Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Spain (11 Nov. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

5 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

You bring sokratis, manolas and siovas back to get you to euro 2024. If they do make it, they’re going to want to reap the rewards and play in the tournament in their mid 30s. The epo will reward them and feel obligated to bring them. That would create another 1994 fiasco. 

TBH it would be great to be in a position where we can actually make a fiasco out of a big tournament. ATM we are nowhere near it.

It's not easy making a WC. There are 13 favorites to qualify out of Europe, i.e. Spain, Italy, Belgium, France, England, Germany, Denmark, Portugal, Switzerland, Russia, Croatia, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland.

If you think about it, there are 3, maybe 4 spots from Europe which are being fought by 12-16 nations. As much as it hurts, to miss out again, the best we could have achieved is finish 2nd in the Group and extended the campaign to playoffs. Still a lot of improvement is needed, and it's small steps for now. Greece NT can make it to Euro 2024 in Germany where chance to qualify will be better.

Our next goal must be to top our NL Group, and get promoted to League B, and continue to improve our FIFA ranking. NL 2022 starts in Jun 2022.

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, Greek Style said:

Don't me started on Fortounis I mean WTF how is this guy not playing? Manolas? JVS should be on his knees begging these guys to come back after he didn't want to play them.

Nope, JVS has Mavropanos to bring through now, alongside Tzavellas. To bring those CB's back, EPO would have to change the gaffer.

Fortounis has an ACL injury, return at best, mid 2022; JVS has Bakasetas as his CAM and captain as it stands anyway.

Manolas and Sokratis are welcome back but they ain't interested with current gaffer.

Not sure Siovas is welcome back. 

Edited by ausgreek

On 11/13/2021 at 1:54 AM, Dean97 said:

The way it should be is if the team doesn’t make a major tournament then you find a different coach. We should be employing different coaches every time, until we reach a tournament. Then you stick with that coach. Can’t be continuing on with someone that can’t get the job done. It’s that simple. 

There are rumours that we are looking at Valverde. Hopefully it’s true. EPO need to wake up and stop bringing in low level coaches as it wastes money and time. They need to bring in someone that is of higher quality.

Valverde was the coach Zagorakis wanted, when he didn't get him, he resigned.  I think we will give JVS another contract, for better or worse.

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

It's not easy making a WC. There are 13 favorites to qualify out of Europe, i.e. Spain, Italy, Belgium, France, England, Germany, Denmark, Portugal, Switzerland, Russia, Croatia, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland.

If you think about it, there are 3, maybe 4 spots from Europe which are being fought by 12-16 nations. As much as it hurts, to miss out again, the best we could have achieved is finish 2nd in the Group and extended the campaign to playoffs. Still a lot of improvement is needed, and it's small steps for now. Greece NT can make it to Euro 2024 in Germany where chance to qualify will be better.

Our next goal must be to top our NL Group, and get promoted to League B, and continue to improve our FIFA ranking. NL 2022 starts in Jun 2022.

Draw for the NL is in one month. Also, Turkey is in pot one for C. Imagine if we get them..

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

For sure its extremely difficult in Europe the hardest region to make the World Cup, this is not CONCACAF as you said only 13 spots for so many top countries in world football. Europe needs to have more spots at the World Cup take a few away from some of the other associations.

• Like it 1

13 hours ago, Greek Style said:

We are good enough to easily account for the Georgias and Kosovos of Europe and he failed to get a result when it really mattered against these two. And his choice of tactics was rubbish, fancy playing careful defensive football against those two teams, when you're playing at home in a must win game? Even against Spain we needed to win FFS so when we went 1-0 he changed nothing! NOTHING! Are you kidding me JVS for what reason would you not got for the win? Worst vase scenario we go down fighting and lose 3-0 or 4-1.

To me he's clearly been protecting his job, too scared to take the risks required for reward.

For sure we should have came out and took the game to Georgia and we had the chance to finish off Kosovo but JVS sat back in the 2nd half and invited Kosovo to get the equalizer which they did. 1st game of the qualification at Spain a game we were expected to get beaten Greece defended admirably and got a result job well done a huge bonus point only problem is we come back and draw at home vs Georgia and throw away 2pts The other day as you said we needed a win vs Spain our World Cup comes down to this and JVS could have had us more on the front foot but it looked like he was going for a draw and when we went down by a BS penalty he did not want us to attack and keep the ball at our feet. It looked like he just wanted to keep the score line respectable. Why did he sub off Masouras? He made a great run and fired in a beautiful goal that was ruled offside he is one of our most in form players and he gets pulled? Just baffling..

On 11/14/2021 at 11:57 AM, Ellada2004 said:

For sure we should have came out and took the game to Georgia and we had the chance to finish off Kosovo but JVS sat back in the 2nd half and invited Kosovo to get the equalizer which they did. 1st game of the qualification at Spain a game we were expected to get beaten Greece defended admirably and got a result job well done a huge bonus point only problem is we come back and draw at home vs Georgia and throw away 2pts The other day as you said we needed a win vs Spain our World Cup comes down to this and JVS could have had us more on the front foot but it looked like he was going for a draw and when we went down by a BS penalty he did not want us to attack and keep the ball at our feet. It looked like he just wanted to keep the score line respectable. Why did he sub off Masouras? He made a great run and fired in a beautiful goal that was ruled offside he is one of our most in form players and he gets pulled? Just baffling..

Just cause we need a win doesn’t mean a team should play all out. If we opened it up from the beginning Spain would have torn us apart. You can’t say “Eff it” and just attack cause then we will be open to get countered on every time we lost the ball. Contrary to belief, we don’t have any attacking stars that scare people, who can possess the ball under pressure. His strategy coming in was to keep it 0-0 until HT , maybe get a set piece goal or a counter goal. I totally agree with that gameplan. 

However, I do have to agree with you. At 0-1 I would have thrown the kitchen sink because what’s the difference between a 0-3 and a 0-1 . Nothing. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Just cause we need a win doesn’t mean a team should play all out. If we opened it up from the beginning Spain would have torn us apart. You can’t say “Eff it” and just attack cause then we will be open to get countered on every time we lost the ball. Contrary to belief, we don’t have any attacking stars that scare people, who can possess the ball under pressure. His strategy coming in was to keep it 0-0 until HT , maybe get a set piece goal or a counter goal. I totally agree with that gameplan. 

However, I do have to agree with you. At 0-1 I would have thrown the kitchen sink because what’s the difference between a 0-3 and a 0-1 . Nothing. 

Agree with you, when we went down of a crap penalty call we should have looked to try and attack more but we kept giving the ball right back to Spain once we got it from them. To start the second half JVS subbed of Masouras our most dangerous player. JVS just looked like he was content with losing 1 nil instead of going all out to win the game.

• Like it 1