BAR + 34.783 4

6 J. Villeneuve Sauber + 1:04.442 3

7 J. Trulli Toyota + 1:10.258 2

8 R. Schumacher Toyota + 1:10.841 1

9 N. Heidfeld Williams + 1:11.282 0

10 M. Webber Williams + 1:23.297 0

11 V. Liuzzi Red Bull + 1:23.764 0

12 F. Massa Sauber + 1 laps 0

13 D. Coulthard Red Bull + 1 laps 0

14 N. Karthikeyan Jordan + 1 laps 0

15 T. Monteiro Jordan + 2 laps 0

Did not finish

16 C. Albers Minardi + 41 laps 0

17 R. Barrichello Ferrari + 44 laps 0

18 P. Friesacher Minardi + 54 laps 0

19 K. Raikkonen McLaren + 54 laps 0

20 G. Fisichella Renault + 57 laps 0

Now please show me one man on the grid who could do what M.Schumacher did today!

I bet I can make you all jealous! :D

I was there! The whole weekend, watching my first live GP! :tup:

Absolutely unique experience, nothing I can describe by mere words.

If you EVER have the chance to follow a GP live, DO NOT MISS IT!!!!!!!!!! :nw:

Welcome Athina. I just hope you don't have the same bad habits as the other female member of this forum, bu supporting the disgusting Shumi!!!! :P

FORZA ALONZO & TRULLI!!!!!! :nw: :nw: :tup: :tup:

Also just an advice.... Stay away from the mouse... We don't want you to get a bad influence right from the start of your entrance to the forum.... :P

P.S. Now that Schumi is out of the game we will try and attend the Turkish gran Prix LIVE in August.... Then I hope we have a similar experience to your weekend in San Marino....

Schumi's end is near!!!!!

FORZA ALONZO!!!!! :nw: :tup:

:blink: you gotta be kidding me! Alonso's end is near you mean, MS won't make another mistake, the next time he'll be right behind him in qualies, if not in front of him!

Michael Schumacher IS the only one who can make a race interesting. Poor people who bet on barbeque-Raikkonen and +1lap-Webber :rolleyes:

no matter how much i hate the toss-pot for ruining such a gr8 sport, schui will be back, and he will win races, he was on fire on sunday, he nearly made an impossibility enevitable if it wasn't for Alonso's gr8 defence (that was amazing, he slowed down so much he didnt even catch the back-markers, and still kept schumi at bay, of course if it was Montoya chasing him he would of passed him or crashed into him in the 1st lap).

The good news for Alonso is that if shui wins every race, he only needs to beat everyone else and come second every time and he would still win the title, cos of such a significant lead.

MS won't make another mistake, the next time he'll be right behind him in qualies, if not in front of him!

Schumi DID NOT make a mistake in the qualies. He was simply too slow!!! Even before his mistake which got him off the trach he was slower than ALonzo and Trulli he had no chance getting the pole position!!!! ;)

FORZA ALONZO!!!! :tup:

MS won't make another mistake, the next time he'll be right behind him in qualies, if not in front of him!

Schumi DID NOT make a mistake in the qualies. He was simply too slow!!! Even before his mistake which got him off the trach he was slower than ALonzo and Trulli he had no chance getting the pole position!!!! ;)

FORZA ALONZO!!!! :tup:

he qualified 13th place, no matter how u look at it, he made a mistake

exactly, that mistake cost him 10 places to say the least!

Papou even the most anti-MS people shut their mouth after Sunday, will you ever get some brain??? (

To set thing straight, I believe that Schumi is an amazing driver, probably the best of his time and the piece of driving he produced last Sunday was simply more proof of that (you should have seen it live!) Alonso has a pretty long way to go to be anything close to Schumacher, but he does have talent and guts . I'm not so sure about brains :)

I also have to admit that the driver for whom I have a soft spot in my heart is... Giancarlo Fisichella! I even bought a T-shirt with his logo (a lot of good that did me or him :P) Anyway, hopefully he will do better in Barcelona.

Glad to have found you guys.

My friend, the 2nd mouse has told me soooooooooooo much about you all! :D

Alonso has a pretty long way to go to be anything close to Schumacher, but he does have talent and guts . I'm not so sure about brains :)

Woooh wooh... hold up there.... r u blind? If Alonso has a pretty long way to go to be anything close to Schumacher, then why did he put in such a brilliant performence in the last 10 laps slowing schumi down so much and keeping him behind. If this was the case the german would have passed him when they first had a 1 sec gap. If you ask me, Schumi has finally met his match, and for the first time in god knows how many years the F1 will be worth watching again.

hey Iliana, do you know if Montoya will be back by next race? I miss him so!!!

I think he'll be back in Barcelona.

hi Athena! ;) you're so lucky to be at the San Marino GP! MS at his best!

Archived