Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Spain (11 Nov. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

8 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Let’s see what JVS does… have a bad feeling he will start Stafylidis in central defence which of course would be a disaster 

Stafy going up against Spain's talented forwards? No thanks JVS! This game we will need to be at our absolute best for 90 minutes. We cant giveaway any cheap goals like we did against Sweden. When is JVS making the call ups?

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Easy win for Spain. We are not going to get any gifts (penalty) like we did in the game in Spain.

Spain are the clear favorite but if they show up and play like they did in their loss at Sweden then Greece have a good chance to get a win. 

Chatzidiakos and Bakasetas are suspended, it also seems like Mavropanos picked up an injury while playing for Stuttgart. Not sure how serious but he didn't play over the weekend for them. Our defence is going to be stretched. 

The outs open the door for Tzavellas, K.Paps and Mantalos to return to the starting XI. I fear we are looking at either Stafylidis/Tsimikas as the third center back, especially with Mavropanos potentially missing. 

As for the game itself, this one isn't rocket science. We need to defend compact and well, give nothing silly away and look to break when we get the chance. Spain boss the ball like no other national team in the world, so we are most likely looking at getting 2-3 chances a half to counter. So when these rare instances occur we are going to need execute and be perfect. 

It's a tough tough game, but we have to play it. You go and give 110% and you never know what can happen.

Edited by paokarag4

On 11/2/2021 at 1:37 AM, Alphonse said:

Mavropanos has just been confirmed out of commission for these matches…

Crap! Every time we have a qualifier and vs a tough opponent like Spain we have our key players miss out..

1 hour ago, paokarag4 said:

Call-ups for the 2 final qualifiers. Surprised to see no Kyriakos Papadopoulos given he has become a regular in the squads over the last year or so. A few changes from last month. 

No K Pap and no Stafilidis? Surprising. It hurts Greece do not have Mavropanos. I wonder if Spain are missing any of their best players? Anyways lets GO GREECE we need 2 wins!!

Luis Enrique released his squad. Ansu Fati has been recalled. 

Due to injury Spain will be without midfielders Pedri Gonzalez and Marcos Llorente. They will also be without forward Ferran Torres and striker Mikel Oryazabal. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering our line up is missing some players and we know this is also a must win for Spain I don’t really see how we can pull this one off. Let’s say by some miracle we pull it off and win it still won’t mean much I don’t think as far as us finishing 2nd as Sweden will easily beat Georgia which will guarantee they finish first so that last game Sweden play against Spain in Spain looks more and more like a Spanish victory. Our campaign was lost with the dropped points to Kosovo and Georgia unfortunately. We need an absolute Miracle to pull this off. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Considering our line up is missing some players and we know this is also a must win for Spain I don’t really see how we can pull this one off. Let’s say by some miracle we pull it off and win it still won’t mean much I don’t think as far as us finishing 2nd as Sweden will easily beat Georgia which will guarantee they finish first so that last game Sweden play against Spain in Spain looks more and more like a Spanish victory. Our campaign was lost with the dropped points to Kosovo and Georgia unfortunately. We need an absolute Miracle to pull this off. 

You make good points if we had beaten Georgia & Kosovo we would be on 13pts and in great position for 2nd spot. It also sucks that Spain & Sweden play the last game vs each other. I wish they would have played earlier on. We have to hope that Georgia at least get a draw vs Sweden and that will make Sweden play for a result. Georgia seem to get results in their final qualifiers over the past few campaigns. So let’s hope they play hard.

As for Greece I can see us battling Spain hard as we always do vs the top countries. If we end up winning the next 2 matches but fall short of second place it will be due to the lost points to Kosovo & Georgia which will be really tough to take..

• Like it 1

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Georgia take points off Sweden, I have a feeling they will. Sweden have ridden their luck against us and Spain, Georgia similarly have been unlucky against the same teams. Luck has to swing eventually doesn't it? 

Of course it's all moot if we can't pull off what would be a historic victory. 

• Like it 2

6 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Georgia take points off Sweden, I have a feeling they will. Sweden have ridden their luck against us and Spain, Georgia similarly have been unlucky against the same teams. Luck has to swing eventually doesn't it? 

Of course it's all moot if we can't pull off what would be a historic victory. 

Sweden for sure got lucky vs Greece as JVS himself said post game to their reporter..

They also deserved to lose our drop points in the first game to of qualifying to Georgia as they were outplayed. Olsen saved them a few goals against. Even at home to Kosovo they did win 3 nil but they had multiple calls go there way when the game was close. Sweden are fortunate to not be sitting on 10 or 11 points.  

The boys will fight hard in this game at home. They will be up for playing one of the best teams in World football. Spain will knock the ball around the pitch we just have to be patient and hit them on the counter. I can see Greece getting 1 goal in this one. It will be tough hopefully we can squeeze out a win and make the final day of qualifying very interesting.

GO HELLAS!!!

• Like it 1