Phantis Forums

Greek Athletic Press

Ziaka

It is obvious from reading the front pages of the Greek sports newspapers these days, that they are nothing but mouthpieces for the owners of the teams that they support. The front pagest of some of these papers the last two weeks were nothing but disgraceful.

That raises a question. Is there any Greek sports newspaper that is truly independent of any teams or fair in its reporting?

Here is alist of the Greek sports papers and their affiliation. Living outside of Greece, I don't have information on all of them, so I would appreciate if others could fill in the blanks, and provide any comments about them.

PROTATHLITIS - pro-Olympiakos - worst sports paper in Greece (my opinion)

FOS TOU SPOR - pro-Olympiakos

ATHLITIKI ICHO - Panathinaikos

DERBY - pro-Panathinaikos

ORA GIA SPOR - pro-AEK - this is the paper I used to read, before there was internet

SCORE LINE - pro-AEK

ATHLITIKI MAKEDONIAS THRAKIS - pro-Aris and very anti-PAOK - the worst sports paper from North Greece

METROSPORT - claims to be independent, but is owed by Aris supporter (Nikos Petroulakis)

SPOR TOU VORRA - pro-PAOK

SPORTTIME - independent?

GOAL NEWS - Independent?

FILATHLOS - Independant?

Ziaka:

The last time I was in Greece a couple of years ago I asked a couple of my relatives who are avid sports paper readers that very same question. I was referred to Filathlos as being the most respected in terms of independence. At that time I also became a fan of GOAL news which I purchased regularly during my visit. If that paper was biased, I couldn't see it. During my stay, Champions League was just getting under way, and all 3 Greek representatives (OFSP, PAO, AEK) each received extensive coverage, including an "afierosi" before their first match.

Although, I've never reviewed Sportime, I was always presumed it was independant due to the type of headlines and articles that continually grace its front page.

Just out of curiosity, what was it about ORA GIA SPOR that made it your favourite?

Mike

Ziaka:

Just out of curiosity, what was it about ORA GIA SPOR that made it your favourite?

Mike

Well, the choice here in Chicago as far as newspapers from Greece are limited only to the ones from Athens. No Thessaloniki based papers are available here in Chicago, and as far as i can remember, they are not available in Athens either.

The reason, I chose Ora gia Spor, was because they had very good coverage other sports besides soccer. I am a big fan of track & field, and their coverage of the sport was far superior to the other available newspapers. Also their coverage of soccer was more balanced as opposed to the pro-Olympiakos, Panathinaikos papers.

Archived