Current PAOK Roster - Latest Signings

Ziaka

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems pretty fair, though playing in 70% of games (even if substitutions count) might be tough. He may choose to chase those petrodollars instead but if this is the club he wanted to retire at, now's his chance.

I'm reading this offer is quite a bit less than what he received prior to the playoffs. The bonus was also set at playing 15 games not 70%. He knocked that offer back apparently wanting a guaranteed contract of 2 years instead of the 1 +1 option. If that is indeed the case then it's hard to imagine him accepting this new offer, I think sadly we've seen the last of Vierinha at PAOK and if that's the case it's a shame the way it's all ending and a little surprising. 

Edited by paokarag4

It’s a tricky one.  On the one hand it could be argued he was the lynchpin and driving force to get us the title.  And for that I will always be grateful.  So throw the dollars at him.  But on the other hand it could be argued he’s already been handsomely compensated for his services.  I believe his wage was around 1.5 million.

Going from 1.5 million to 500K is a bit too big a drop.  750K and it would’ve been sweet.  I think it’s about ego at this point also.  It’s not about the dollar amount itself, but more so the large reduction.

One other thing is that he didn’t exactly set the world on fire this season.  Still, given his influence in the squad and his history with the club I can only hope the club it works out somehow.  It would be great if he could retire with us.

If he was offered substantially more than 500k a few months ago, and then rejected it...I can't say I'm too sympathetic. The team has leverage in this case as their cup runneth over with wingers, and as you say he wasn't nearly as good this year. 500k for someone who's torn ligaments in both knees and is on the bad side of 30 means he'll either have to settle for less, or go play in the Middle East for one more pay day. I definitely would not blame him if he did that. Careers are short and you should maximize your earnings while you can.

Personally I wouldn't mind 500k for two guaranteed years as I think he'll be a nasty impact sub. But it sounds like PAOK doesn't want to tie into a commitment that will disincentivize the player for the upcoming year. While of course he doesn't want to cut his wages by 2/3. I would not be too surprised if there's some compromise reached, though.

I think he will join Lucescu in Saudi Arabia for one last fat paycheck. It's no secret that he did not get along with Ferreira.

In other current roster news, Lambrou is going on a loan to Twente Enschede, which will also include a buyout option.

Yikes. At least he'd get lots of playing time there. Unless that option is insultingly low, though, I don't know how they can afford him.

Warda actually joining us in training, which surprises me. I thought the extension was just so we could eek out a few hundred thousand euroes in a transfer, but the questions and responses seem to imply he thinks he's staying. Surely that can't be so?

So right now we have Lamprou out on loan, with Vieirinha and Biseswar possibly on their way out soon. Limnios "has interest from clubs" but that's probably just nonsense. Stoch was rumored for some garbage-level team in Turkey a few weeks ago but I doubt that will happen, as well. MAYBE if these guys all leave, we'd have room for Warda? Unlikely. He seems a likable enough guy but he's completely unhinged.

I'd say that's trending to be right but then realized we've had like three seasons of proof already. But a lot of our administration has changed recently, so there might not be much memory of his antics at this point. I guess we'll see.

Schwab.jpg.7ca76466e3ec79eb83beb4bbc3ff29b1.jpg

NAME:                        Stefan SCHWAB
POSITION:                 Midfield
JERSEY NUMBER:    22
BIRTHDAY:                29-September-1990
BIRTH PLACE:          Saalfeden, Austria
HEIGHT:                     1.83 m
PAOK DEBUT:  
NT DEBUT:                  14-Nov-2017  (Austria - Uruguay  2:1) 
PREVIOUS TEAMS:   
Rapid Vienna, Admira Wacker, FC Lustenau, Red Bull Salzburg, Saalfeldner SK
CONTRACT ENDS:    30-Jun-2023 (2+1)
SALARY:                     
€  350,000 per season (+15% 2021-2022, +15% 2022-2023, release fee € 200,000 after 2021-2022 season)

• 2 weeks later...

Ninua.jpg.7e9905fde01ea1f02c46ec5a7239e8ed.jpg

NAME:                        Nika NINUA
POSITION:                 Midfield
JERSEY NUMBER:    32
BIRTHDAY:                22-June-1999
BIRTH PLACE:          Tbilisis, Georgia
HEIGHT:                     1.86 m
PAOK DEBUT:  
NT DEBUT:                   
PREVIOUS TEAMS:   
Dinamo Tbilisi
CONTRACT ENDS:    30-Jun-2024
SALARY:                      
€  

• 3 weeks later...

