Phantis Forums

2022-2023 Nations League

Dutch Eagle

58 minutes ago, Dutch Eagle said:

Best group: NI, Lithuania and Gibraltar.

Unlucky draw: Turkey, Kosovo and Kazachstan/Cyprus.

I mentioned this before but i don't want the weakest draw. I want the best teams out of this group, If we cant top any group in group C then we don't deserve to go to any tournament.  Plus playing Turkey would really Push this team and prepare us for a tougher euro qualifier campaign.

• Like it 2

I want Turkey it will motivate the team playing a rival! As for the rest I hope its Kosovo and Faroes. 

The new coach will show JVS 6 out of 6 points vs Kosovo something he failed to do on two occasions!!

Faroes will get theirs too as they should have in 2016 Euro qualifying.

PA ME ELLADARA!!

• Like it 2

10 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I don’t think this group is difficult at all to be completely honest and if we don’t top this group it’s embarrassing.

For sure @J1078look at one League A group that consists of Italy, Germany, England & Hungary. Greece have to get up to league B and play some tougher opponents. 
In the glory days we would have been fighting it out with the heavyweights of Europe.

• Like it 1

God Kosovo again we've played them 4 times for 1 win and 3 draws, I'd be expecting at least one more draw. 

I really don't think this will be straight forward, Northern Ireland will be tough. They aren't a big name but UK teams always run hard and are highly physical, something Greece don't excel in. They also had a similar record to us in WC qualifying, finishing with 9 points in a group that contained Italy and Switzerland (comparable to Spain and Sweden) and Bulgaria (comparable if not better than Kosovo/Georgia) and of course we know about our poor recent performances against Kosovo.

Topping the group is the goal, but it's going to be tough and we'll need to be at our best. 

Format is interesting, first 4 games will be played between June 2-14th. It will serve as a mini-tournament, in terms of the team being together for a few weeks and having 4 games so close together. Good opportunity for the team gel and show us some good football. Of course we need a coach first..... 

Schedule:

2/6/2022 Βόρεια Ιρλανδία-Ελλάδα

5/6/2022 Κόσοβο-Ελλάδα

9/6/2022 Ελλάδα-Κύπρος ή Εσθονία

12/6/2022 Ελλάδα-Κόσοβο

24/9/2022 Κύπρος ή Εσθονία – Ελλάδα

27/9/2022 Ελλάδα-Βόρεια Ιρλανδία

Όλοι οι αγώνες είναι προγραμματισμένοι να διεξαχθούν στις 21:45

13 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

God Kosovo again we've played them 4 times for 1 win and 3 draws, I'd be expecting at least one more draw. 

I really don't think this will be straight forward, Northern Ireland will be tough. They aren't a big name but UK teams always run hard and are highly physical, something Greece don't excel in. They also had a similar record to us in WC qualifying, finishing with 9 points in a group that contained Italy and Switzerland (comparable to Spain and Sweden) and Bulgaria (comparable if not better than Kosovo/Georgia) and of course we know about our poor recent performances against Kosovo.

Topping the group is the goal, but it's going to be tough and we'll need to be at our best. 

Format is interesting, first 4 games will be played between June 2-14th. It will serve as a mini-tournament, in terms of the team being together for a few weeks and having 4 games so close together. Good opportunity for the team gel and show us some good football. Of course we need a coach first..... 

I get what you are saying but lets be real for a second, If we can't win this group then what are we going to do in the euro qualifiers which will have two better teams in our group? or how did we really think we had a chance to make  2nd in the in world cup qualifier that just ended. If we are going to be scared of the kosovos and NI then this team has no hope. So for me it comes down to this, if we don't win this group then we have taken no steps forward at all the last year and we are right back to the days losing to the faroe Islands. The team and the young guys have now had a few campaigns to play and gel together so there are no more excuses IMO... Now a lot may depend on the coach we get ad his style of play and players he selects.

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

I get what you are saying but lets be real for a second, If we can't win this group then what are we going to do in the euro qualifiers which will have two better teams in our group? or how did we really think we had a chance to make  2nd in the in world cup qualifier that just ended. If we are going to be scared of the kosovos and NI then this team has no hope. So for me it comes down to this, if we don't win this group then we have taken no steps forward at all the last year and we are right back to the days losing to the faroe Islands. The team and the young guys have now had a few campaigns to play and gel together so there are no more excuses IMO... Now a lot may depend on the coach we get ad his style of play and players he selects.

I think a lot of people are confusing what we should do and what we will do based off our recent skid. We have been EXPECTING better results for the past few years now but they haven’t come. Here and there we may get a draw vs a good team but then next game we will struggle w/ minnows. I think what we need is consistency. I don’t think anyone is asking us to be beating the England’s and Portugal’s. But I agree we should be beating the Kosovo’s and Cyprus’ more often than not. What @paokarag4 is saying , I believe, is that based off our recent performances, it’s not going to be easy. Northern Ireland’s style of play will give us trouble. However they are in the same boat as us, they tied Switzerland and Italy but lost to Bulgaria and struggled to get by Estonia. To expect us to come out and win all 6 I think is hoping for too much. Vs the pot 4 team we should get 6 points, vs Kosovo we should get 6 but I can realistically see 4. Vs Northern Ireland I’m hoping for 4 but can see 3. You add those points up, I’ll be happy w/ 14 points. Last rendition of the Nations League, 14 points would win every group while 12 would win most.

• Like it 1

9 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

I think a lot of people are confusing what we should do and what we will do based off our recent skid. We have been EXPECTING better results for the past few years now but they haven’t come. Here and there we may get a draw vs a good team but then next game we will struggle w/ minnows. I think what we need is consistency. I don’t think anyone is asking us to be beating the England’s and Portugal’s. But I agree we should be beating the Kosovo’s and Cyprus’ more often than not. What @paokarag4 is saying , I believe, is that based off our recent performances, it’s not going to be easy. Northern Ireland’s style of play will give us trouble. However they are in the same boat as us, they tied Switzerland and Italy but lost to Bulgaria and struggled to get by Estonia. To expect us to come out and win all 6 I think is hoping for too much. Vs the pot 4 team we should get 6 points, vs Kosovo we should get 6 but I can realistically see 4. Vs Northern Ireland I’m hoping for 4 but can see 3. You add those points up, I’ll be happy w/ 14 points. Last rendition of the Nations League, 14 points would win every group while 12 would win most.

Yes N Ireland will not be an easy away fixture so a draw there would be a good result and then beat them in Greece and we should get the top spot. 

Does anyone know if winning the NL group means you get a playoff spot for the Euros if needed?

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

Yes N Ireland will not be an easy away fixture so a draw there would be a good result and then beat them in Greece and we should get the top spot. 

Does anyone know if winning the NL group means you get a playoff spot for the Euros if needed?

I believe it’s the same set up as last Euro so yes.

• Like it 1

12 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

UEFA just announced that starting in 2024, South American countries will be joining the UEFA nations league. Imagine we get drawn with BRAZIL …

That is awesome. They came together against FIFAs proposal of holding a wcup every 2 years.

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic