Phantis Forums

Yiannis Kyrastas Passed Away...

I hope he makes it past this, he had us playing the best soccer i have ever seen a greek team play in my life in the first round of the champions league in 2001. We were voted best team in the world in September of 2001. I wish him the best of luck and a recovery.

Sorry do dissapoint you guys, but I heard that he has some sort of cancer, and the media are just covering the thing up....

It is a shame indeed, this terrible thing happening not only to one of the greatest footballers in Greece, but to a very good man, trusted and supported by most fans in Greece... :( :( :(

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Giannis Kyrastas lost his battle with the disease that he was fighting in the recent years.

In my opinion Greek soccer lost one of the great ex-player as well as a good coach.

R.I.P.

Here is some info on Kyrastas's career.

He started as a player in the Olympiakos youth team during the 60's. Eventually in 1972 he joined the Olympiakos senior squad. He has played 207 official games in the Olympiakos jersey. In 1981 he has transfered to Panathinaikos, where he played in 131 official games.

Kyrastas has played 46 times for the Greek national team. His debut in the national team was in 1974 agaist Cyprus. His last national team game was in 1985 against Poland. With the national team, he took part in the 1980 European Championships finals in Italy.

His coaching career started in 1987 with Ethnikos Ellinorosson. He went on to coach Messologgi, Proodeftiki, Panionios Athens, Ethnikos Piraeus, Panargiakos, Panialiakos, Panathinaikos, and Iraklis.

Archived