Phantis Forums

PAOK at a crossroad - What's Next?

Dutch Eagle

My first thoughts after last Thursday.

Let Kurtic go. His mind is elsewhere. Not a PAOK for sure. Get some money. Let Tsiggaras play.

Let Douglas Augusto go. Xerokefalos. Does not learn. Should now/do better at his age. 

Vieirinha. The same + with his experience. Give him a job in the staff. This one or PAOK B or the U19.

Andrija. He is lost. Does he need a shrink to get back on track?

Ingason. Was OK (not good or bad)

Schwab. the same.

Koutsias: he is young. I give him some credits.

My friend Biseswar: the only with brains. 

The newbies: to soon to tell but not a Wowww-factor at first glance, though Dantas could be the one that will make us happy. A pity he is a loanee. 

• Blackhawk changed the title to PAOK at a crossroad - What's Next?
3 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Are we on the right path with the rebuild? And do PAOK fans have the patience for it?

Are we on the right path ?  Yes ... because we don't have a choice.  The old guard from 18/19 are all gone.

Do PAOK fans have the patience ?  Stupid question ha ha.  Of course not.

I think we won't be able to judge Boto's signings until round 10 or so.  So far they are unimpressive.  The only good thing to come out of pre season is Koutsias.  I just hope we can scrounge enough points to at least be -6 points or less from Olympiacos at the winter break so we can at least be interested in the league.  Having one game a week will have its advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by Bananas

How are we on the right path....? 

We invest in youth then appoint a coach who refuses to play young greeks. Can you see logic here? 

One minute we want experiance then the next season we want youth... Pick a F***en option and stick to it for crying out loud. 

We have been shrinking the player budget for 4 seasons in a row and now have the same budget as Aris... How is this possible? 

Ivan seems to have recouped all his Investement is it time for hin to put the team for sale now? Time for fresh blood? He did 10 years we thank him immensly. He saved the club in our some of our darkest days he brought trophies to the toumba but since he hasnt been around for years is it now time for him to move on?? 

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1

I think we need to stick to a plan and go for it. We have one of the best youth systems in Greece yet how many greeks get playing time? If we want a rebuild then we need to fully commit. But if the coach doesn’t play the youth , if he’s more of an experienced preferred coach, then we should have brought in guys with more experience. I feel like we are one leg in one plan and the other leg in another plan. Not qualifying for Europe was a failure, no putting it any other way. What happens if we finish 4/5 and don’t win the cup? Then this season would be considered a failure and I could see changes. But what if we challenge for the title and the cup now that our only focus is Greece? 

This year the League has a bonus as second place secures CL qualifiers too. Must route for that. Would be better if O Aris and PAO make it to the GS of ECL. They are not used to play Thursday Sunday Thursday Sunday Thursday Sunday. This year the schedule is even more squeezed in a few weeks thanks to the WC.

• Like it 1

Not sure if Lucescu is committed to the rebuilding process. I have a feeling that he would have preferred seasoned (and much more expensive) players. However the decision was made by Savvidis to make the team self-sufficient and that's why he hired Boto. I have a feeling that in the end Lucescu will leave the team and Boto will bring in a coach to run the rebuilding process.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't consider it lost, not yet.  It's not unusual after an "era" comes to an end for this to happen.  The only clubs that don't experience this are the big boys who have virtually unlimited cash.  Then again, how would one explain the absolute mess that has been Man Utd in recent times ... it's not like they are short of money.

Anyway, I would consider this season lost if we don't start to see the formation of a core of players, a nucleus, to build on for the forthcoming seasons.  If even half of our transfers this summer prove to be first team regulars I think that would be a good start.  For example, we paid 2 million for a new goalkeeper ... I would like to think that by the end of the season we can all agree he is considerably better than Paschalakis.  Otherwise, what is the point.

Kargas, Nasberg, Quagliata, Narey, Soares, Ricardo ... let's see if we signed duds or not.  Thomas I have a bad feeling about already but again let's see.  There is a lot of work for Lucescu to do, that is for sure.  The media and the "hardcore" fans will start with their diatribe no doubt.  This is where the club, manager and players just have to get on with the job and ignore the inevitable "drama".

For now I will wait until the winter break before meting out judgements and justice.

• Like it 1