Phantis Forums

A Tribute to the unforgotten City....

nightsurfer

Turk,

You have to understand, and this is not meant to offend you, but that city will always be known as Constantinople for us. I have never been able to bring myself to refer to it by the name you mentioned.

Having visited Constantinople last summer, I was glad to have made the journey.

BTW, Taksim Square was pretty cool. I had an amazing dessert at one of the oldest shops there on the pedestrian avenue. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me but it was heavenly.

Turk,

You have to understand, and this is not meant to offend you, but that city will always be known as Constantinople for us.

Man, i know that you're gonna call it Constantinople! I was not bothered by that, i just wanted to explain that Istanbul is a great city...

And of course, you've gotta understand that we will always call it Istanbul... I didn't write ISTANBUL to offend someone or imply a message of hostility.

Guyz in this forum already know my attitude towards Greece and the Greeks. And i have a bunch of Greek frenz over there in Selanik (Thessaloniki), Iskece (Xanthi) and Volo (Volos)...

S - P - Y - R - O - S ;)

B - A - R - I - S ;)

Whatever s%$#! we call it, Istanbul - Constantinopel or anything else, it is a great city. Although it is not my favourite city in Turkey, Istanbul is a place to visit... So, i'm calling my Greek mates to come to Turkey and i'll be pleased to host anyone. i'm not an Istanbul-dweller but i live in Kocaeli, a city very close to Istanbul...

any responses...??? ;) ;) ;)

... and asking for my favourite city in Turkey...

though it is 600 km far from the closest sea,

Posted Image

AN...

Posted Image

KA...

Posted Image

RA...

Yes, to everyone's shock ANKARA :tup: ...

I was there last summer and I had mixed emotions. A lot of the city was beautiful. Very green. At the same time however, there were slums and decrepit ghettos you wouldn't send your worst enemy into.

We had a Greek kid who had grown up in Constantinople provide us with the tour. This kid was a fanatical Fener fan. He cheered them on when PAO came to play them. In any event, he showed us a lot of places that were formally Greek and there were in such an awful state...you could only shake your head.

Here's a perfect example. We were driving around the gigantic city walls that used to protect the city centuries ago. Anyway, the government has made them into a museum of sorts but it hasn't stopped the local populace from putting down farms at the base of the walls. We also saw spray paint, garbage...loads of stuff that would disgust you. I would have expected that sort of thing from gypsies. But believe me, they weren't gypsies.

The one thing I found to be really cool was meeting people who were Greek who had lived through all of the crap over the last 35-40 years and have still retained the culture and still hold thier heads up high in the face of some nasty animosity.

They are a true credit to our culture. Anyway, I don't have any regrets. I'd go there again in a second if I could with the realization that more needs to be done for the church there.

Archived