Phantis Forums

ECL-PO-L2: FC PAOK - FC Midtjylland (24-02-22, 22:00 EET)

Blackhawk

PAOK.jpg.ca07001feadb6df87300740aa75bc8c1.jpg  VS     Mydtjylland.jpg.b829d0c3459aa9d68415a07ac0559f6e.jpg

MATCHUP:               PAOK Thessaloniki FC – FC Midtjylland
COMPETITION:     Europa Conference League – Play-offs – Leg 2
DATE:                     24-February-2022
TIME:                     22:00 EET (20:00 UTC, 14:00 CST, 07:00 AEDT next day)
CITY/STADIUM:   Thessaloniki – Toumba Stadium Stadium (28,708)
REFEREES:            
TELEVISION:        COSMOTE Sport (Greece), Cytavision Sports (Cyprus), Stan Sports (Australia), Paramount+, TUDN.com (USA)

PAOK’s History against teams from Denmark in European Competitions

2021-2022:  FC Midtjylland – PAOK FC  1:0 – Att: 7,088 – Europa Conference League (Play-offs –Leg 1)

2021-2022:  PAOK FC - FC Copenhagen  1:2 – (8. Zivkovic) – Att: 11,166 – Europa Conference League (Group Stage – Round 4)
2021-2022:  FC Copenhagen – PAOK FC  1:2 – (19. Sidcley, 38. Zivkovic A.) – Att: 19,552 – Europa Conference League (Group Stage – Round 3)

2015-2016:  Brondby IF – PAOK FC  1:1 – (21. Costa) – Att: 6,630 – Europa League (Qualifying Round 4 – Leg 2)
2015-2016:  PAOK FC – Brondby IF  5:0 – (17. Mak, 36. Pelkas, 51. Rodrigues, 80. Mak, 82. Mak) – Att: 20,106 – Europa League (Qualifying Round 4 – Leg 1)

1977-1978:  PAOK FC – Vejle BK   2:1 – (22. Orfanos, 79. Kermanidis) – Att: 19,000 – Cup Winners Cup (Round 2 – Leg 2)
1977-1978:  Vejle BK – PAOK FC   3:0 - Att: 18,500 – Cup Winners Cup (Round 2 – Leg 1)

GAMES:  7   WINS:  3   TIES:  1   LOSSES:  3

• Blackhawk changed the title to ECL-PO-L2: FC PAOK - FC Mydtjylland (24-02-22, 22:00 EET)

Calling it now lads, Colak to score a late goal to send this one to extra time!

We need to find a way to work through their press, it gave us plenty of problems in the first leg and generally this season we do struggle against teams that press well. Not sure whether Kurtic returning will help, he is prone to an error or 2 on the ball. 

I can see Lucescu keeping it tight for the first half and then throwing more caution to the wind as the 2nd half wears on. He is not the type of coach to come out all guns blazing from the first minute, I think his approach will be if we get a goal early great. But he's not gonna have us come out throwing numbers forward, at least not in the first 45. 

Whether you agree or not with that is a matter for a philosophical coaching debate, obviously the earlier we score the easier it will be.

IMO I think there's something to be said for pushing early (first 15-20) and then seeing where you are at scoreboard wise. If you've managed to score in that time great! If they have scored on the counter well then you have 70 or so minutes to chase 2 goals. 

Edited by paokarag4

Chances of Colak scoring are increasing as Akpom is injured and not available. Murg is also ruled out.

The squad that must achieve our first ever progress after the winterbreak:

Πασχαλάκης , Ζίβκοβιτς , Ταλιχμανίδης , Τέιλορ , Λύρατζης , Μιχάι , Ίνγκασον , Κρέσπο , Μιχαηλίδης , Βιεϊρίνια , Σίντκλεϊ , Γιαξής, Τσιγγάρας , Σβαμπ , Κούρτιτς , Ντούγκλας , Ελ Καντουρί , Σοάρες , Μπίσεσβαρ , Μιτρίτσα , Α.Ζίβκοβιτς , Τσόλακ , Κούτσιας .

Here is a chance for Colak to prove that he can score outside of Croatia and Sweden. 

Lucescu is leaning towards starting with Ingason and Crespo as CB's. I would have gone with Michailidis instead of Crespo.

Knowing Lucescu, he will start Biseswar. Not sure if he can be very effective playing non-stop full 90 minute games without any brakes.

It will be an interesting game, which I think will go down to the wire. We just need to find a way to score goals.

7 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Lucescu is leaning towards starting with Ingason and Crespo as CB's. I would have gone with Michailidis instead of Crespo.

Going to have to disagree with you, Ziaka. I think Michailidis (like others out there) is a liability.

As for the game, we know we can expect high pressing from them during the first half. We just need to keep it tight at the back and counter-attack. If we haven't scored in the first half then our lives will be harder as we will open up in the second and leave our already awful defence exposed to their wingers.

To think that all we had to do was beat that shite team from Bratislava and just draw against Copenhagen at home and we would not be in this mess. We would instead be waiting for our opponent in March.

I'm fine with Biseswar running himself into the ground in the first half if that's what it takes to get a goal. I don't think anyone is expecting a full 90 minutes out of him. Though I guess putting him in early against fresh people will degrade his effectiveness even faster...

• Blackhawk changed the title to ECL-PO-L2: FC PAOK - FC Midtjylland (24-02-22, 22:00 EET)