Phantis Forums

2022-2023 Nations League: Northern Ireland - Greece (2 June 2022, 21:45 EET, Windsor Park, Belfast)

First match in a series of four before the summer break. The other two matches will be played in September.

Let’s see who Gus Poyet will select and if he can win his first official match for the Ethniki.  

• Dutch Eagle changed the title to 2022-2023 Nations League: Northern Ireland - Greece (2 June 2022, 21:45 EET, Windsor Park, Belfast)

In 3 games in Northern Ireland, we have gone 1-2. Got swept vs them in the 2014-2015 Euro Campaign. Our market value is 123 million while theirs, 30 million. We have the clear advantage, but let's face it, we never make it easy. I see a 1-1 draw. Honestly, I'd be content with a draw cause we should be able to take care of them in Greece.

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, ausgreek said:

With Tzavellas being called up again, just call up Stafylidis as well, and be done with it.

I don’t think the defenders will be the problem. I understand, he shouldn’t be there. I agree 100 percent. But I think it’s the attack that should be focused on. You can’t win if you don’t score. And that’s a big problem. 

• Like it 4

7 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I don’t think the defenders will be the problem. I understand, he shouldn’t be there. I agree 100 percent. But I think it’s the attack that should be focused on. You can’t win if you don’t score. And that’s a big problem. 

I hope Gaffer will have the team reflecting his playing style, given he has one. If the players can carry that out then they will win more. There is a continuation of previous regimes though, for whatever reason, injuries aside. None of Manolas, Sokratis, Siovas, Fetfa, Ninis and Fortounis. There is a reluctance in desiring technically gifted and experienced players anywhere near this squad, unless you are Tzavellas and Bakasetas.

• Like it 3

Early reports saying Poyet has decided what the starting eleven will look like, no massive surprises but once again our midfield appears to be lacking. 

---------------Vlachodimos---------------

Kotsiras----Xatzidiakos--Mavropanos--Tsimikas

------Siopis----Bakasetas---Bouchalakis/Kourbelis

Douvikas------Giakoumakis-----Limnios

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ethniki-elladas-protes-dokimes-poget-me-giakoymaki-stin-koryfi-kai-provlima-me-masoyra.9650587.html

Masouras has a knock and it's touch and go if he'll be fit in time. Not sure about Douvikas on the wing but happy with the more physical Giakoumakis leading the line against what will be some physical center backs. Limnios had a terrific season numbers wise, became a starter for a top 4 team in Holland with over 8 league goals 4-5 assists, I am interested to see if he has had added any strings to his bow or is still the hard working/workman like winger he was when he left PAOK 2 years ago. 

Midfield doesn't look overly inspiring but its the best we have, I think Bouchalakis will struggle with the pace and physicality over the Northern Irish. Not that Kourbelis is super quick and I am honestly not sure what his form has been like since returning from that long term injury, but he I think can at least mix it with the Northern's physically and will throw his weight around. 

Looks unlikely at this stage Baldock will start, given he only joined up with the team a few days ago. He is probably suited to playing against these guys though, and he himself said that he has played against almost the whole NI squad throughout his years in England. 

• Like it 3

Βλαχοδήμος, Τσιμίκας, Ρότα, Μαυροπάνο, Χατζηδιάκο, Σιώπης, Μπακασέτας, Μπουχαλάκης, Λημνιός, Μάνταλο, Γιακουμάκη.

NORTHERN IRELAND

1 Peacock-Farrell(GK)

2 Bradley

5 Evans

4 Ballard

3 Lane

17 McNair

8 Davis(Captain)

6 Saville

16 McCann

9 Lavery

18 Whyte