Phantis Forums

ECL-QF-L2: PAOK - Olympique Marseille (14-04-22, 22:00 EEST)

Blackhawk

Τα παθήματα με Άγιαξ, Σάλκε και Κράσνονταρ δεν γίνανε μαθήματα.

Δεν γίνεται σε προημιτελική φάση ευρωπαϊκού κυπέλλου να χάνεις τέτοιες ευκαιρίες.
Δεν γίνεται κύριε Κρέσπο, κύριε Ίνγκασον και κύριε Πασχαλάκη να κάνετε τριγονάκια μέσα στην περιοχή μας ενώ ο αντίπαλος πιέζει τόσο ψηλά.
Δεν γίνεται κύριε Άκπομ να χάνεις την ίδια ακριβώς φάση (μια φορά εκεί, μια εδώ) που για άλλους σέντερ φόρ είναι βούτυρο στο ψωμί.
Δεν γίνεται κύριε Τσόλακ να βάζεις γκολάρες στη Σουηδία και να στέλνεις την μπάλα εκτός εστίας απο 5 μέτρα με την φανέλα του ΠΑΟΚ.
Δεν γίνεται Στρατηγέ Λούτσε μετά το 60' να είναι ακόμα μέσα ο Μπίσε ενώ σέρνεται.
Δεν γίνεται βρε παίκτες του ΠΑΟΚ, που είστε και επαγγελματίες, να χάνετε τα άχαστα.

Η πορεία αυτή θα πρέπει να είναι οδηγός για το μέλλον. Δείξαμε ότι μπορούμε να παίξουμε ομάδες όπως Μαρσέιγ στα ίσα. Πάρτε έναν τερματοφύλακα, έναν κεντρικό αμυντικό, έναν γρήγορο στα πλάγια και έναν κίλλερ φόρ επιτέλους.

I waited till after the game to post so I could digest it and not over react. However, pretty much all my feelings remain. This was a massive missed opportunity. We were insanely unlucky however!!!!!!!

CRESPO YOU HAVE MADE ME SO SAD. The wide open unmarked header he had in the first few minutes of the game, followed by his terrible ball after he moved out of position which led to their goal, as well as countless other losses of possession and missed opportunities made me want to literally cry. 

Ingason, YOUR KEEPER IS SCREAMING AT YOU TO LEAVE THE BALL, two not one but two near own goals thanks to him. 

Biseswar SO SLOW AND COMPLAINED SO MUCH HE HAS NO SPOT IN THIS TEAM

Akpom I DONT CARE HOW "AMAZING" YOUR HOLD UP PLAY WAS, YOU ARE A STRIKER YOUR JOB IS TO SCORE GOALS. The massive missed chance last leg by him as well as the countless misses by him today could have easily decided it for us. 

Tsiggaras ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS STICK A FOOT A CALF A KNEE ANYTHING ON THAT BALL AND WE WOULD HAVE A GOAL

The poor fans sang and cheered their heart out. FOR WHAT? FOR OUR TEAM TO PLAY SCARED? PLAY LIKE A BUNCH OF TERRIFIED TODDLERS AGAINST ALMOST A MARSEILLE B TEAM?????? THEY WERE PRESSING US WITH EASE WE LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF SCARED ROOKIES ARE YOU KIDDING ME

THIS WAS THE MOST FRUSTRATING WATCH OF MY LIFE

• Like it 1

We deserved to win that match no doubt, created more than enough really good chances. An early goal changes the complexion of the whole tie, take your pick Tsingaras, Akpom or Crespo in the first 15. 

Their goal comes from a mistake, Crespo ran himself into a bit of dead end he was surrounded by Marseille players pressing but perhaps he could have been a little safer rather than trying to be cute in that moment. Regardless it's harsh to blame him for the result, mistakes will happen against 'better' higher quality teams. It all comes down to missed chances and we missed plenty. 

The boys, the team, the fans and the city should be proud. We came out and really took it to them, we didn't take a backwards step and deserved at least an extra 30 mins to qualify. Toumba giving a standing ovation to the team was special, the atmosphere throughout was special. I hope the team really bottles that energy and it drives them the rest of the season. They deserve the applause they got. 

It was a great European run and one the club had been craving for a long time. On another day we are celebrating a semi-final birth.

It feels a bit empty currently, the league and even the cup semi don't seem super important at the moment. Hopefully the lads don't feel the same and are able to bounce back, especially for the Cup in a weeks time.

• Like it 3

Nice observations @paokarag4.  Overall I'm content with how the two games played out.  I really expected Marseille to bash us and was expecting an aggregate loss of 4+ goals.  We competed well for 3 out of the 4 halves of the games.  Great run overall and hopefully more to come.

Great adventures and stories of their trip to France from @Athens4 and @DunfermlineAthleticPAOK.  Thanks for the stories guys.  Much appreciated.

It's a shame we couldn't score early.  So many good chances but the boys gave it their all.  This is where if we had a better class of striker it could've change the game.  Give us a Milik and we'd win this game.  I like Akpom, the kid is a work horse but he'll never be prolific.  If had a Berg type of striker (when he was at his best) this could've been our game.  As posters have noted, Marseille were there for the taking.

Lots for the club to think about in the upcoming transfer period. Let's see which contracts get renewed (and piss off posters on this forum ha ha).  As always, it'll be difficult to attract good talent to Greece.

And lastly, El Khaddouri getting injured in the warm up, ha ha, what can you say.

• Like it 2

Yes, it was a nice adventure but this is just another example of how scared we are to take the next step.

Ajax, Schalke, Krasnodar and now Marseille. In all of these games we had enough chances to be in the driving seat and knock our opponents out. How many games like this do we need to realise that we cannot go into huge European games without a goalscorer?

• Like it 1

I don't expect major overhaul of the roster for next season. I think it will be 3 new starters max. The main thing will be to phase out the old guard (Biseswar, Vieirinha, Crespo, Paschalakis, El Kaddouri, etc.) either by not renewing them or make them accept a lesser role on the team.

• Like it 1

I agree. And spending solid money on fewer players would be just fine with me. We also usually see a younger player or two coming into their own as well - wonder who that'll be this time. Lyratzis? Someone from the B team?

• Like it 1