Phantis Forums

ECL-QF-L1: Olympique Marseille - PAOK (07-04-22, 22:00 EEST)

Blackhawk

Despite our poor 1st half I feel the Marseille goals could have been avoided if not for individual mistakes, which makes it even more frustrating.

The first goal we have Crespo not quick enough in getting up and in line with the rest of our defenders and therefore playing Gerson onside. On that goal Ingason was also probably too close to Crespo which created the massive gap which Marseille was able to pick through to score (Vieirinha may have also share some blame here) 

The 2nd goal as has been pointed out, Paschalakis turning it over but following that Ingason angrily puts it out for a corner when he had enough time to either clear it up-field on his left boot or readjust slightly and concede a throw in. Rather than lazily booting it for a corner because he was frustrated with Paschalakis previous error. 

All that considered a much improved showing in the 2nd half. We looked dangerous going forward and despite creating only 2 'clear' chances we got into plenty of dangerous areas and caused them problems. 

Marseille had chances of their own, it's going to happen they are a good team, it will happen in the 2nd leg too. All we can do is be solid defensively and give nothing cheap away, which unfortunately happened today and we payed the price.

Never the less all to play for in a weeks time, and with no game in between it gives plenty of time for rest, recovery and Lucescu to prepare the squad.

Edited by paokarag4

Got back home a couple of hours ago. I know that we were all looking forward to this away day. I am devastated to say my game day experience wasn't great.

First of all the local council in Marseille along with the police couldn't organise a piss up in brewery. We wanted to do the hour-long walk to the stadium with them either side of us. They prevented this from happening due to OM hooligans waiting for us with stones and steel bars. While I think this was a fair decision, it seems they did not have busses organised for us in advance. We waited around 90 minutes for the busses to turn up then sat/stood for another 90 minutes on the bus without going anywhere. It was like a sauna and getting hard to breathe so we then lost more time when we forced the doors open to get some air. To be fair to the police they did themselves say that the organisation was awful. I would have expected a much more coordinated plan. We were all tired and frustrated by the time we arrived at the stadium.

Once we finally got into the stadium it was like being in a war zone. The OM ultras are divided in French and Arab, with the latter having their κερκίδα next to the away supporters. The away stand has a lower and upper part. Our group was in the lower part. We were on the receiving end of D-size batteries, coins, flares, nuts and bolts - things that will certainly do a lot of damage if they hit you. Some our group were almost hit a couple of times. The managed to hit of us with a flare but thankfully it hit his cap and grazed his face. When this happened the arabs' reaction reminded me of the Sand People from Star Wars. Go to 1:18 of this video to see what I mean. They probably have the same IQ level too. They were then trying to break through the police line to get to us, which they did at one point and then had it out with some of our guys who jumped the gate to get to them. The way they just jumped into Nomansland without any backup could only mean that they were possessed with rage. I don't know any psychologically stable person who would do that. The entire game consisted of trying to watch our play, trying to sing in sync with the upper stand and looking over in the arabs' direction to check if they were throwing anything.

Around the 40th minute I did something that I have never done before which was leave while the game was still going to go get water. I have only ever done this during half time. It seemed anyone who was queuing up was also ordering for another 10 people. I say queue but we all know cattle are more orderly than Greek people. While there I missed Payet's wonder goal, which would have probably been the best goal that I had ever seen live. It gets much worse though. Another clown was trying to speak French instead of just ordering in English and kept adding things to his order, which confused the canteen staff completely. This whole ordeal took 15 minutes, which then meant that ended up missing our goal. At that point I just left and went back to the stand absolutely devastated. I have never missed a PAOK goal and it especially hurts because it was a nice goal against an opponent like OM. This was the first and last time that I leave the game while it is still ongoing.

On a more positive note, I could not have asked for better company. Scotsman is a great away day partner. Not only did I also meet some new people but I also saw PAOKia who I hadn't seen for 6+ years. We also had a really nice walk around town and lunch in the sun on Friday with some people who were meeting for the first time. I realised that is the beautiful thing about supporting a club - it is so easy to become friends with people who you have never even met before. Joints and drinks are shared without any hesitation. Stories of other away days are told, while many laughs are also had. I can definitely say that the social side of this away trip was absolutely fantastic. I also realised that I have a subconscious 'addiction' to the sound of the drum. While waiting for the busses to come we were singing some songs and one of our guys started hitting the drum. Anything I was doing or any thoughts I had became instantly irrelevant while the singing became louder along with jumping like a maniac.

Looking ahead, I think we can beat them. The first twenty minutes of the second half (although I should say 15 minutes as I missed the first 5) were enough to convince me that we can match them. Their supporters have also cancelled their trip to Thessaloniki so it will probably be only PAOK fans. We must sell out the stadium and help the team by singing as loud of possible.

I'm not going to lie - I am still pretty down about missing our goal so if anybody has any ideas to help get over it then please feel free to share. I know there are more serious things in life but this is still disappointing.

Sorry for the long post.

• Like it 4

This really sucks, but I have no remedy for you. Maybe in 30 years or so you will tell this to your beloved ones as an anecdote if you think back of the magical year 2022 when PAOK lifted the inaugural ECL-trophy!

• Like it 2

9 hours ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

Lets put it this way, would you rather miss that goal and have us shock the French and go through this week? Or see the goal and watch the boys fall in Toumba!!!!!

Of course I'd rather us go through in this scenario. It will just have to be harsh lesson. The first and last time that I leave the stand while the game in ongoing.

5 hours ago, pash said:

I think if you watched less and less of each game, we might score more goals in that "blind time."

Always knew I could count on you when I am (worryingly) down :hugs-765537:

22 hours ago, Athens4 said:

OK guys, I really need help getting over this missed goal thing. Anybody? :ill-032402:

I'll buy you a pint or two of your favorite beer when you visit Chicago again.

**I'll not even bother commenting on the way we were treated by the authorities before the game**

Phenomenal Atmosphere inside the stadium. 

Phenomenal company through out with old friendships renewed and new ones forged. 

Phenomenal away trip.  

As for the game... i feared the worst at 2-0 but it was a very good second half performance and Paschalakis puled off some unreal saves. Would have taken 2-1 before KO and would have bitten your hand off at half time.  

Gutted I'll not be there on Thursday but got the credit card and passport on ice should we get through. :praying-929024:

• Like it 4