Phantis Forums

Friendly: Montenegro-Greece (28 Mar. 2022, Podgorica Gradski Stadion, Podgorica)

Omonoia9

We need to be realistic with ourselves. I have been guilty of this too. We were blessed with not only a Euro 2004 victory, but regularity in the major tournaments in the 10 years that followed. That is not the norm for a team of our stature. It pains me to say that. Even our players that we used as subs back then such as Kone and Tachtsidis were playing in SERIE A. Samaris, while he proved to not be the guy we thought he could be, played at BENFICA. Karagounis played all over Europe top leagues. Gekas played in flippin GERMANY as did Tzavellas of all people. Samaras in the prem and the scotish league, Mitroglou in France and Portugal, Sokratis in DORTMUND. THERE WAS A TIME THAT ROMA's BACK LINE CONSISTED OF HOLEBAS, TOROSIDIS, AND MANOLAS AT THE SAME TIME. WHO DO WE HAVE RIGHT NOW????? WHO? Tsimikas, Vlach, and Giakoumakis are the only 3 players on our whole roster that would even make a 23 man roster back then if we are being honest. I pray im wrong but the talent gap between Greece of old and now seems much bigger than we all previously thought.

• Like it 3

5 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Btw, who was the Greek player that fell down and the scorer waltzed through and scored, just can't make out who that was.

I believe it was Mavropanos who stretched to cut out the pass but just couldn't quite get a boot to it. 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Friendly: Montenegro-Greece (28 Mar. 2022, Podgorica Gradski Stadion, Podgorica)