Phantis Forums

EL: Eintracht Frankfurt - Olympiacos (21 Oct. 2021, Deutsche Bank Park, Frankfurt)

Omonoia9

6 minutes ago, Antaeus7 said:

3-1 final 

Frankfurt now leads the group with 7 points, Olympiakos falls to second with 6 points. 

Question : 

What happens when a team finishes 2nd in the group? I know the rules changed, I just forgot. 

I think we'd still be ok

Tough game for OLY they could not get into any positive rythym. The Eintracht goal before the half was a tough one to give up.  A lot of players had an off day, I would say on Bouchalakis put in a good performance. I hope OLY can rebound at home next matchday and go top of the group.

2 hours ago, Omonoia9 said:

I think we'd still be ok

You know the knockout stage in the Europa League starts with the round of 16, not 32. I think the second place teams have to play a two legged playoffs against 8 teams from the Conference League? 

• Like it 1

7 minutes ago, Antaeus7 said:

You know the knockout stage in the Europa League starts with the round of 16, not 32. I think the second place teams have to play a two legged playoffs against 8 teams from the Conference League? 

Runners up in the Europa League will play a 'preliminary' knockout round match (basically a round of 32 match) against a 3rd placed Champions League team. Group winners will go straight into the round of 16 and avoid a round of matches.

Same applies for the Conference League, runners up play 3rd placed teams from the Europa League, while group winners qualify straight for the round of 16. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Runners up in the Europa League will play a 'preliminary' knockout round match (basically a round of 32 match) against a 3rd placed Champions League team. Group winners will go straight into the round of 16 and avoid a round of matches.

Same applies for the Conference League, runners up play 3rd placed teams from the Europa League, while group winners qualify straight for the round of 16. 

So pretty much the same as it always was, except the quality of the Round of 32 opponent has gone up.

• Lazarus changed the title to EL: Eintracht Frankfurt - Olympiacos (21 Oct. 2021, Deutsche Bank Park, Frankfurt)