Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Sweden (8 Sep. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

5 hours ago, trotsk13 said:

So, how do we feel about JVS now? I'm suddenly very encouraged about the long-term prospects, especially with the likes of Tsimikas, Mavropanos, Douvikas, Tzolis, etc... coming into their own. Not gonna happen overnight. But I see the path... thoughts?

Very good..especially after that performance and his post match remarks.. I liked him a lot initially when he took over but after the last game I wanted him out.. I guess I would say let him finish this qualification and will see in November. 

I just wish he would have set us up better vs Kosovo that was a tough one not to get 3pts. If Tzolis had been available even off the bench we would have found a second goal and finished them off.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Very good..especially after that performance and his post match remarks.. I liked him a lot initially when he took over but after the last game I wanted him out.. I guess I would say let him finish this qualification and will see in November. 

I just wish he would have set us up better vs Kosovo that was a tough one not to get 3pts. If Tzolis had been available even off the bench we would have found a second goal and finished them off.

I think I am on the same thought. I really liked what he did at the start, we were going nowhere and then started playing fast flowing football but that has not been seen this campaign but for the last 30 minutes vs Sweden were we looked to come out of our shell and play football, even Bouchalakis looked a totally different player.

JVS for me has so much promise, I would just hope he continues to do what makes us work and see that when you have players that can play balla like Tzolis for example, and get someone to work on the right wing we can do some damage.

The next two games are important, under JVS we are playing very well against big teams but really struggling to break down the Georgia's and Kosovo's and this simply can not continue. 

In my view, the line up working against Sweden when we decided to snap out of playing like scared kids and took the game to them, this line up wont work against Georgia for example as we need to break them down (and from the first minute, we cant keep giving away so much time before we start to play), thus we need a more dynamic combo in the middle then Zeca-Bouchalakis and we need more on the right than expecting Androutsos to do it as he can't, he needs someone ahead of him.

Octobers games are gona be huge.

Edited by Alphonse

46 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

I think I am on the same thought. I really liked what he did at the start, we were going nowhere and then started playing fast flowing football but that has not been seen this campaign but for the last 30 minutes vs Sweden were we looked to come out of our shell and play football, even Bouchalakis looked a totally different player.

JVS for me has so much promise, I would just hope he continues to do what makes us work and see that when you have players that can play balla like Tzolis for example, and get someone to work on the right wing we can do some damage.

The next two games are important, under JVS we are playing very well against big teams but really struggling to break down the Georgia's and Kosovo's and this simply can not continue. 

In my view, the line up working against Sweden when we decided to snap out of playing like scared kids and took the game to them, this line up wont work against Georgia for example as we need to break them down (and from the first minute, we cant keep giving away so much time before we start to play), thus we need a more dynamic combo in the middle then Zeca-Bouchalakis and we need more on the right than expecting Androutsos to do it as he can't, he needs someone ahead of him.

Octobers games are gona be huge.

What's the ideal lineup for the October games in your opinion?

Against Georgia, 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 at least

I really want to see Saliakas or Kotsiras at RB, have a Galanopoulos or Siopis in the middle, and have Masouras/Tzolis on the left with Pelkas on CAM (although it will be Bakasetas or Baka at CAM and Pelkas hand on the right) and Douvikas up front. See how Giakoumakis does in the next month but he could be in the mix also.

Ultimately, dont need 3 CB's and only 3 attacking players in that game, go back to what we used to do which helped create chances that we are not doing now (but for the last 30 mins vs Sweden)

Against Sweden a similar approach that we saw yesterday 

• Thanks 1

Simply we need to win at least 3 and draw 1  and finish 16 pts and with a bit of luck get 2nd.

One good thing about this Greek team is they don’t lose easily.

Surely the Sweden win gives the team belief they can do it. It would be great if we can get to Nov and the last game at home with Kosovo and still have a chance. That alone would be amazing and show that the team is headed in the right direction.

1 hour ago, kbxk508 said:

Simply we need to win at least 3 and draw 1  and finish 16 pts and with a bit of luck get 2nd.

One good thing about this Greek team is they don’t lose easily.

Surely the Sweden win gives the team belief they can do it. It would be great if we can get to Nov and the last game at home with Kosovo and still have a chance. That alone would be amazing and show that the team is headed in the right direction.

In that scenario, we'd need to beat Sweden and I guess tie Spain, correct?

