Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Georgia - Greece (9 Oct. 2021, 19:00 EEST - Batumi Stadium, Batumi)

Dutch Eagle

5 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

JVS got the starting line up right today.

NT played well in first half. I think we were lucky in 2nd half but I’ll take it.

I think defence was solid today. Androutsos did well at RB. Only negative is we will have Tzavelas out of Sweden game after a yellow card.

Now we go to Sweden, for what will be like a final.

Now just imagine he played instead of Bakakis who was getting abused on that side last time vs Georgia 

28 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Var didn’t take it away. The ball was actually out. Call it like it is. 

If you want to be like that, then that was really a handball in the box too. 

• Like it 2

If we had been able to hold on at Kosovo we would be 1pt behind Sweden and if we didn’t have such an uninspired performance in Greece vs Georgia we could be on 13pts level with Spain with a game in hand.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPAO said:

Am I happy we won yes, did we deserve it no way in hell. We didn’t really offer much going forward. Masouras and Pavlidis didn’t link up well at all. This 3-4-3 doesn’t work with the players he decides to deploy in it. I lost count of how many times we’d regain possession to only have 2 players past half and no options for transitioning to attack. Tzolis needs to start plain and simple especially against teams like Georgia who sit back he has the skill needed to score a goal on a solo effort. 

I agree with you. I am happy for the win but we need improvement still. Our movement needs work. So many times I saw our players just standing there and not busting there ass to move into space and collect the ball…

If he wants to play these type of formations he needs to deploy the right players for it. After 35 games Bakasetas is finally showing that he can be somewhat decent in possession. Is he our best for the role he plays? I still think he isn’t but he’s stepped up and showing some improvement. 

I believe we were so lucky that we got the penalty. We looked confused in possession still but we got the 3 points and that’s what matters at the end of the day. Thankfully Pelkas scored. I agree Tzolis and Douvikas should start next game. 

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

If we had been able to hold on at Kosovo we would be 1pt behind Sweden and if we didn’t have such an uninspired performance in Greece vs Georgia we could be on 13pts level with Spain with a game in hand.

Spot on, those 4 points were wasted in the garbage. The next two matches vs. Sweden and Spain were going to be acceptable to grab 2 points from there. Still, Greece got a chance to beat both of them. Big advantage is they are the heavy underdogs and Greece thrives in these situations. 

• Like it 3

4 minutes ago, Antaeus7 said:

Spot on, those 4 points were wasted in the garbage. The next two matches vs. Sweden and Spain were going to be acceptable to grab 2 points from there. Still, Greece got a chance to beat both of them. Big advantage is they are the heavy underdogs and Greece thrives in these situations. 

Ya Greece would have been in the drivers seat if we won those two games especially after claiming a huge point in Spain. Where no one else will get anything in Spain I believe. 
I am optimistic about our chances in Sweden I believe the Ethniki will be ready for them, Sweden are a good tough side but they are no France, Germany or Italy we can take 3 points from them.

• Like it 1

Good win but still can do better. Tsimikas has to be more threat down LW to create chances same with a androutsos on RW. Tsioles came on but he is selfish around penalty area has to finish or pass. That penalty was a gift we  needed! Also good posssesion of ball 2nd half we were better and it showed.  Douvikas for me could have got some time but overall win is win.

Edited by jason

With K Pap out, how are we going to replace Tzavellas who I have to say has been solid. Which one of Poungaras or Stafylidis comes in or do we change to 4 at the back with two wing backs?

I think the key to the Sweden game is to score first. If Sweden takes the lead they are going to be hard to break down.

As I thought the formation and limited attacking players it creates made it difficult to breakdown Georgia as we have struggled with similar type teams in the last.

We should have been up 1-0 when their keeper carried the ball over the line but we had to wait for a very picky penalty.

We march on but boy, JVS needs to learn he needs to make subs much earlier in the game

• Like it 1

Finally saw the match, we def were the better team, just wish we had taken better shots.  The ref seemed to let a lot of things go from the Georgians, they should have gotten a few more yellow cards.  The ball did seem to  go over the line for us in the 1st half, found it strange that they didn't show clear replays or go to VAR.

11 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

Finally saw the match, we def were the better team, just wish we had taken better shots.  The ref seemed to let a lot of things go from the Georgians, they should have gotten a few more yellow cards.  The ball did seem to  go over the line for us in the 1st half, found it strange that they didn't show clear replays or go to VAR.

VAR can't be used to deem if the ball has crossed the goal line. Goal line technology has to be in place, so with no goal line tech, the ref/linesman don't give the goal it's no goal.

Pretty silly when you think VAR was able to determine along the same line that the ball had gone out and they disallowed Pavlidis' goal. 

• Like it 3