Phantis Forums

Dimitris Giannoulis - Norwich City

Dutch Eagle

This international (14 caps as of today) had no topic. Time to open it.

Made his debut in the English Premier League - after a few months in the Championship - and played the whole match. Lost against Liverpool: 0-3

Played well I thought. Looked a lot more assured on the ball than his fellow left back Tsimikas on the opposite side. Showed his trademark pace when he broke forward and always looked dangerous in attack. Dealt with Salah relatively okay, despite this Salah ends up man of the match with 2 assists and a goal, sometimes the opposition is just too good🤷‍♂️ 

He clearly tired in the 2nd half, and that is his challenge, at this level the top players stay dangerous for 90 mins you need to be able to have the legs to go with them. 

Overall I thought he had a slightly better match than Tsimikas, but both can hold their head high. Ultimately having this type of competition is a good thing, we have 2 left-backs playing in the Premier League and both didn't look out of place. 

Edited by paokarag4

Tough game for him against Manchester City, Norwich lost 5-0 and Giannoulis was subbed of at half-time with the score at 2-0. 

His coach said later on he was struggling with the level of City and they took him off to protect him. It'll be interesting to see what affect that half has on his standing within the team. Hopefully he starts next weekend. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/farke-gia-giannoyli-den-ithela-na-ton-ntropiaso-einai-proti-fora-poy-paizei-se-ayto-to-epipedo.9330374.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hasn't really been playing much, not sure if Williams (the guy they brought in to replace him) is hurt but he is not on the team sheet. Regardless, Giannoulis is starting today vs Brighton. So far through the first half he has played a few nice passes. He was burned once or twice and forced to foul but overall looks a lot more solid than he did at the start of the season. We'll see how the second half goes.

Giannoulis finished the whole game as Norwich played in their defensive half almost the entire game. Regardless, they earned a 0-0 draw against Brighton, which is big as they have been struggling to keep clean sheets this whole season. Tziolis came on with 10 min left and looked dangerous but he can only show so much when he gets 10 min and the team is playing all out defense lol. Regardless, it is exciting that 2 Greek players played in a premier league game today, even if it is for the worse team in the league. 

• Like it 2

47 minutes ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

Giannoulis finished the whole game as Norwich played in their defensive half almost the entire game. Regardless, they earned a 0-0 draw against Brighton, which is big as they have been struggling to keep clean sheets this whole season. Tziolis came on with 10 min left and looked dangerous but he can only show so much when he gets 10 min and the team is playing all out defense lol. Regardless, it is exciting that 2 Greek players played in a premier league game today, even if it is for the worse team in the league. 

Good for Giannoulis. Tzolis only getting only 10mins with Norwich is unbelievable those stupid eglesi managers are idiots.

• Like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Giannoulis played til the 80 something minute today as Norwich took on fellow relegation battling Burnley. The Canaries managed a huge 2-0 win. They now have 4 points from their last two games, and more importantly for our boy, have kept clean sheets in both fixtures. He received quiet the ovation when getting subbed off too. I worry that Williams being subbed on and seemingly recovered from his injury will lead to Giannoulis being relegated to the bench again, but given the rare two clean sheets he has helped maintain, I feel it would be foolish for Dean Smith to not continue with our lad. Norwich have only kept a clean sheet a total of 6 times in 31 games so he should get the nod. Big confidence booster after a horrid start in the season, admittedly he took on more of the blame than he should as the whole team was poor all year. Regardless, it is faint, but they have a chance to remain in the league. As for Christos Tziolis, the wonderboy was subbed on in the 89th minute i believe, so really hard to have any impact, as per usual. 

• Like it 1

Played another full game against United. Despite the team giving up 3 goals to a Ronaldo hattrick, he played pretty well. Won the ball a couple times from United players and play a ball that started the buildup to Norwich's first goal. However, this 2-3 loss to United put what already was a bleak chance at staying up in the prem to an even bigger doubt. While it would be nice to keep him in the Prem, I believe he would be a lock in starter in the championship, as the teams concerns are all over the pitch. It would be great for Tziolis too, who got no playing time even though they were chasing a goal. I wonder if Dean Smith just doesnt like his attitude or what but he is getting wasted sitting on the bench.

• Like it 1

Another loss for Norwich against Newcastle 3-0, which pretty much ends any hope for Premier League survival for the boys. Giannoulis played the full game and Tziolis was subbed on, but I was unable to watch the game, so not sure how well they did. Judging from the score line, prob not too great lol. Championship minutes for Tziolis would be far better than rotting on a bench hopefully this will be a good opportunity for them to play him and keep Giannoulis as a permanent starter. 

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...