Phantis Forums

can kenteris still run next week?

petpnyc

Do I think Kenteris will run next week? No. Do I want him to run next week? No. He's done enough damage by getting in a mess like this, he should just wait till the next olympics. People wouldnt' be that sensitive then if he runs then. If he were to run next week, I think there will be many boos from the crowd, Greeks included.

Greek duo 'look unhurt'

Greek duo face police probe

A medical report has cast doubt over the injuries suffered by Greek sprinters Costas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou, reports suggest.

The pair, who were involved in a motorcycle accident after missing a drugs test, face being expelled from Athens at a tribunal on Thursday.

News agency Reuters has reported that Kenteris suffered slight scratches, while Thanou had no visible injuries.

Both athletes have firmly denied using banned substances.

However, the report said both athletes had complained of dizziness and the examiner's inspection on Monday could not rule out internal head injuries.

On leaving hospital, Kenteris declared: "I suffer a great injustice.

"I have never used banned substances."

Kenteris and Thanou were suspended by the Greek Olympic committee on Saturday pending the outcome of Wednesday's International Olympic Commitee disciplinary hearing.

After crucifixion comes resurrection

Kostas Kenteris

The hearing will quiz the pair about the circumstances behind their missed drugs test last Thursday, before making recommendations to the IOC executive committee.

As he was whisked away in a car from the KAT trauma hospital in Athens, Kenteris refused to confirm whether he would still take part in the Games should he be cleared.

"All the people who have been crucifying me on television are the same people who were standing next to me for photographs after each of my great successes," he added.

"After crucifixion comes resurrection."

Kenteris, who won a shock 200m gold medal at the 2000 Olympics, and Thanou - a 100m silver medallist in Sydney - were originally due to face the IOC last Friday.

But they were granted a 72-hour delay after doctors reported they were unfit to attend the hearing.

Kenteris was the centre of a media scrum as he left hospital

Monday's re-scheduled hearing was then delayed for a further two days while Kenteris and Thanou remained in hospital.

Kenteris reportedly had minor injuries while Thanou was said to be experiencing discomfort in her groin area.

Thanou, who left the hospital about 40 minutes after Kenteris, looked despondent as she was driven out the front gates with reporters sticking microphones through her car window.

"I feel very bitter with everything I have been hearing these past few days," she said. "I am waiting for the IOC decision."

Failure to appear at a mandatory drugs test carries a threat of suspension, and the pair could be expelled from the Games in their home city.

The women's 100m heats begin on Friday, while the men's 200m heats start next Tuesday.

The sprinters' coach, Christos Tzekos - also suspended - is convinced the IOC will take no action against them.

"We are definitely confident they will be cleared," he said.

The IOC rejected a request by the pair for a dope test in hospital.

"I don't know what their strategy was but we did not fall for it," said IOC medical commission head Arne Ljungqvist.

"It would not make any sense to test them in the hospital. You can fix things there so you don't get a positive result."

THE MORE HE TALKS THE MORE OF A FOOL HE LOOKS :tdown:

I agree with Kenteris on this one:

"All the people who have been crucifying me on television are the same people who were standing next to me for photographs after each of my great successes," he added.

I dont really care if he runs or not! If he does, good luck to him, im sure we will be 100% happy and proud if he wins a gold again. But, right now, im too busy cheering for other Greeks making real achievements, to be wasting my time on two athletes who were absent in the Opening Ceremony and who spoiled Greece's huge effort to host this Olympiad.

Paidia

you don't know what happend. And all these people bagging him can go to hell. How do you know that English and the Americans did something so they can stuff them up.

Because he is Greek everybody talks but if it was an american or English what they bag them? I don't think so.

Atimi ratsa

This morning's news: Kenderis and Thanou withdrew themselves from the Olympic Games. Well Thanou would have no chance it competing on the 21st anyway, since she wasnt even on the list of sprinters for the 100m! Kenderis may have had a chance but decided to stop his collaboration with Tzekos, and withdrew himself from this Olympiad. Kalitera etsi mallon, prin to kanei i Olimbiaki Epitropi... :rolleyes: Speaking of which, the Olympic Committee is now announcing its decision on the 2 athletes!

*runs to the living room*

Bare with me!

