Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Sweden (8 Sep. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

44 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

Fantastic win. Relief in the end. It was pleasing to see the team push for goals and not sit back when they took lead.

Sweden are good side. Tough side.

If we can somehow repeat this in the Spain match or the return leg in Sweden then we might still have a slim chance. Still a long shot.

I think Greece can replicate this in Sweden we can play with them we saw it today. We generated lots of great chances in attack. Spain will be alot harder because they will just knock the ball around and we will be hemed in our own half and we will have to wait patiently for our few chances to score.

Lets GO GREECE!!!

How bad are those two draws now against Georgia and Kosovo. We were leading in both games.. We would have been in 2nd with 12 points and at the very least if we hung on against Kosovo we would be tied for 2nd with Sweden.  We have to beat Georgia on the road and then beat Sweden at home if we do that then we have a great chance. Still a very tall ask. I don't think JVS will go anywhere until a new EPO leader is assigned and most likely that win bought him some time. The only thing i can say is JVS needs to play the style of play he played today against Sweden as i don't remember Greece standing toe to toe with a solid team like Sweden and creating chances back and fourth it was really nice to watch. This game could have gone the other way but the boys stuck with it and Vlacho stood tall. I would rather lose or draw every game playing like that rather then sit back and play scared against Kosovo and Georgia.  Hopefully by October we have some of our injured players back as well. Bakasetas as s%$#! as he is played a good game today i have to admit as much as i hate to say it. Douvikas is looking really good. overall they team went toe to toe with Sweden and came away with a victory lets hope now they don't s%$#! the bed against Georgia in October.

• Like it 1

Just watched the game

Was very exciting and so proud of the team for getting that win and doing it with good football too.

But im left with a bad taste in my mouth. This win just makes me feel even more upset about the games we should have won. Imagine we win at least one of the kosovo matche and/or against georgia.

Anyways, let's see if we can make something from this win. I doubt it, and i don't want to get my hopes up to be disappointed again.

I will say this, though, If Tziolos is fit, it is 100% criminal to not play him.

Edited by paokara777
  • Like it 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

How bad are those two draws now against Georgia and Kosovo. We were leading in both games.. We would have been in 2nd with 12 points and at the very least if we hung on against Kosovo we would be tied for 2nd with Sweden.  We have to beat Georgia on the road and then beat Sweden at home if we do that then we have a great chance. Still a very tall ask. I don't think JVS will go anywhere until a new EPO leader is assigned and most likely that win bought him some time. The only thing i can say is JVS needs to play the style of play he played today against Sweden as i don't remember Greece standing toe to toe with a solid team like Sweden and creating chances back and fourth it was really nice to watch. This game could have gone the other way but the boys stuck with it and Vlacho stood tall. I would rather lose or draw every game playing like that rather then sit back and play scared against Kosovo and Georgia.  Hopefully by October we have some of our injured players back as well. Bakasetas as s%$#! as he is played a good game today i have to admit as much as i hate to say it. Douvikas is looking really good. overall they team went toe to toe with Sweden and came away with a victory lets hope now they don't s%$#! the bed against Georgia in October.

Yes those draws hurt considering we were leading in both games, but to be fair we didnt deserve to win the match vs Georgia we didnt create anything we just got an own goal. It happens teams that should win drop points in qualification but to play that bad in 2 straight important matches was very concerning. Today JVS got it right and the team stepped up it looks as if they wanted to save his job. Bakasetas I said earlier had his best game Ive ever seen he was actually playing nice passes even nice dribbles and a back heel too. JVS if he stays on has to start Tzolis every game he was electric.

He can complain all he likes his tactics have sucked and look now what happens when you actually try to score. Our players are good enough no doubt and he doesn't choose the play the absolute best Greek players so why complain?

Just on today how good is Tsimikas my goodness the kid is a star. It's like Giourkas all over again but this time on the left. Also Tzolis when he came on really gave us a different attacking threat cutting in from the right.

• Like it 4

The late draw was so deflating, whatever happens it feels good to see the team win a big match and renew some faith in themselves.  They didn't lose in front of the home supporters is respectable something to build on.  

Worst worst case scenario is they push for WC but miss and position themselves best they can to ensure they qualify for the next Euro.  To miss again would be unthinkable it's more opportunity to qualify there. 

1 hour ago, paokara777 said:

Say what you want about von schip but he was rightfully coming down hard and spitting facts about the state of the Greek SL right now lol

Wow i give JVS props for being so direct when speaking about the state of football in Greece with regards to the GSL.

• Like it 4

Bakasetas!!!!!!!! Best player and skipper in Greece, no doubt. JVS!!!!!!!! What a tactical giant. 5 3 2 system with a high press!

Surely a three contract awaits for the Gaffa!

Lets listen out for the gate 7 podcast enthusiastically give us the match report and opinion on that one then!

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, trotsk13 said:

So, how do we feel about JVS now? I'm suddenly very encouraged about the long-term prospects, especially with the likes of Tsimikas, Mavropanos, Douvikas, Tzolis, etc... coming into their own. Not gonna happen overnight. But I see the path... thoughts?

We have some good young talent, fortunately for us most of that talent will continue to be developed across Europe rather than in Greece. We have a few holes in the team(Center mid/right-back) but on the whole this is a team which should be qualifying for a 24 team Euro. World Cup qualification is harder, we were unlucky to cop a very good Sweden team from pot 2. 

If he somehow pulls of a miracle (first step was taken last night) and gets us to Qatar 2022, then of course he will stay on. The only way he stays on if we don't qualify for the WC is if we heroically fall short on the last matchday. What I mean by that is we beat Kosovo on the final matchday and Sweden and Spain have colluded  for a result which sends them both through at our expense (very unlikely I know, as that would entail us having beaten both Sweden and Spain before that point, which would probably render my above scenario impossible anyway) 

Unless we fall off a cliff in the next 4 games, I would keep him on for the Euro 24 qualifiers which I realise is an unpopular opinion. I think this team, as you point out is good enough to qualify for a 24-team Euro and I think JVS should be given the chance to guide us to that particular tournament. 

Douvikas Pavlidis Tzolis are players that can threaten for goals nice to see this for a change!

I think in the 2nd half the team grew with belief and don't fear Sweden in the away leg.  I think they believe they can still qualify or they wouldn't have put in the performance they did yesterday.  I'm expecting 6 points in October!

42 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

We have some good young talent, fortunately for us most of that talent will continue to be developed across Europe rather than in Greece. We have a few holes in the team(Center mid/right-back) but on the whole this is a team which should be qualifying for a 24 team Euro. World Cup qualification is harder, we were unlucky to cop a very good Sweden team from pot 2. 

If he somehow pulls of a miracle (first step was taken last night) and gets us to Qatar 2022, then of course he will stay on. The only way he stays on if we don't qualify for the WC is if we heroically fall short on the last matchday. What I mean by that is we beat Kosovo on the final matchday and Sweden and Spain have colluded  for a result which sends them both through at our expense (very unlikely I know, as that would entail us having beaten both Sweden and Spain before that point, which would probably render my above scenario impossible anyway) 

Unless we fall off a cliff in the next 4 games, I would keep him on for the Euro 24 qualifiers which I realise is an unpopular opinion. I think this team, as you point out is good enough to qualify for a 24-team Euro and I think JVS should be given the chance to guide us to that particular tournament. 

Right. But at some point, the Ethniki has to pick a path/strategy/coach and stick with it. Turning over the coach every couple years just sets us back to square one every time. We will never go anywhere with that mentality. 

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic