Phantis Forums

Hooligans & Thugs

Posted Image

The most memorable game I attended was the match at Neopoli between Ionikos and Olympiakos. The fighting at the end of this match has made it onto many videos and tv shows on sporting violence. This account by Craig Brewster is an accurate account of that day:

'The problem with Greece is the fans think they can do whatever they want by abusing you. I had a bad experience out there when there was a riot after a game with Olympiakos and it was quite scary. It made CNN news with battles on the park and players involved. At the final whistle some of their fans jumped over and had a go with one of our coaches and it all happened from that. Some players got involved, more fans came over and I was out of there. I didn't realise the extent of the incident until I saw it on TV and it was frightening. It was disgraceful.'

What really was disgraceful was the performance of the referee, who single-handedly created the vitriolic atmosphere with an absolutely shocking display of biased refereeing. I personally didn't end up on the field (my boss wouldn't have been too happy seeing me on TV), but even I, a visitor, was totally incensed at the decisions I had witnessed, and completely understood why everyone around me felt the need to go over the fence.

In no way do I condone violence in the stadiums, but I also hate to see our 'beautiful game' destroyed in such a blatant way. :tdown:

I watched it just now (EST U.S.) it's ON all day. Sorry , no Greece guys only a match between pao-Olympiakos at OAKA and some Aris game. The rest was England, germany, italy , france and south America. Man these fights were hand to hand not throwing rocks or flares on any bullshit. There were some scary scenes that can't even be compared to Greece.

Liverpool-Arsenal i think it was UEFA cup final was the most violent after the wall collapsed and people were stuck under other people.. Many deaths the scenes were simply crazy

It's 1 Hour, I think it probably worth the 7 bucks, but again it's nothing special ;) Plus i recorded on VHS to watch it later on but I probably wont it's nothing special

P.S. - The only thing that sucks is that when they show fights they don't have the actual sounds of it and they have music insted :P

Liverpool-Arsenal i think it was UEFA cup final was the most violent after the wall collapsed and people were stuck under other people.. Many deaths the scenes were simply crazy

Was this the one in 1989 where 96 people were killed? I was reading about this today, but I didn't really get exactly how it happened. Maybe it's just hard to imagine dying from being crushed against a fence :(

Liverpool were unfortunately involved in two such incidents - the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough, Sheffield in 1989, and the European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus at the Heysel Stadium, Brussels in 1985 .

The Hillsborough disaster was caused when police made the decision to open gates to one end of the stadium due to congestion outside. Unfortunately, many fans without tickets were also able to enter resulting in far too many fans in the enclosed area. 96 fans were crushed to death as they were either trampled on or crushed against the fence. More info available at this site:

http://www.ayup.co.uk/ref/ref0-9.html

Found these details on the cause of the Heysel disaster below on another site:

On May 29, 1985, Liverpool F.C. played Juventus in the European Cup Final, held at the Heysel Stadium. In a widely criticized move, the Belgian authorities had allocated a section of the ground to neutral fans. This was an idea opposed by Liverpool and Juventus, as it would easily provide an arena for fans who obtained tickets from Belgian ticket touts outside the ground to clash.

A flimsy wire fence had been erected to segregate the fans. After a rain of missiles from the Italian fans inside the neutral area fell upon the Liverpool fans, the Liverpool fans charged at and breached the fence. In an attempt to retreat from the advancing English fans, the Juventus fans ran to the far end of the Western End, where a concrete wall blocked their retreat. The huge load and pressure that resulted from the sheer numbers of people gathered proved too much for the wall, and eventually it gave way – falling directly upon the trapped Italian fans. 39 people (1 Belgian and 38 Italian) lost their lives.

Juventus later won the match 1-0.

As a direct result of this event The FA banned it's own clubs of participating in UEFA competitions for six years, some agree it was a move to avoid a heavier penalty from UEFA.

• 4 weeks later...

if you guys red my post called "Idea" in Soccer video clubs youd see i mentioned e-mule... I just downloaded the whole movie from emule and skimmed through it ;) (its a great filesharing tool)

How arent there any Fener Galata derbies in it? :blink:

Archived