Phantis Forums

Friendly: Montenegro-Greece (28 Mar. 2022, Podgorica Gradski Stadion, Podgorica)

Omonoia9

2 minutes ago, J1078 said:

This was one of the ugliest games we’ve played.. 

Bakasetas was a main reason for it! Poyet better have the balls to start leaving him on the bench! Also Bouchalakis was terrible. 

If we start Bakasetas in the nations league and the euro qualifiers then expect the same thing to happen as last time, 2nd place in nations league and no qualification to the euros. The guy is by far the reason to our problems. Just doesn’t do anything and when he does he loses the ball or misplaces a pass…

• Like it 1

One guy doesn't make the team but he definitely doesn't help.  Bouchalakis and him did nothing for the midfield.  I also felt that Douvakis was played out of position.  Pelkas/Pavlidis didn't do much.  The back four were solid and obviously Vlacho was the best player for either team. 

It was a horrible game that lacked, structure and had no flow. It looked the team didn’t know what style they wanted to play. Bakasetas is a huge problem in that position but we need to keep it real he wasn’t the only problem. Guys were over passing the ball to wide open teammates, their was confusion on how they wanted to attack so majority of our possession came by us holding the ball from our own side of midfield with a lot back passes. The only player that played well is Vlach. Even our back end was exposed a few times and allowed the Montenegro players get behind them. Not sure it’s fair to judge this coach as every time we change a coach we take a few steps back until hes figures out who he wants to play and what style works for this team, so topping the nations league as bad as the teams are is not a guarantee due to the amount of time he will have with the players. Our back end I’m okay with but we need to figure our RB positions. Buchalakis and Siopis are not the answer for us in the midfield and Bakasetas should not be our number 10 he kills any attack. Up front should be given to Giakoumakis and the wings should be Masouras,Tzolis and Douvikas. Until we solve these problem it doesn’t matter what coach we bring in we will continue to have results like this.

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, Dean97 said:

If we start Bakasetas in the nations league and the euro qualifiers then expect the same thing to happen as last time, 2nd place in nations league and no qualification to the euros. The guy is by far the reason to our problems. Just doesn’t do anything and when he does he loses the ball or misplaces a pass…

Dean spot on! Bakesetas offered nothing, he lost the ball way to many times, made bad passes and had terrible set pieces. Its not all his fault other guys were off too but we see this same script play out time and again. The first half in Romania the team looked dangerous in attack and created many good scoring chances and the goal by Giakoumakis that should have stood. As soon as Bakesetas was introduced into the game the team just lagged and Romania took over with our disjointed play. Today with him playing the full match we created one good chance in the 67th minute!

Thankfully today it was just a friendly and not a NL or Euro qualification match so Poyet has to see he cant have Bakasetas in the starting lineup and playing in the #10 role for the NT or it will most likely end up costing him his job. 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I didn’t see the game, but I’m guessing we are blaming the 15th coach in the last 7 years instead of players lack of talent again? 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't say that! Don't you know it's all one players fault? One guy is the only reason Greece hasn't stormed into Euro '16,  '20 and World Cups '18 and '22! 

Don't give us truths that we don't want to hear! We are a top 15 nation, the reason for failures is on one player, get with the program re Jimmy

• Haha 1

You all are blaming one guy (Bakasetas), but really, who on the entire team, other than OV, showed up and played at a high level today? These issues go WAY deeper than one player (or one coach, I mean honestly). The JVS era NEVER produced a performance as ugly as the one today.

• Like it 1

7 minutes ago, trotsk13 said:

You all are blaming one guy (Bakasetas), but really, who on the entire team, other than OV, showed up and played at a high level today? These issues go WAY deeper than one player (or one coach, I mean honestly). The JVS era NEVER produced a performance as ugly as the one today.

