Ziaka

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Charisteas signs with Schalke

Posted Image

Schalke have secured the signature of Greece striker Angelos Charisteas until the end of the season. The 30-year-old, who started training with the Bundesliga outfit on Wednesday, has been without a club since French side Arles-Avignon cancelled his contract in November.

Veteran Charisteas, who has won 85 caps for his country, arrives at the Veltins Arena as Schalke, currently 11th in the league, look to strengthen their attacking options. Speaking after his side's 1-0 home defeat to Hoffenheim on Sunday, manager Felix Magath said, with reference to Charisteas: "The defeat showed we still need a head-strong forward."

Charisteas becomes the 34th signing Magath has made since taking the helm at Schalke in July 2009. The striker, who was part of the Greece squad which won Euro 2004, is no stranger to the Bundesliga, having previously enjoyed stints at Werder Bremen, Nuremburg and Bayer Leverkusen.

Source

I really don't know how this happened :LOL: I don't why big European teams buy him.

Hmm I am with George, I don't understand why Schalke would bother, as average as they are performing this season. We all know he is no Ibrahimovic.

I guess Kyriakos Papadopoulos has been solid and they want to take a chance with a tall striker.

Which brings me to my point, if he is used "correctly" as an old fasioned striker and not how Otto used to play him as a right-sided midfielder he might actually suprise many. He will have Raul to play off him and also Huntelaar/Farfan as well to keep him on his toes.

Good luck to him though, it should be interesting to see how it all works out for him.

He takes up space, not creates it. Hes been garbage for years, and couldnt even make the squad at ARLES,. Now hes moving to a large club in a large league with strikers he's not fit to even train with. Its a pretty amazing transfer and should come as a suprise to everyone.

• 1 month later...

It was 2004 all over again today as Charisteas scored a winner while wearing a blue shirt :tup:

It was Charisteas' debut game as he played with K.Papadopoulos, both at Schalke of course, against their Greek counter-parts representing Frankfurt: Amanatidis, Gekas and Tzavellas. :tup:

Schalke took the lead before Tzavellas scored a very lucky goal, one that broke the record for the furthest ever in the Bundesliga, 73 meters! It was a long ball up towards Gekas, who in turn had a chance to shoot but the ball bounce and went past Neuer to make it 1-1. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heBIfvHgKj0...player_embedded

Then Charisteas turned back the clock with a great striker's finish to give Schalke a win on his debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COKBWHRdFAI

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this guy has a knack of picking up silverware where ever he goes, started the season in a relegation battle in france and ended up with a german cup winners medal. :gr: :tup:

interesting to see what next season holds for him, probably barcelona knowing his luck

He is being linked with a move to Rapid Vienna. They are a decent team that like to get the ball out and play with plenty of crosses into the box so Haristeas could be a useful addition to their squad.

Stefan Maierhofer was their main target man for a year and half, between 2008-2009. He was 6"7 and scored 38 goals in 60 games for them! He went to Wolves and flopped and is now on loan at Duisberg in the German second division after also failing to make an impact at Bristol City on loan! So he clearly over-achieved at Rapid and their style of play had a lot to do with that because it suited his strengths. He is taller than Haristeas of course but as we all know the Greek can be really dangerous aerially so this could be a good move for him. In January he was also been linked with a move back to Aris and they need a target man - rumours are they are looking at Petropoulos now - so he could fit in there too.

• 1 month later...

i dont think its a bad move for him. panatolikos are an ambitious club who i believe will probably stay up this year. he is turning 32 this year, his career is winding down, his form as been getting worst year by year so its a good opportunity for him to come back home and try to regain some form and close his career in acouple years...

he will get regular time there, which he would not be getting most places elsewhere..

• 1 year later...
  • Argy changed the title to Aggelos Charisteas ‒ (Retired)
  • Argy locked this topic

Archived