Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Sweden - Greece (12 Oct. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Friends Arena, Solna)

Dutch Eagle

25 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Reporter asked JVS that Chivas in Mexico are interested in his services and if he would leave before next months games. He said he coached there before and its just a rumor and that he still wants to stay on even after his contract expires. I can feel the disappointment in his voice. I also liked when he stuck it to one of the Swedish reporter saying today Sweden absolutely got lucky lol.. after some back in forth with the game we won 2-1 were JVS claimed Swedish media said Greece were 'lucky' after the win. 

• Like it 3

3 hours ago, nasl said:

Sorry i disagree.

we do not have the luxury of not having even one of our top players not being on the field.

like Manolas.  No better center back in greece.

Skibbe was a better coach than this one.

We need a new coach who can handle all personalities .

$25.30m

Last update: Jun 3, 2021

I agree 100%. If we want the best for the team then we need to play the best players possible. I’m sick of past coaches playing limited players. Santos did it with Vyntra and Katsouranis. Skibbe did it with Tziolis and Tzavellas and now JVS is doing it with Bakasetas and Stafylidis. I don’t think Skibbe is better. They are propably level. But I appreciate JVS in trusting some of our youth. I have mixed feelings. I don’t know if he should stay or go. If he goes then we’ll propably get someone similar to him. If he stays then who knows what will happen. Will he learn from his mistakes? He didn’t learn from the nations league. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I agree 100%. If we want the best for the team then we need to play the best players possible. I’m sick of past coaches playing limited players. Santos did it with Vyntra and Katsouranis. Skibbe did it with Tziolis and Tzavellas and now JVS is doing it with Bakasetas and Stafylidis. I don’t think Skibbe is better. They are propably level. But I appreciate JVS in trusting some of our youth. I have mixed feelings. I don’t know if he should stay or go. If he goes then we’ll propably get someone similar to him. If he stays then who knows what will happen. Will he learn from his mistakes? He didn’t learn from the nations league. 

JVS should not stay there going forward because I for one would like to see Manolas, Sokratis and Fortounis there again. Also squad management during games can improve. Some fresh ideas going into future campaigns.

A new coach will not guarentee better results, although, trying a different approach might help things along.  

Edited by ausgreek

5 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Bakasetas was not the problem. He was one of the main reasons we even had a shot 

Guys I remember way back when the draw was made and a lot of people were saying its going to be to tough to get second over Sweden. With Spain and their class it is one of the toughest groups we could have landed in. Sweden as I said are tough side with experience something we lack by not having Manolas, Sokratis and Siovas included was probably what contributed to our downfall along with not being able to finish but when we look at it Sweden were extremely lucky to get 3 points of us even in Stockholm were we went and basically outclassed them for most the match and they were sitting back defending for their lives for the first 55 minutes. In the end its going to come down to losing points to Georgia and Kosovo (where we lead until the 93rd minute).

2nd place was ours for the taking in this group and dare I say we could have had a chance for 1st place over both Spain & Sweden. We dropped points to Georgia but Sweden barely held on vs Georgia early in the campaign and Spain needed a 94th minute wonder goal from Olmo from 30 meters out to beat Georgia. So Georgia gave all the top teams in the group a tough time. 

It sucks that this loss to Sweden was Greece first competitive loss since losing in 2020 euro qualifying at Italy a match that we outplayed Italy until we gave up a penalty in the second half like yesterday. 

Still thinking back to the game I do not want to jump all over JVS because it was a mental mistake that cost us the game but why was his first sub Masouras the player that was causing Sweden's backline havoc? Why did he not pull Pavlidis out earlier for Douvikas? Pavlidis has been a decent player but he needs to be putting away that header from in close yesterday. 

Anyways its still hard to take this defeat when Greece played the best half plus of football in years vs a tough Sweden team as many others here have said as well.

13 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Good points Dean. JVS has given the youth an opportunity so I give him credit there but why does he change what works in terms of lineups and tactics in games were the Ethniki is successful like in the friendlies or vs Sweden in Greece and against inferior opponents he sits back like Slovenia in NL, Kosovo and Georgia and the team fails. This is the biggest problem along with excluding our experienced players and a top class CB like Manolas who we dam well needed yesterday along with Siovas and Sokratis who is nearing the end of his career but can still contribute. 

As for Skibbe all I can say is he did manage to get us to World Cup playoff were ultimately we lost to Croatia who made the finals of 2018 World Cup so no shame there.

47 minutes ago, Greek Style said:

Manolas, Socratis, Fortounis, Samaris. These are the best Greek players. They make up over 33% of the 11. Yet none are playing.

Samaris doesn't have a team, before being let go for free by Benfica he basically hadn't played at all last season. Not to mention he's always been bang average to poor for the Ethniki. Fortounis is injured, so unless we roll him out on his crutches probably couldn't have played. 

Won't deny Sokratis and Manolas would've helped during this campaign, they have had off-field issues with management that has unfortunately ended their NT careers as long as JVS is at the wheel. But half the guys you mentioned it's not feasible for them to be playing currently.

Samaris is done with the NT, he needs to find a club and he wasn't able to find one over the summer, clearly his career is winding down. 

Stick to AFL re, Blues for the flag next year Cerra to win the Brownlow. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Samaris doesn't have a team, before being let go for free by Benfica he basically hadn't played at all last season. Not to mention he's always been bang average to poor for the Ethniki. Fortounis is injured, so unless we roll him out on his crutches probably couldn't have played. 

Won't deny Sokratis and Manolas would've helped during this campaign, they have had off-field issues with management that has unfortunately ended their NT careers as long as JVS is at the wheel. But half the guys you mentioned it's not feasible for them to be playing currently.

Samaris is done with the NT, he needs to find a club and he wasn't able to find one over the summer, clearly his career is winding down. 

Stick to AFL re, Blues for the flag next year Cerra to win the Brownlow. 

Surprised Fetfazidis’ name wasn’t brought up along with Ninis 😂

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic