Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Sweden (8 Sep. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

Greece couldn’t string more than a couple passes together and every time we got the ball we would just smash it up field aimlessly. Just disgusting to watch that garbage. Plus we only had 4 shot attempts 2 on target and Kosovo had 59% possession? JVS once again in important match comes up short he did the same vs Slovenia and that cost  us a NL top spot and possible playoff spot. Also when Fortounis is fit he wouldn’t utilize him and would talk about his lack of playing time at OLY meanwhile he calls up players without a club. Time for him to resign or let go!

What pisses me off the most about JVS is in a friendly he will have the team playing so much better and a complete different style but as soon as its a game that counts he plays the complete opposite then he did in the friendly. Explain the logic of using a different line up and a different style in a friendly compared to a qualification game. Instead of using a style and line up that will mirror the qualification game so the team can get familiar with each other and the style he completely does the opposite. 

• Like it 3

32 minutes ago, J1078 said:

What pisses me off the most about JVS is in a friendly he will have the team playing so much better and a complete different style but as soon as its a game that counts he plays the complete opposite then he did in the friendly. Explain the logic of using a different line up and a different style in a friendly compared to a qualification game. Instead of using a style and line up that will mirror the qualification game so the team can get familiar with each other and the style he completely does the opposite. 

That’s exactly what I said on another forum. There’s a big disconnection between the friendlies and main games and I don’t know why. I feel like JVS panics in the main games and throws out his philosophy or the players don’t believe in themselves to do it in the qualifiers. In the game against Kosovo we didn’t value the ball and we were letting them have possession, which doesn’t make any sense against a team like that.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

That’s exactly what I said on another forum. There’s a big disconnection between the friendlies and main games and I don’t know why. I feel like JVS panics in the main games and throws out his philosophy or the players don’t believe in themselves to do it in the qualifiers. In the game against Kosovo we didn’t value the ball and we were letting them have possession, which doesn’t make any sense against a team like that.

Your right Dean he panics and goes against his perfered style in the qualifiers. Against Kosovo he should have gone after them with a 4-3-3 formation and play nice one touch passing and open up Kosovo. Instead Greece were hitting long balls aimlessly up the pitch and it suited Kosovo just fine. 

Also when we got up a goal we would keep the clean sheet or the lead. I cant remember in any qualifier were we allowed a goal late on or in stoppage time but thats what you get when you got all your defenders scrambling around and cant deal with a cross into the box. I doubt we would have seen a goal go in there with Manolas or Siovas in the lineup. His banning of those guys bit him right in the ARSE!

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

I really hope JVS is out even if Greece manage to scrape out a win vs Sweden. In that case we would still have somewhat of chance at qualification but JVS would need to go and bring in a coach who can talk to the players he has excluded from the team and bring them back for the October qualifiers. 

I really hope we see a different system with Sweden, some changes are needed. Surely JVS can't start with the same 3 5 2 formation which was a disaster with Kosovo.

Players playing scared of making a mistake, and consequently not winning balls that normally they would win, and not making good decisions when they have the ball. Play breaks down too often and too easily. Having just 41% of possession with Kosovo was embarrassing.

I don't know the answer, but if I see the same formation, I will not expect to see an improvement.

• Like it 2

Greek football is in a sad state. The league hasn’t started, no clubs in the Champions League. Greece is ranked 20th in European Club coefficient. Greece can’t beat Georgia and Kosovo. Now this.

I thought Zagorakis was going to replace JVS after Sweden, now he’s quit.

• Like it 2

26 minutes ago, kbxk508 said:

Greek football is in a sad state. The league hasn’t started, no clubs in the Champions League. Greece is ranked 20th in European Club coefficient. Greece can’t beat Georgia and Kosovo. Now this.

I thought Zagorakis was going to replace JVS after Sweden, now he’s quit.

I agree Greek football is a disaster. I guess so much for JVS being fired after this game. I was feeling positive with Zagorakis at that position now this is just an unorganized s%$#! show. no idea where the NT goes from here.

In the many years being part of this forum I have never seen it so quiet on game day for the Ethniki for Euro or WC Qualifying.

It shows what a sad state the team is on. I always had hope but its down to zero for me right now. The team and EPO are in shambles and it looks like there is no end in sight...

• Like it 1

10 minutes ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

In the many years being part of this forum I have never seen it so quiet on game day for the Ethniki for Euro or WC Qualifying.

It shows what a sad state the team is on. I always had hope but its down to zero for me right now. The team and EPO are in shambles and it looks like there is no end in sight...

Noticed that. I miss all the excitement at the start of the qualifiers and a few years back at the end of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. Thank JVS for his stubbornness & EPO for another miserable hire for a manager!

• Like it 2

Pame Ellas, truly a must win match tonight. It’s sad to see the state we are in but we must have faith. Hopefully the player selection and passion is there tonight as our World Cup hopes are at risk if we do not win. 

Edited by tBazos22

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic