Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Spain (11 Nov. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

1 minute ago, Brklyngrk said:

The announcers are still trying to figure it out...

Although not a good angle, on the only replay shown so far you see Giannoulis wildly swing at the bouncing ball to clear he misses and lightly catches the Spain player. It was soft but it's giveable, if the ref doesn't give it I'm not sure if VAR intervenes. Either way still waiting for a better angle. 

2 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

Wondering why they didn’t go to VAR for the goal but go for the penalty? When there was no contact nonetheless 

Every goal/Pen is checked by VAR, just because they didn't show the lines being drawn doesn't mean it wasn't. I thought he looked clearly off to the naked eye, so I'm not surprised it was a quick decision. 

Just now, paokarag4 said:

Although not a good angle, on the only replay shown so far you see Giannoulis wildly swing at the bouncing ball to clear he misses and lightly catches the Spain player. It was soft but it's giveable, if the ref doesn't give it I'm not sure if VAR intervenes. Either way still waiting for a better angle. 

But also before that, the Spain player uses a Greek’s back to launch higher . Has his hands all over him. I thought VAR can check to see if a foul leads to a goal