Phantis Forums

Stupid English Media Cliches

drakos13

I dont know about you guys if you read english football news like goal.com, reuters etc....

Im really tired of the stupid cliches everytime Greece makes a headline. Theyre all the same over and over.... Every time a team goes there its Greek Oddesey for xxxxxx or every time a team loses to a greek team or a greek team loses its a "Greek Tragedy" blah blach......also our neighbors Turkey also must be sick of seeing Turkish Delight for every goddamn headline in Turkey. I am really really tired of seeing these stupid things and people who write them think they are original or creative........

so lets start listing these cliches......we dont have a non sports forum for this topic sorry (mods we could use one and not the community boards nobody ever goes there)

Greek Tragedy

Turkish Delight

Greek Oddesey

Greece is the word ........

Guest Protathlitis

I dont think drako was complaining the articles, they often heap praise upon us and we got all there awards: BBC world soccer etc.

just the headlines and cliches. I know EXACTLY what he means

its funny how they use 'Greek tragedy' for wins and losses against Greek teams

I dont think drako was complaining the articles, they often heap praise upon us and we got all there awards: BBC world soccer etc.

exactly :D

I should have been more clear and not write "empty journalism" cause it's really not the case. B)

I should have been more clear and not write "empty journalism" cause it's normally not the case.

• 1 month later...

What Drako said is right, but the problem is why they do it?

By the way I don't think that the only newspapers that do that are foeign but greek too.All around the world journalists are trying to provide a summary of the news in 2-3 words in order to fit the headlines.

I like seeing headlines like that(greek tragedy, etc..) when they are cleverly connected to every kind of sport...but I think that there is lack of immagination in lournalism lately....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, pity the poor journalists - it's their editors expecting them to come up with cheesy puns all the time for headlines. They don't mean it badly - but editors do expect such puns.

To help them out, I've thought of a few more...

- Go Greece lightening (when they win)

- Elbow Greece (when the play dirty)

- Hellenic angels (when they don't play dirty)

- It's getting feta all the time (okay, that's a bit rubbish)

- Acropolis now (rather than Apocalypse Now - when an English team is knocked out in Athens)

- What a pita (when a Greek team loses unluckily in the last minute).

Don't knock puns, cherish them. Have you guys heard of the 'Mary Poppins'-esque one that a British newspaper used when Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic in a cup match..

'Super Cally go ballistic Celtic are atrocious'

Genius.

Hey, pity the poor journalists - it's their editors expecting them to come up with cheesy puns all the time for headlines. They don't mean it badly - but editors do expect such puns.

To help them out, I've thought of a few more...

- Go Greece lightening (when they win)

- Elbow Greece (when the play dirty)

- Hellenic angels (when they don't play dirty)

- It's getting feta all the time (okay, that's a bit rubbish)

- Acropolis now (rather than Apocalypse Now - when an English team is knocked out in Athens)

- What a pita (when a Greek team loses unluckily in the last minute).

Don't knock puns, cherish them. Have you guys heard of the 'Mary Poppins'-esque one that a British newspaper used when Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic in a cup match..

'Super Cally go ballistic Celtic are atrocious'

Genius.

i love puns but the same 2 0ver and over sucks...

like the "acropolis now" though!

They are very tiring, its almost as if the world is completely ignorant about our country, and the only thing were good for is gr8 puns.

I did see one that filled my heart though, it was on the day of the European Final on the back page of a bookies newspaper, it said:

'They defeated the Host nation already (portugal)

defeated the holders (France)

and defeated the team on form (Czech Rep)

so why are greeks again outsiders?

its all greek to us!'

maybe it filled my heart becuase of the obvious reason that we were in the final, but still, it was quality

Archived