Zivkovic.jpg.8e117364a7eda692074039a75364d931.jpg

NAME:                         Andrija ZIVKOVIC
POSITION:                  Forward
JERSEY NUMBER:     14
BIRTHDAY:                 11-July-1996
BIRTH PLACE:            Nis, Yugoslavia
HEIGHT:                     1.69 m
PAOK DEBUT:          
NT DEBUT:                 11-Oct-2013  (Serbia - Japan  2:0) 
PREVIOUS TEAMS:   
Benfica Lisbon, Partizan Beograd
CONTRACT ENDS:    30-Jun-2022
SALARY:                      
€  

Fereira.jpg.a4c85a2f48ac65a529f665798f9d8208.jpg

NAME:                        Adrian PEREIRA
POSITION:                  Left Back
JERSEY NUMBER:     16
BIRTHDAY:                31-August-1999
BIRTH PLACE:           Stavanger, Norway
HEIGHT:                      1.81 m
PAOK DEBUT:          
NT DEBUT:                    
PREVIOUS TEAMS:   
Viking Stavanger, Stavanger IF
CONTRACT ENDS:      30-June-2024 
SALARY:                      
€  

Can someone explain to me why all this buy out clause talk matters? The "journalists" are going nuts over this (just as they did when we signed a spate of players to contracts WITH clauses a few years ago). I don't see how it's relevant to how a team deals with incoming offers. Like, if someone were to offer us 9 million for Giannoulis, you tellin' me we wouldn't jump on it? Or 13mm for a player with a 15mm clause? When all is said and done, the same tactics will still be used by players to get out of contracts, and teams will still accept less money if they feel a player has outgrown his usefulness...

Hell, the Spanish league requires all players to have clauses, but I guarantee you 99% of them don't ever get exercised.

Anyway, rant over. Good that he's extended. Now to hope Giannoulis plays ball. The fact that we even have to ask nicely implies that he was planning on getting out of here - perhaps we'll see him leave in the winter instead.

There is nothing wrong with a buyout clause assuming it's not too low.  The risk is always there that a club will pay it out and would've potentially paid more.  If you take Tsimikas as an example, who would've though 12 months ago he'd be sold to the EPL for 13 million.  So what would you have set his buyout clause at ?  5 million might've sounded about right 12 months ago, hell, make it 10 million just for laughs.  And yet, he got sold for 13 million.  Bang, you've just lost 3 million.

So it beggars the question, why even bother with the buyout clause.  All it can do is hurt your negotiating position.  I see zero sense in having a buy out clause.  Alternatively, if you set it crazy high, just in case, it serves no purpose at all.  In summary, best case the buyout means nothing (too high) or you've lost out because the player suddenly improved (too low).

What would you set Tzolis buyout clause at 12 months ago ?  And what would it be today ?  What about in 12 months from now ?  What if it was 2 million and suddenly a big club swoops in because to them 2 million is like 2 dollars.

Edited by Bananas

I agree from a club point of view a buy-out clause makes no sense. It's the players and or their managers that would push it IMO. Especially a Tzolis or Giannoulis who would have their eyes firmly set on a move abroad at some point, the buyout options doesn't allow the club to stop them leaving if it's met. I believe it's also used as a negotiating tool, "Ok I won't insist on a 500k a year salary, I'll take 400K but I want a buyout option inserted into my contract" 

Clubs don't tend to keep players against their will for the most part, but we've seen this past summer with Messi and Barca so it does happen. 

Edited by paokarag4

Wague.jpg.1467e1e029eb24dd32a72fcc5b3d9f4c.jpg

NAME:                        Moussa WAGUE
POSITION:                 Right Back
JERSEY NUMBER:    18
BIRTHDAY:                04-October-1998
BIRTH PLACE:          Bingona, Senegal
HEIGHT:                    1.77 m
PAOK DEBUT:          
NT DEBUT:                  23-Mar-2017 (Nigeria-Senegal 1:1)   
PREVIOUS TEAMS:   
OGC Nice, FC Barcelona B, FC Barcelona, KAS Eupen, Aspire Academy
CONTRACT ENDS:    30-June-2021 (loan - PAOK pays 100% of salary) 
SALARY:                     
€ 

Colak.jpg.360ddd7f597f9d2d8cccedbd02d97523.jpg

NAME:                         Antonio COLAK
POSITION:                  Forward
JERSEY NUMBER:     25
BIRTHDAY:                 17-September-1993
BIRTH PLACE:            Ludwigsburg, Germany
HEIGHT:                     1.87 m
PAOK DEBUT:          
NT DEBUT:                    
PREVIOUS TEAMS:   
HNK Rijeka, FC Ingolstadt, Darmstadt 98, 1.FC Kaiserlautern, 1899 Hoffenheim, Legia Gdansk, 1.FC Nurnberg, Karlsruher SC, 1899 Hoffenheim, SGV Freiberg, Stuttgarter Kickers, SGV Freiberg
CONTRACT ENDS:    30-June-20204
SALARY:                    
€ 450,000 (NHK Rijeka owes 15% of resale)