Phantis Forums

UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifiers

J1078

I’m amazed some of you have such high hopes lol. No way we are battling for 2nd place. That will be left to France or the Netherlands. The Netherlands are in the final 4 of the Nations league and France even though they are going through a dry spell  have a formidable team that can cut you open. 
3rd place would be a respectable finish for Greece. 
Don’t get me wrong I will be watching and praying for a 1st or 2nd place but this team in the last 6-7 yrs has proven that they don’t have it in them. 
Our only hope of getting to Germany will be via the playoffs. Hopefully Turkey qualify because it will be a hard game if they don’t. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Our schedule lines up nicely actually

Gibraltar v Greece: 24/03
Greece v Ireland: 16/06
France v Greece: 19/06
Netherlands v Greece: 07/09
Greece v Gibraltar: 10/09
Ireland v Greece: 13/10
Greece v Netherlands: 16/10
Greece v France: 21/11

If we can have at minimum 7 points after our first 4 matches I would take that. Ending at home with Netherlands and France is huge

It is a good schedule for us of the start. France host Holland first match day. I like that we have Holland at home the second last match day that could decide second.  France in Greece the final match day let's hope France have already clinched first and field their backups. 

• Like it 3

• 1 month later...

Greece need to get back into the major tournaments.  Starting with Euro.  

Watching World Cup would be so much more exciting Greece were in it I miss that run of qualifying we had...

It's been too damn long.  

• Like it 3

17 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

Greece need to get back into the major tournaments.  Starting with Euro.  

Watching World Cup would be so much more exciting Greece were in it I miss that run of qualifying we had...

It's been too damn long.  

Aside from a strong French team, these European teams can be beaten. They are living off their past and reputation only. Belgium was thoroughly outplayed in the first game and now Morocco is taking it to them. Spain crushed a terrible Costa Rican team but I wouldn’t put much into that because Costa Rica beat a horrible Japanese team that beat Germany. Wales is horrible also.aside from France, all these teams can be beaten. 

• Like it 2

I don't think there is any way we can qualify through this. Thank god we won our Nations League group. Let's hope that Georgia qualifies directly from the Euro Qualifiers cause then we will host the Nations League playoff. The only good thing we have going for us in this group is France, Netherlands, Ireland can all take points from one another. If we win our home games and steal some points, perhaps. But we must get 6 points from Gibraltar and at least 4 from Ireland. Below is my prediction :

Gibraltar (away) - W

Ireland (home) - W

France (away) - L

Netherlands (away) - L

Gibraltar (home) - W

Ireland (away) - D

Netherlands (home) - D

France (home) - D

The last game vs France hopefully they already qualified and rest players. The above would give us 12 points. In the Euro 2022 qualifying, of the groups that had 5 teams, the second place finisher averaged 16.2 ppg. So we would have to steal probably two games (probably Netherlands home / Ireland away)

Edited by PaokCT
  • Like it 2

Will be very hard. France has first guaranteed. Watching them at the wcup even without Benzema, pogba, Konte they are dazzling. We need France to beat Holland twice hopefully. Holland have looked average at the World Cup but they will be tough to break down it will be a cagey affair when Greece play them. At least we have a plan B through a playoff. 

On 11/28/2022 at 3:47 AM, Alphonse said:

No chance for first Jimmy, we will be lucky to get a point off France, Holland who knows, keen to see more of them, but then their is the Rep Of Ireland also... thats a 50-50 too, gona be very hard

France yes. That will be hard. But I don’t think holland is unbeatable. It’s too bad of all teams we got France. All the other top teams have been a tad overrated. 

22 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

France yes. That will be hard. But I don’t think holland is unbeatable. It’s too bad of all teams we got France. All the other top teams have been a tad overrated. 

Good thing is that we play France at home last game. Hopefully they already clinch a spot. Also we play the Dutch at home right before. We get 4 points there and we should be golden.

• Like it 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Blueandwhite said:

I’m amazed some of you have such high hopes lol. No way we are battling for 2nd place. That will be left to France or the Netherlands. The Netherlands are in the final 4 of the Nations league and France even though they are going through a dry spell  have a formidable team that can cut you open. 
3rd place would be a respectable finish for Greece. 
Don’t get me wrong I will be watching and praying for a 1st or 2nd place but this team in the last 6-7 yrs has proven that they don’t have it in them. 
Our only hope of getting to Germany will be via the playoffs. Hopefully Turkey qualify because it will be a hard game if they don’t. 

What is the potential breakdown for our possible opponent and how is home/away determined.  Regarding the NL playoff. 

Edited by HellasLEAF

1 hour ago, HellasLEAF said:

What is the potential breakdown for our possible opponent and how is home/away determined.  Regarding the NL playoff. 

As it stands in League C Greece, Georgia, Kazakhstan & Turkey are assured a playoff.  
If Greece don’t qualify directly as it stands we would play Turkey at home in first playoff match. I heard we would also host the final should we make it through. 

• Like it 1

On 12/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, Ellada2004 said:

As it stands in League C Greece, Georgia, Kazakhstan & Turkey are assured a playoff.  
If Greece don’t qualify directly as it stands we would play Turkey at home in first playoff match. I heard we would also host the final should we make it through. 

So what happens if Turkey qualifies out of there Euro Group who replaces them in the nations league playoffs?

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

So what happens if Turkey qualifies out of there Euro Group who replaces them in the nations league playoffs?

According to ESPN FC said the next highest ranked country in Path C would replace them. 
Will have to see how it all plays out.

• Like it 2

On 12/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, Ellada2004 said:

What do you mean 1st match.  How many playoff matches.  It is home/away legs?

Yes. No home/away legs. 

If the tournament started tomorrow it would be:

Greece hosting Turkey

Georgia hosting Kazakhstan

Winners facing each other to qualify for Euros

If Turkey qualifies directly, Luxembourg will take their spot. Realistically we will have trouble with Turkey but should mop the other teams quite easily. 

Edited by PaokCT
  • Like it 3

Thank you for clarifying guys.  Ok it's looking not so bad really.

2 matches at home with chance to qualify for the Euros??  I take that everyday.  Heck we can bypass qualifying altogether.  And opponent is not a major European side.  

A great opportunity to get back in and raise our ranking before WC 2026 draw.  Hopefully they get it done.  

• 2 months later...