Phantis Forums

2022-2023 Nations League: Greece - Northern Ireland (27 September 2022, 21:45 EET, Georgios Kamaras Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

3 hours ago, PaokCT said:

yea confirmed pot 4. But the teams in pot 2,3 are even with us. Like you have Israel a pot 2 team. If we play to our ability I’m not worried

Ok thanks for the info. If Greece get Israel for example it would be good. Poyet completed his first objective with NT winning the group and gaining promotion to League B something his predecessor could not do. Also the team is playing nice attacking football and today crated many opportunities. Greece just have to focus a bit more on the defensive side as they did in the first four games of the NL. Impressive performances by most of the players especially Bakasetas & I really liked Baldock how he joined in the attack and delivered some nice crosses. Can’t wait for the Euro draw.

• Like it 1

Yeah worst case we end up with Belgium, France and Sweden from pot 3. Thank god we have the play-offs up our sleeve because we could end up with a really tough group. 

In saying that we could also get Hungary from pot 1 and avoid France/England in pot 2 and all of a sudden the path looks a little more straight forward. Still would be tricky, Hungary finished above Germany/England in their Nations league group and just missed out on top spot to the Italians.

All teams in the top 4 pots are tricky in their own right and generally have at least a couple of players who are playing at a decent level in one of the top 5 leagues. 

• Like it 1

Thank god the 60th minute came and we decided to play football! 

Defense doesnt look at strong as the first 4 games

Ioannidis, I was hoping for more (hold the ball up better, dont get disposessed so easy) but early days

Douvikas... no good

Pelkas is no left midfielder and I dont think he should be starting, Foundas was much better when he came on

Bakasetas, needs effective wingers to be effective

Dam shame we didn't see more of Alexopoulos and Papanikolaou in these two games, Bouchalakis aint cut it

Credit to Kourbelis, Hatzidiakos, Tsimikas, Baldock, Masouras and that ripper goal by Mantalos.

• Like it 1

Pot 1

Netherlands

Hungary

Italy

Belgium

Croatia

Portugal

Poland

Switzerland

Pot 2

Wales

England

Bosnia

Israel

France

Austria

Scotland

Finland

Serbia

Czech Republic

Pot 3

Sweden

Armenia

Romania

Slovenia

Ireland

Montenegro

Iceland

Albania

Ukraine

Norway

Pot 4

Turkey

Georgia

Kazakhstan

Luxembourg

Greece

Azerbaijan

Faroe Islands

Bulgaria

Macedonia

Kosovo

Pot 5

Northern Ireland

Slovakia

Cyprus

Belarus

Lithuania

Gibraltar

Estonia

Latvia

Moldova

Malta

Pot 6

Andorra

San Marino

Lichtenstein

• Like it 1

14 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

I'd love for a Hungary, Israel, Albania, Greece, Gibraltar group.

This would be an incredible draw! Hungary are in good form lately but Greece can compete with them. We must avoid Spain, France and Sweden grouping. 

9 hours ago, J1078 said:

I would say in addition to that in pot 2 you also want to avoid Austria and Serbia and in Pot 3 Ukraine and maybe Sweden to avoid.

I would be happy to get Austria, traditionally a team we do ok against them. Dont want Serbia, Ukraine or Sweden although we showed we can beat Sweden last campaign but also shat ourselves over there

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 2

4 hours ago, Alphonse said:

I would be happy to get Austria, traditionally a team we do ok against them. Dont want Serbia, Ukraine or Sweden although we showed we can beat Sweden last campaign but also shat ourselves over there

Austria would not be bad to draw. I definitely agree that we don’t want Serbia. They won their NL group & Mitrovich is firing in tonnes of goals. Plus they have a lot of other dangerous players too. 

a twitter account that runs percentages and possibilities for every draw/qualification called Global Football said they did 1000 simulations of the draw and this was our most likely group :

Switzerland

England

Greece

Iceland

Gibraltar

This would be entertaining, but no way we get out.