Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Sweden - Greece (12 Oct. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Friends Arena, Solna)

Dutch Eagle

A win for Greece would be huge and put them in a better position for qualification. 
A draw will make things hard, but not mathematically eliminated. Then, the home game to Spain is a do-or-die. 
A loss will pretty much kill off our chances to go to Qatar. 

11 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

A win versus Sweden would put the countries level on points but Sweden would still be ahead in the standings I believe. World Cup qualifiers has the first tie breaker at goal difference, not head-to-head results which would screw us.

Just win all their games and there will be nothing to worry about. 

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

A win versus Sweden would put the countries level on points but Sweden would still be ahead in the standings I believe. World Cup qualifiers has the first tie breaker at goal difference, not head-to-head results which would screw us.

If we win out we go through. Plus I’ll take being tied with them on points on the last day when Sweden play in Spain and we host Kosovo

• Like it 1

15 minutes ago, PaokCT said:

If we win out we go through. Plus I’ll take being tied with them on points on the last day when Sweden play in Spain and we host Kosovo

Also right now they’re a plus 7. We’re a plus 3. We win 0 2 were both plus 5

• Like it 1

Sweden are clearly the favorites in this game and I believe they will win. They just have a better team then us. However as we have seen in the past anything can happen. Our player will have to go out and give it their all for the win.

• Like it 1

On 10/9/2021 at 4:30 PM, Blackhawk said:

Sweden are clearly the favorites in this game and I believe they will win. They just have a better team then us. However as we have seen in the past anything can happen. Our player will have to go out and give it their all for the win.

I believe our players will rise to the challenge! It will be a cagey match for sure. The team looks to have a great togetherness and was evident when Bakasetas lifted Zeca jersey after his goal. Greece are missing some talented skilled players like Fortounis, Manolas, Siovas, and Sokratis but they are fighting hard in a tough group. Let’s GO ELLAS!!

• Like it 1

I waited long to see the results of the effort. Havent posted since be fore the match vs Spain. Team is really growing better and better mentally. We are not good at winning all the time (Kosovo and Georgia wins would have us top spot in the Group tied with Spain and above Sweden.

I like the effort regardless of the result of the campaign. We need to accept the fact that winning Sweden in our current state is an unexpected excellent result, same as the draw vs Spain in the Summer. Even if we dont win Sweden we ve been as competitive and good at the offensive part as we ve not been since 2014 and before. Mediocre players with a good plan is my take.

• Like it 1

It's unlikely we see a change in formation, I don't think JVS will go away from the shape that has given us 2 wins in our last 2 games. The only change I can see is Stafylidis for the suspended Tzavellas, which is a little concerning but hopefully with 2 other CB's next to him he'll be okay. 

We could also see a change to the attacking duo, Douvikas maybe to partner Pavlidis again? But I think he'll stick with Masouras playing off Pavlidis. 

The Swedes are a good team, especially up front. Plenty of firepower from their wingers and strikers. They will get chances as they did in Greece, we need our defence to have a big game and similarly Vlachodimos to have a good game.

It's nice to be in the qualification picture this late in proceedings, no matter the result we are still mathematically alive going into the final 2 games. Let's how we go. 

• Like it 3

17 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

It's unlikely we see a change in formation, I don't think JVS will go away from the shape that has given us 2 wins in our last 2 games. The only change I can see is Stafylidis for the suspended Tzavellas, which is a little concerning but hopefully with 2 other CB's next to him he'll be okay. 

We could also see a change to the attacking duo, Douvikas maybe to partner Pavlidis again? But I think he'll stick with Masouras playing off Pavlidis. 

The Swedes are a good team, especially up front. Plenty of firepower from their wingers and strikers. They will get chances as they did in Greece, we need our defence to have a big game and similarly Vlachodimos to have a good game.

It's nice to be in the qualification picture this late in proceedings, no matter the result we are still mathematically alive going into the final 2 games. Let's how we go. 

I think JVS will play it tight to start just sit back and limit there attack and will wait for a good counter attack or set piece to get a goal. Hopefully we score first again as we did in Athens then the Swedes will really bring a lot of men forward to equalize and I could se us hitting them on the counter, especially with Tzolis pace he gave them fits last match. In that case I can see Greece scoring 2 goals and remember we should have had 3 goals last time if not for Vrousai miss in close and Bouchalakis header that just missed the target. It will be a nerve racking game but like you said at least we are still in it with three games left to go.

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I remember beating Luxumberg (I believe in the 90th + minute) and Slovenia through an own goal. We have never been a juggernaut but the results were consistent.

Ya it was Slovakia with a back pass from Skrtel that hopped over the goalies foot. That was crazy..

• Like it 1

This is going to be a much different game then we saw in Athens, the Swedes are great at home and they will be playing in a full stadium. A win is a must even though a draw we are mathematically still alive realistically anything but a win and it’s over but let’s see now as the underdogs which I prefer if we can keep a clean sheet and find a goal off a counter. An early goal would be huge and it would out the pressure on the Swedes.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

This is going to be a much different game then we saw in Athens, the Swedes are great at home and they will be playing in a full stadium. A win is a must even though a draw we are mathematically still alive realistically anything but a win and it’s over but let’s see now as the underdogs which I prefer if we can keep a clean sheet and find a goal off a counter. An early goal would be huge and it would out the pressure on the Swedes.

They play well at home Kosovo played them much closer than the 3nil scoreline. They had a goal called back with Sweden up 1-0. We know Greece can show up vs the “bigger” countries and I think we will see that heart tomorrow. Also I heard  Kulesveski is out due to suspension. 

• Like it 2

Yeah i don't think we will be dominant in possession this match against a good team like Sweden and also being away in their home. We will get our chances though, and hopefully we make the most of them.

The story of this qualification campaign for us is missed chances and poor striking. We have lost games that we have dominated. We are really missing a true high volume striker like Gekas was or Mitro was. They got us to our two most recent appearances. 

• Like it 3

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic