Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - January 2023

Blackhawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chicago Fire allegedly interested in Koutsias for 2.5mm

Personally, I think he has no chance with us. It's not about his talent - it's about Lucescu's desire for older players coupled with Tzimas waiting in the wings. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Would like a few Greek strikers on the roster for next season.

That's an excellent deal for a player that has not proven anything yet. He has not even played at the top level and only has handful of games with the senior squad. All he has going for him is the fame that he is talented. Koutsias has slowly become Tzolis number two. He is trying at any cost to leave the team for something better that is being pushed by his agents (father and uncle). Let's not forget that he extended his contract in the summer for 300K per season, but with clause that he will be loaned out. He had no intentions of trying to win a spot in the senior squad.

Let's hope he does very well with the Fire and we can get some benefits from the resale clause. I just hope that they place additional clause in the negotiations with Chicago Fire that the player can't be sold to another Greek team.

I might even get my fat ass out and attend some Fire games this season.

In other transfer news, it looks like we are loaning Quagliata to Brazilian team Cuiaba for the rest of the season, with the player's salary being split 50-50 between PAOK and Cuiaba. Apparently there will be buyout clause set as part of the deal. 

BTW, Sidclay is currently playing for Cuiaba.

Seems Koutsias to Chicago is a done deal, 2.35 million Euros up front to us, with bonuses the total fee can reach 3million. We also retain 15% of any potential future sale. 

I echo the sentiments of those in here, it's a good deal for a player who only played a handful of games for the first team. The kid seems super keen to be playing first team football and that was never going to happen at PAOK at least in the short term so probably a good move for him too. 

All in all a good piece of business and another player from the academy sold for a solid fee. He follows Tzolis and Giannoulis, plus we all know the money being rumoured for Konstantelias and Koulierakis. 

Την Κυριακή (26/2) έπεσαν οι υπογραφές της μεταγραφής του Γιώργου Κούτσια στη Chicago Fire. Στα 3,2 εκατομμύρια δολάρια το συνολικό ποσό που θα εισπράξει ο ΠΑΟΚ, άμεση η καταβολή του transfer fee των 2,5 εκατομμυρίων δολαρίων, 15% το ποσοστό μεταπώλησης που κρατάει ο Δικέφαλος, πενταετές το συμβόλαιο (4+1) του Έλληνα επιθε τικού, στα 2,35 εκατομμύρια δολάρια οι δικές του συνολικές απολαβές.

https://www.sport24.gr/sthles/to-chronodiagramma-kai-to-plaisio-tis-metagrafis-koytsia-sti-chicago-fire.9954841.html

PAOK is not the place for a junior striker. We will always go and recruit someone from overseas and play them before a kid. They will stagnate by not playing senior minutes and we will opine about wasted talent.

I am not saying that going to Chicago Fire to play reserves is the answer but the price means he will more likely be given a turn to prove himself, not get farmed out to s%$#! teams in Greece.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, Nea Bafra said:

PAOK is not the place for a junior striker. We will always go and recruit someone from overseas and play them before a kid. They will stagnate by not playing senior minutes and we will opine about wasted talent.

For these exact reasons, I doubt Tzimas will ever become a starter for us. His potential will be used to justify our sale of Koutsias now, but I just do not see a path where he stays with the squad and actually gets minutes. Expect two new strikers next season, assuming Thomas's option is not picked up. It's a real shame!

• 2 weeks later...

Really, how come pash? I think he is a good fit for Lucescu's style and while he isn't as a potent finisher as a Prijovic, we play our best football with him on the pitch.

We are building towards competing for the title next season (still in the race this year but we are playing catch-up and it's probably out of reach for 22-23), unless an absolute superstar comes I don't see Lucescu wanting to go with anyone else leading the line for next season. I hope he re-signs and is able to keep producing what he has this year. 

They may look to upgrade on Thomas as the back-up, but his late season scoring may sway the club to trigger his 1+1 renewal option. 

He is absolutely a good fit for his style, and is a decent if unexceptional player. That's the problem. He's not good enough to build a team around, and frankly he should have been scoring many more goals than he's managed. If you want to build a team that will be competitive in all three competitions, then you simply *need* someone better.

Also: even if instead we replace Thomas with a much, much better player (which we also should) - Lucescu will gravitate to Oliveira as backup over Tzimas, which feels like such a waste. Coaches shouldn't be allowed to hold on to their teddy bears forever.