Phantis Forums

UEFA Cup draw

Ziaka

Genclerbiligi drew Aigaleo so that's not a problem!

Our teams drew as follows:

Panionios - Udinese

Gorica - AEK

PAOK - Alkmaar

Aigaleo - Genclerbiligi

Panionios will have trouble with Udinese, I predict AEK making it through barely, PAOK should go through, and Aigaleo is a toss up. Nevertheless I will be cheering for all of them. :gr: :gr: :gr:

guyz, i'm sorry to tell but Greek clubs will have a hard time in UEFA first rnd.... I will post my comments on the Greek & Turkish clubs games as I clearly have a good deal of info about them...

PANIONIOS v UDINE...

a tough one to call but with the aid of experience, i see it going to the Italians, they kept their key guys if i'm not mistaken (Jankulovski and co.) if Panionios can smother a win over Udine in which they wouldn't concede (1-0, 2-0) it could perhaps be enough...

CHEF'S PERCENTED PREDICTION: 56% - 44 % (UDINE)

NK GORICA v AEK ATHENS...

AEK is the only team which i couldn't follow in their pre-season. so i do not know anything about their squad but i know that most of the key guyz left for European teams (Kapsis, Zagorakis) or are free agents now (Lakis, Tsartas). Gorica is a club who hardly went past the preliminaries of a European cup they took part in so it's still AEK with a good margin, i believe. I mean even a rubbish AEK side can put off the Slovenians...

CHEF'S PERCENTED PREDICTION: 64 % - 36 % (AEK ATHENS)

PAOK v AZ...

another tough one but if you consider both clubs' recent showings, you feel it is even tougher than you felt first. AZ had a horrendous start to the Dutch League and PAOK simply sank against Maccabi. It could really be a hard one but i just about see PAOK going thru... Salpingidis will probably be the decider...

CHEF'S PERCENTED PREDICTION: 52 % - 48 % (PAOK SELANIK)

AIGALEO v G. BIRLIGI...

it's been a terribly poor Gencler team compared to last year and they eliminated Rijeka with a last minute goal from a new hope of Turkish football, Ugur Boral. but they are still Gencler and i think are the red hot favourites to qualify. i'm not underestimating the City but Gencler will probably have the stronghold in midfield in both games and I see 2-1 away win for Gencler in Stavro Mavrostalati. One mighty tip for Aigaleo may be that Gencler's 4-4-2 formation is definitely not paying off offensively. A good attacking press may shudder the shaky defence...

CHEF'S PERCENTED PREDICTION: 60 % - 40 % (G. BIRLIGI)

BESIKTAS v BODO/GLIMT FK...

Besiktas has a notorious reputation of making Norwegian teams famous. In 1995 they lost to Rosenborg to hand the Trondheim-side their first CL appearance and in 1998 they screwed up a 3-0 lead against Valeranga to get eliminated in CWC. Ironically, it was John Alieu Carew who scored two goals against Besiktas to leave them out... Bodo is currently ninth in the Norwegian Tippaligaen and not looking at all good. Their most dangerous guy Olsen is out with a hip injury and will probably not take part against Besikas. Besiktas had a torrid start to the season with 2 draws and 2 losses in 4 games but they will come over the Norwegian challenge at their third attempt with the help of the tallest Norwegian! What a story, huh!!!

CHEF'S PERCENTED PREDICTION: 59 % - 41 % (BESIKTAS)

TRABZONSPOR v ATHLETIC BILBAO...

a very impressive Trabzonspor side somehow succeeded to rubbish a 1-2 away win over Dinamo Kiev and knocked themselves out of the CL. now they have a good way to go in the UEFA and i think that the Basque-side is a good one to open the account... i highly fancy Trabzonspor, though the tall striking combination of Ezquerro & Urzaiz can be a huge hindrance for the Tigers...

CHEF'S PERCENTED PREDICTION: 54 % - 46 % (TRABZONSPOR)

... as a summary, i see AEK (definitely) and PAOK (probably) into the group stages of the UEFA Cup from Greece. i also think that the Turkish clubs will all get thru to the next round.

though football is open to all sorts of surprises!!! B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

• 3 weeks later...

As for my country's clubs in this first round:

D. Bystrica - Benfica: Benfica should go through easily. I hope Trapattoni doesn't screw up this time! :angry:

Hearts - Sp. Braga: Perhaps if they manage a good result away, Braga can do it back home; 50/50.

Sevilla - Nacional: I don't really think Nacional stands a chance against the andaluzians. But you never know!

Maritimo - G. Rangers: I think Maritimo is perfectly able to beat Rangers. I hope they have the luck they missed some years ago against Juventus and Leeds!

Sporting - R. Viena: Sporting are playing some crappy ball, but I think Rapid is too weak anyway. Still Genclerbirligi knocked them surprisingly out last year, winning 3-0 at Alvalade! :D

Well, I hope that Benfica and Maritimo, at least, go through! Good luck for the rest.

Archived