That’s why In my previous post I had mentioned what is in my opinion the positions that need to be fixed in order for us to progress. RB, Midfield and a number 10 that can move and distribute the ball. As ugly as this performance was we can’t blame Poyet yet as he was trying to see as many players as he can in 2 games before the nations league games in June. JVS did have the team playing better then the previous coaches no doubt but to say we never had an ugly performance like this under JVS is not an accurate statement IMO. There have been a few ugly performances especially game 2 of the World Cup qualifier at home against Georgia where we did nothing and got outplayed by them and that was a game of serious significance which possibly cost us 2nd place. I was pissed about this performance today as it feels like we took another step backwards but it’s a friendly so let’s just hope Poyet seen enough of who he wants and doesn’t want starting for this team as difficult as it is in only 2 games.

Some of you guys are not understanding how damaging one player can be on the field like Bakasetas. The guy provides nothing for this team. He is no Fortounis that’s for sure. I understand that we need better midfielders than Siopis and Bouchalakis but they aren’t that bad and we haven’t got anyone better apart from Alexandropoulos who is by far our best CM. That CAM position is such an important position we can’t afford to put someone like Bakasetas there. Again he offers nothing and he’s slow. He is the main reason why we looked awful in attack. We played better in the 1st half agianst Romania without him and then he comes on for the 2nd half and we have no attack at all.

Some of you that think Bakasetas isn’t the problem you need to open your eyes and realise what your watching. Yes, there are others that are not good enough but Bakasetas is by far the reason why we struggle in attack. All our  opportunities and possible chances go to waste as soon as he touches the ball. We also have Pelkas and Mantalos who are better than him. It’s unacceptable to start him and name him captain. That’s a disgrace. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Some of you guys are not understanding how damaging one player can be on the field like Bakasetas. The guy provides nothing for this team. He is no Fortounis that’s for sure. I understand that we need better midfielders than Siopis and Bouchalakis but they aren’t that bad and we haven’t got anyone better apart from Alexandropoulos who is by far our best CM. That CAM position is such an important position we can’t afford to put someone like Bakasetas there. Again he offers nothing and he’s slow. He is the main reason why we looked awful in attack. We played better in the 1st half agianst Romania without him and then he comes on for the 2nd half and we have no attack at all.

Some of you that think Bakasetas isn’t the problem you need to open your eyes and realise what your watching. Yes, there are others that are not good enough but Bakasetas is by far the reason why we struggle in attack. All our  opportunities and possible chances go to waste as soon as he touches the ball. We also have Pelkas and Mantalos who are better than him. It’s unacceptable to start him and name him captain. That’s a disgrace. 

I’ve never liked Bakasetas he completely hinders our attack, he’s slow and he’s not an accurate passer and that’s why I mentioned we need another number 10 and a healthy Fortounis is our best option in my opinion. I think Poyet as a new coach and seeing what Bakasetas has done in Turkey owes it to himself to see what he offers (which is nothing) but a hard shot. Now that he’s watched him two games hopefully that’s enough it to see he doesn’t cut it. So for me I’ll give Poyet a pass in this friendly, now if he starts him and makes him captain when the campaign begins in June then that’s a problem. But we still need to address the other positions of need as well. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually don’t think bakasetas is our worst player, for me Bouchalakis really feels like dead weight. 8/10 forward pases he makes result in turnovers.. and that’s a lot for a CDM/CM.

our best 10 is fortounis but always injured. None of the strikers have had a proper chance to showcase anything because they have never been put in a position to score.

since we do not have a CAM, I think we should rely on the wingers and crosses from the likes of tsimikas and just get a tall CF who can header them in. Until we find the proper CAM that is..

A truly horrific performance I wasn't expecting... personally, Bakasetas and Bouchalakis in the midfield does us no favours, they are far too slow and teams out run them as we saw in the previous two qualification campaigns.

Upfront clearly Giakoumakis needs to start in the main games. Our strong defence is now a fairy tale, we get broken up very easily.

Let's just hope Poyet learns from this game

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Going forward, it sounds like the gaffer should play Pelkas at no.10 (give Fortounis a chance to string afew good performances together at club level), Saliakas at RB, and Alexandropoulos as CM? Sounds good.

Btw, who was the Greek player that fell down and the scorer waltzed through and scored, just can't make out who that was.

Edited by ausgreek

• Lazarus changed the title to Friendly: Montenegro-Greece (28 Mar. 2022, Podgorica Gradski Stadion, Podgorica)