Phantis Forums

2022-2023 Nations League: Greece - Kosovo (12 June 2022, 21:45 EET, Panthessaliko Stadium, Volos)

Just now, Brklyngrk said:

We won the group.  Funny thing is that JVS was all about possession and we had 60% again AND scored goals. 

I thought JVS was good at the beginning and then something changed.  The last time we won these many games in a row was under Santos.

And let's give Poyet his due! None of us were too crazy about his hire, and he is 4-0 in this competition, and 5-1 overall. This is the best we've been since we got back from Brazil.

• Like it 6

2 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

We won the group.  Funny thing is that JVS was all about possession and we had 60% again AND scored goals. 

I thought JVS was good at the beginning and then something changed.  The last time we won these many games in a row was under Santos.

JVS started well but then he regressed. His game management & subs at times were baffling and cost us a few games. 
Siopis had another great match. His work rate is incredible.

• Like it 4

We played 4 games, all on the same level that we have played in the past. We dominated all 4 and earned all 4 wins!! Nice to see that the work translated into wins.

Regarding the attack, apparently it was the flares being thrown towards their fans. Obviously that's never cool to do but again, not the reason they lost.

The Kosovo reporter asked Poyet why he disrespected there captain, apparently the Kosovo captain mentioned it in a press conference. Poyet said "I'm old school if he wants to talk to me he can but i wont mention anything here"

6 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The Kosovo reporter asked Poyet why he disrespected there captain, apparently the Kosovo captain mentioned it in a press conference. Poyet said "I'm old school if he wants to talk to me he can but i wont mention anything here"

How did he disrespect him? 

Fantastic to see 4/4 wins and all of them being clean sheets. Haven’t seen this type of results for a long time. But yet again we were supposed to top this group. League B doesn’t look anything special. We’ve beaten most of these teams in the past. The real test is League A. I still don’t think we are playing our best players but I’m very happy to see 4 wins.

• Like it 2

Of course the level of the competition isn't that great but I think Poyet is building on the good things JVS began early on, with the difference being that he has adapted the game plan to his players' abilities and not trying to play strictly possession football. He seems to have properly assessed his players and isn't asking for anything from any player that they can't deliver. He is also able read the game well and adapt to in-game situations and to make correct strategy changes and  substitutions at the right moment..

I have to say that under Poyet I am starting to see why Bakasetas and Mantalos are usually starting for the NT....really much more substantial play from both compared to playing under the other coaches. This is probably what Skibbe & JVS saw during practice and penciled them in to the starting 11 most games only to disappoint. Imo Mantalos has had 4 of his best appearances for the NT. These 2 are now emerging as leaders on the field (and it's about time).

Glad to see Giakoumakis get a goal as he has been sniffing around the past few games but not connecting. I think all the players rated between good to outstanding with my only complaint being that for some strange reason with Bouxalakis (who had a good game) starting, the back-pedaling was a little more pronounced than in the previous games. All in all I don't think we could have asked for more considering the management change.

• Like it 3

4 out 4 wins in 10 days. No goals conceded. Poyet couldnt have asked for a better start. Players can now have a good break. I like Poyet. He's old school, a little bit crazy.

The real tests are coming in the next Euro qualifiers, but the way team is playing, gives me the belief that we can compete and beat stronger nations.

I would love to see this Greece team in Germany in 2024.

• Like it 4

On 6/13/2022 at 7:02 AM, Ellada2004 said:

JVS started well but then he regressed. His game management & subs at times were baffling and cost us a few games. 
Siopis had another great match. His work rate is incredible.

JVS was rubbish. Couldn't even succeed in our lowly Aussie A League. Argued with his best player Bruno Fornarelli and never played him again. Blocked me on Instagram when I asked if he thought that zero shots on target at home in the first half vs Kosovo was acceptable. 

• Like it 2

• 5 weeks later...

Wow I've been trying to make an account for 2 years and finally have succeeded!

Just wanted to say will Greece play in a Nations League final tournament now they've won their group? 

• Like it 2

22 hours ago, ChrisT said:

Wow I've been trying to make an account for 2 years and finally have succeeded!

Just wanted to say will Greece play in a Nations League final tournament now they've won their group? 

Hi re maik! Onion with your Lamb Yeeros?

Ha ha, no re hold the onions!

I looked on Wikipedia and previously there was some sort of knock out phase for the Nation's League.

But tbh the tournament is such a confusing mess I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

• Like it 1

22 hours ago, ChrisT said:

Ha ha, no re hold the onions!

I looked on Wikipedia and previously there was some sort of knock out phase for the Nation's League.

But tbh the tournament is such a confusing mess I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

Welcome to the forum. As paokarag4 said the 4 group winners of League A play a semi final and final for the Nations League Trophy which is currently held by France. The other leagues group winners get promotion to next tier. 
Greece by winning our group have secured promotion to League B & locked up a playoff spot for Euro 2024 should we need it.

• Like it 1

Ahh ok I get sorry the heat is causing me to be a bit slow.

Tbh they should have had it where all group winners went into a final knockout tournament (16 teams) then the winner and maybe runners up get automatic qualification to the Euros. That way it's a lot more interesting. And teams that aren't that commited as they're sure of qualifying the normal route will field weaker teams and give smaller nations a chance.

The way it is now all the group A winners will more than likely quality automatically and UEFA will keep having to pass it down the table, probably to the team that came last in group A. Stupid.

• Like it 1

At this rate , the playoffs for our euro 2024 would be between Turkey, Greece, Kazakhstan, and Georgia. Would be the semi final and final. We should hope Turkey qualify directly , then Luxembourg would take their place. If we don’t qualify from groups directly, then surely we would beat out any of these 3 other teams

• Like it 3

On 7/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, PaokCT said:

At this rate , the playoffs for our euro 2024 would be between Turkey, Greece, Kazakhstan, and Georgia. Would be the semi final and final. We should hope Turkey qualify directly , then Luxembourg would take their place. If we don’t qualify from groups directly, then surely we would beat out any of these 3 other teams

Yes Turkey would be a tough opponent. Though if Poyet keeps Greece playing the way they did in the last 4 games they will be tough for anyone to beat. Georgia is a team I would rather not meet up against they are improving over the last few years and have a few dangerous players in attack.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic