Phantis Forums

Michal Papadopulos (Energie Cottbus)

Ziaka

This therad is reserved for news and discussion about Michal Papadopulos, who currently plays for Bayer Leverkusen in Bundesliga.

Michal Papadopoulos stats

BORN: April 14, 1985

POSITION: Striker

HEIGHT: 188 cm

WEIGHT: 81 kg

1992 - 1998: NH Ostrava

1998 - 2003: FC Banik Ostrava

2003 - 2004: FC Arsenal London

2004 - 2005: FC Banik Ostrava

2006 - PRSENT: Bayer Leverkusen

Michal Papadopulos is a son of a friend of mine from Czechoslovakia, Tanas Papadopulos. Tanas used be a teammate of mine in the youth team of NHKG Ostrava back in 1970 - 1975. Tanas Papadopulos eventually ended up playing first division in Czechoslovakia for Banik Ostrava. In 1980-81 he ended up for one season at Panathinaikos, but did not get a chance to prove himself. He ended up playing for several B' Division teams in Greece, before returning back to Czechoslovakia, where he ended up playing his career in B & C Division teams of that country.

As for Michal, he is a product of the Banik Ostrava youth program. Eventually he played for the U-17 and U-19 national team of the Czech Republic (incidently several games against Greece). Even though his playing time in the Czech first division for Banik Ostrava was limited, the people at Arsenal London thought so highly of him, that they acquired him for their reserve team, where he is now.

• 4 weeks later...

Arsenal London decided not to renew the option for next next season for Michal Papadopulos. Papadopulos has been on loan to Arsenal from Banik Ostrava. Had Arsenal decided to keep him, they would have to pay around 3 million Euro to Banik. The reason for Arsenal deciding to let Papdopulos go is most likely his knee injury at the start of the season. Papdopulos has seen a limited action with the senior squad of Arsenal. He sat on the bench during the Inter Milan - Arsenal CL game. His only start in competitive game for Arsenal was in a Cup game against Wolverhampton. All his other action was with the Arsenal reserves.

Papadopulos now has couple options. One is to go to another European team, and French team Rennes has shown interest in him. Another option for Papadopulos is to return to Banik Ostrava, and take part in Champions League competition with his old team.

I would like to see him at PAOK, considering that he is PAOKtzis at heart.

• 1 month later...

Since Arsenal did excercise the option to keep Michal Papadopulos, the player goes back to his team in the Czech Republic, Banik Ostrava. He will training with the team dfor the upcoming season. There s still a chance that he will be traded to another team. West Ham United has shown ineterst, but the talks did not go anywhere.

Check out an interview with Michal that I posted on the main Phantis soccer page:

Papadopulos back at Banik Ostrava

• 3 months later...

Michal Papadopulos has been called to represent the Czech U-21 national team in the upcoming Euro U-21 qualification games against Romania and Armenia.

Papadopulos has allready played 3 games for the Czech U-21 national team, including the friendly game against Greece in August 2004.

Thanks Batigol. I am following Michal's career very closely, since I have some ties with his father.

To answer your question, I don't think PAOK can afford him. As long as he has a contract with Banik Ostrava, there is no way they can spend the money that Banik is asking for him. If I remember correctly, when Michal went to Arsenal on loan, with the option for Arsenal to pick him up after one year if things worked out. Arsenal decided not pick up the option, and paid Banik around 400,000 Euro for the one year loan. If they picked him, the transfer would have cost Arsenal around 3 million Euro.

BTW, Michal trained with PAOK youth team several years ago, when he was visiting Greece during the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Portionof Michal Papdopulos interview on the internet:

A vaš nejbližši cil?

"Hrat za Banik! A v předkole Ligy mistrů vyřadit PAOK Soluň! Ale nejdřive nam ho musi přišti patek nalosovat." (http://blog.lide.cz/-kufinka-/2004/07/25/764)

Losely translated:

What are your goals in the for the near future?

"Play for Banik! And in the qualifying round of thechampions Legue eliminate PAOK Thessaloniki. But first, on Friday we have to be drawn against them."

So now we know who he prefers among the two teams he is a fan of.

• 6 months later...

Apparently 2005 Czech League winners Sparta Prague are ready to make an offer to Banik Ostrava for Michal Papadopulos. Earlier this year they bought Heinz from Banik Ostrava as well. When asked about these rumors Michal said that his obligations are to Banik Ostrava and that he does not know anything.

• 6 months later...

Rumors are that Bayer Leverkusen will make an offer for Michal's services during December transfer period. It is said that Leverkusen will offer 600,000 Euro, something that papadopoulos's agent is quoted as saying "his price is at least tthree times of that". Same sources say that there is interest from 3 different clubs for Michal Papadopoulos.

Leverkusen officials are going to see Michal play in today's game against Plzen.

The two sides are close to a deal. Last night Papadopulos's manager and Banik officials came close to a deal with bayer Leverkusen officials. Bayer is offering Banik 60 million Czech Crowns (about 2 million Euro) for the player.

I don't think so. He has played for the various Czech Republic youth national teams, including the Czech U-21 NT. He even played several games, and scoring, against Greece as part of the Czech U-19 NT.

As long as he hasn't played an official game for the Senior Czech NT then he is eligable for the Greek Mens NT. This precedent was set by Frederik Kanute who played official games for the French U21's but now played for Mali or wherever he's from.

True, but everything I have read about Michal is that he considers himself more Czech than Greek. During one interview he is quoted as saying that he is 52% Czech and 48% Greek. Considering also the fact that he has history of playing in the Czech youth NT's, he would probably pick the Czech side over Greek. He holds both Czech and Greek passports. He got a Greek passport in order to make it easier for him to play for Arsenal few years back.

Anything is possible, but for that to happen, I think EPO should make an effort to persuade him to change his mind. Maybe if Michal transfers to Leverkusen, he will catch Otto's eye and things can be put in motion.

Anything is possible, but for that to happen, I think EPO should make an effort to persuade him to change his mind. Maybe if Michal transfers to Leverkusen, he will catch Otto's eye and things can be put in motion.

thats true and i think thats the problem. epo does little to nothing to persuade young diaspora greeks to play for greece. I see a similar problem with masmanidis in germany. he is a very good player and plays for the german youth teams. if the epo waits until masmanidis or papadopoulos turn major its too late in my opinion.

becaus the czechs gave papadopoulos trust and faith and called him into their national teams its gonna be very hard and ungrateful to turn down the czech republic after all they did for him . greece on the other hand did nothing for him. thats a no brainer and has nothing to do with elliniki psychi.

quality wise would you guys say hes a boost for our offensive?

Michal will sign a 3.5 yeard deal with Bayer Leverkusen next week as long as he passes all thge medical and physical tests. He will play his last game for Banik Ostrava on Saturday against Zlin.

As part of the deal Bayer Leverkkusen will pay Banik Ostrava close to 2 million Euro.

It's official, Michal passed the physical and signed a 3.5 year deal with Bayer Leverkusen. He will eligible to play for Bayer starting in January 2006.

Posted Image

Michal Papadopoulos in the Czech U-21 jersey in a game against Holland.

• 7 months later...
  • Argy locked this topic

Archived