Yes. The Olympic Committee has just disallowed Kenderis, Thanou and coach Tzeko, however and as i previously said, the two athletes had earlier retired from these Olympic Games. IAAF will now be the one to decide on their fate concerning future Championships. Ti na po... :unsure:

Kenteris pulls out of Games

August 18, 2004

GREEK Olympic 200 metres champion Costas Kenteris, the focus of an Olympic doping scandal, withdrew from the Athens Games today "out of a sense of responsibility".

His training partner Katerina Thanou, silver medallist in the 100 at Sydney, said she too would not compete after an International Olympic Committee hearing into why the pair, Greek national heroes, missed dope tests last week.

Their controversial coach has also handed in his accreditation.

“With a sense of responsibility and national interest I am retiring from the Olympic Games,” Kenteris told reporters as emerged from the Athens hotel where IOC officials are based.

Thanou, emerging a few minutes later, said: “I will not take part in the Games. I will not race. I have handed in my accreditation to the IOC.”

The IOC declined comment.

Kenteris said: “I am adamant, I was never notified to go to the Olympic Village to take the test. Over the last years, I have gone through over 30 tests with no problems,” he added, referring to the missed eve-of-Games test last Thursday.

“My country is organising the Olympics again after 108 years,” he said, acknowledging the national scandal that has cast a shadow over the early days of the 16-day Games.

“With a full sense of responsibility, I am withdrawing from the Games.”

He also said he would break ties with his coach: “I announce that I am ending my association with the coach Christos Tzekos.”

Kenteris, a candidate for the honour of lighting the Olympic flame at last Friday's opening ceremony, was a surprise gold medallist in the 200 metres at the Sydney Games.

Thanou took silver in the women's 100 metres.

“I came here to testify before the committee,” she said. “Some Greeks have accused me in the last few days of having used forbidden substances, whereas there is no such issue for the relevant IOC committee.”

Olympic anti-doping testers failed to find the two at the Olympic village on Thursday. Later that night they said they were in a motorcycle accident and checked into hospital, leaving only on Tuesday.

No other vehicles were involved in the accident and no witnesses have come forward.

An IOC disciplinary hearing was postponed twice because the two said their injuries prevented their attendance.

WHAT HAPPENED TO RESURRECTION?

IM GLAD HE PULLED OUT SAVE US THE RIZILI OF HIM LYING HIS INNOCENCE

NOW HE CAN WAIT 108 YEARS TO COMPETE IN GREECE :P

AKRIVOS, aftoi xanoun tin MONADIKI efkairia na agonistoun stous istorikous Olimbiakous Agones pou epanilthan stin Ellada meta apo 108 xronia. If i were them, i would have cried just for missing the opening ceremony, even if i still were to compete.

well i for one think he's innocent.

is he...or more likely, the people around him, guilty of being stupid? absolutely. theres no excuse for missing a doping test. but i dont think he ever used drugs.

as for the moto accident...i had an exact same accident a few years ago in athens, around 12am, riding on a bike with a buddy of mine...and there was no one around to help us, no passing cars, no nothing....so the fact that they had an accident and no one saw it is extremely possible.

its all a big shame that all this happened and they cant run. but i thank kenteris and thano for the joy youve brought me, and all of greece in the past.

Swisss TV brought this evening a report...about this case....as they have found a calender of M. Jones....where everything is exactly noted...when what was taken....

Of course the report started with Kenteris , Thanou.....but there are also some US Athletes, who take the same anabolicas..... but J. Jones will start in the Olympic Games.

They said also there is a lotion...if you put it on your skin...or you take the pills of it.....

the testing will always be negative.....

So, therefore they needed to be in the hospital.....

But as it was known that the Greeks are / were taking Dopes.....the Greek Goverment should have intervened before the games...in order to avoid this big embarassement for the whole Nation...and for the majority of the Greek people....

When Swiss talk about Olympics with me ...the first thing that they say is Kenteris / Thanou.....

A big effort of the whole nation has been spoiled .....and Greece is not shining to the world as it has merited.

Since 2 years I was always wondering what will happen with Kenteris / Thanou...regarding doping (as I always was sure that they dope due to my observations)........ sometimes I thought ...maybe they will (No Greeks)... not intervene because Greece is hosting the games....and due to the big Greek Expenses.......

It looks that Kenteris / Thanou had the same thoughts....

Archived