In order for Greece to top first place, they would have to win all 4 games and need Spain to beat Sweden. You will get : 

Greece - 18 pts 
Spain - 16 pts 
Sweden - 15 pts 

In order for Greece to finish second place (playoff spot) You will need 3 wins and a draw (from either Spain or Sweden) and all depends on the Spain-Sweden result. 

Yes that’s correct, but we can get 2nd with 16 pts, on the assumption we get at least a win and a draw with Sweden and Spain i.e.,

Win Sweden and draw Spain (preferered) or

Draw Sweden and win Spain.

In the 2nd scenario all three countries may finish with 16 pts assuming Spain then beat Sweden in the final match and we could miss out on 2nd spot on goal difference.

All this assumes Greece and Sweden beat Georgia and Kosovo. Maybe Sweden will, but with Greece this is not guaranteed.

Edited by kbxk508

We need to focus on winning that’s it. We have to get 4 wins. A draw would make our lives even harder as we will have to depend on what happens with Spain and Sweden. We have to beat everyone now. We shot ourselves in the foot big time against Kosovo and Georgia. We need to attack every team  like we did against Sweden. 

This is kind of a weird perspective but i've been stirring over this over the last couple of days

If we could take 4 points from Kosovo and Sweden before those games, would we take it? (so 1 win 1 draw)

I would almost say.. yes.. not the best scenario but also not the worst. Sweden are on a winning streak so hard to beat, a draw might be a good result here. Then Kosovo is the must win.

So lets say we accept 4 points there.

It's actually better to take 3 points from Sweden than from Kosovo, we have to come 2nd in the group, so you could argue Spain is going to run away with it, Sweden is our main rival. So letting sweden have a point instead of Kosovo is actually worse of. So basically what im saying is, this was the 2nd best scenario/result over the last 2 games that we could have hoped for.

• Confused 1

There's no way around it guys we need to win every game and at the very least draw Spain to have a legitimate shot at 2nd. Now i would love if Kosovo somehow takes points against Sweden but that's highly unlikely. But we can't get ahead of ourselves we now need to take it one game at a time and not look ahead as we now have to focus on Georgia and hope the players don't have their minds on the Sweden game as we always seem to struggle against these type of teams. 

11 hours ago, Antaeus7 said:

In order for Greece to top first place, they would have to win all 4 games and need Spain to beat Sweden. You will get : 

Greece - 18 pts 
Spain - 16 pts 
Sweden - 15 pts 

In order for Greece to finish second place (playoff spot) You will need 3 wins and a draw (from either Spain or Sweden) and all depends on the Spain-Sweden result. 

Thats right. We can still top the group if we win every game. If JVS has our key players available I believe we can win out. 

At Georgia will be difficult if they play like they did vs us in Greece and early on in qualifying were I watched them outplay Sweden but if not for Olsen Georgia would have had a result in Sweden. Also at home vs Spain they were leading through that wonder kid who scored and gave away the game when Olmo scored from 30 yards out in the 92nd to give Spain the win. Greece have to have 100% focus and JVS has to get his tactics right here this time to get the win.

Sweden will be tough but I can see us going there and getting a win. We broke there usually stout defence down in Athens and could have scored 4 goals. Bouchalakis and Vroussai should have finished there chances. 

It comes down to the game vs Spain they will knock the ball around and keep possesion we just have to be patient and capitilize when we get our chances. Spain have great players but they are not the same Spain off a decade ago they tied us at home and loss to Sweden and got fortunate getting out of Georgia with a result. 

Anyways I cant wait for the October matches..

On 9/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, paokara777 said:

Say what you want about von schip but he was rightfully coming down hard and spitting facts about the state of the Greek SL right now lol

I will say this he nailed it in regards to super league fan support and overrated foreign players. There has to be more home grown talent I remember seeing I believe PAOK 11 not one greek player or maybe 1 its ridiculous. Too much focus in greece on being a hooligan over playing football..

• Like it 5

1 hour ago, paokara777 said:

Yeah when we played Rijeka, only 1 player was greek. Paschalakis. So just the goalkeeper lol

That’s because foreign players are all new and are too dumb to know that they’ll never get paid. 

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, HellasLEAF said:

Douvikas Pavlidis Tzolis are players that can threaten for goals nice to see this for a change!

I think in the 2nd half the team grew with belief and don't fear Sweden in the away leg.  I think they believe they can still qualify or they wouldn't have put in the performance they did yesterday.  I'm expecting 6 points in October!

Problem is  Pavlidis s%$#! himself in front of an open goal, the fact that he had to shoot. Swap him out for Giakoumakis and hope he is more clinical.

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic