Phantis Forums

EURO 2020

Antaeus7

France choked! 3-1 up to Switzerland who always falter in the round of 16 at major tournaments. I thought France would be in the final with that starting 11 and all their depth on the bench.

I like this England team a lot, very discipline, no arrogance. Gareth Southgate is a very good manager for them. If they advance past either Sweden or Ukraine in the quarterfinals which takes place in Rome, they have a very good chance to win this tournament. The semifinals and finals will all be played in London. 

Edited by Antaeus7

• 2 weeks later...

UEFA gets England into the final with a total fake penalty call! I was worried about the ref giving them some cheap penalty and Sterling took a dive like Robben! I hope Italy outclass them and take the trophy!

The thing is that the Italians are known for the same thing.  Did you see their striker get "hurt" in the penalty box, you think they would have called an ambulance, only to be resurrected to celebrate the goal seconds later? 

• Like it 1

Call it what you like, but England deserve to play in the finals. In my opinion, the Dutch ref should have given the penalty earlier to England when Kane was taken out without the ball. This one was a bit soft, but there was contact on Sterling. Brklyngrk is right, Italy has a reputation for diving just like Portugal and Spain does best. 

2 hours ago, Antaeus7 said:

Call it what you like, but England deserve to play in the finals. In my opinion, the Dutch ref should have given the penalty earlier to England when Kane was taken out without the ball. This one was a bit soft, but there was contact on Sterling. Brklyngrk is right, Italy has a reputation for diving just like Portugal and Spain does best. 

I don't disagree with you about those countries diving too. The point is you cant call that a pen in a semi final of a Euro no less. It looks bad the dutch ref saved them from going to penalties were they would have been nerve racked more than the Danes just look how bad Kane penalty was he muffed it... 

Overall the English dominated the Danes throughout the whole game. If there was one team that deserved to progress from that game it was England. It's going to be a completely different ball game in the final. I would have to say the Italians are the favorites, but England will play at home and anything can happen.

• Thanks 1

Italy upsets the host country and wins on penalties after it finished 1-1 AET!

The Poms got it all wrong in pens, Southgate with key mistakes, putting on Rashford and Sancho right at the end of ET, they both missed their pens and then 19 yo Saka was given the last pen kick which was saved... no glory to England, Italy win their first Euro since 1968

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 2

Congrats Italy on winning the Euro well deserved best team from start to finish!! England 1966 and counting! Southgate got it all wrong, he subs in Rashford and Sancho in the 119th minute and he does not give them any time to get a touch on the ball and they step up to take a penalty and they both miss. Also with the shoot out on the line he has 19 year old Saka taking the last penalty? really what about Grealish or Sterling? England got a nice goal from Shaw of all players but Southgate had them try and defend that lead for 80 minutes same scenario vs Croatia in the World Cup semi final and they ended up losing the match as well. 

• Like it 1

Gareth Southgate has to be one of the worst manager in football history. Has he not learned his lesson from his missed penalty from EURO 96? What has he taught his players about past failures from the penalty shoot outs? Why take out Rice and Tripper who are understanding in the match? 

• Like it 1

On 7/12/2021 at 1:14 AM, Antaeus7 said:

Gareth Southgate has to be one of the worst manager in football history. Has he not learned his lesson from his missed penalty from EURO 96? What has he taught his players about past failures from the penalty shoot outs? Why take out Rice and Tripper who are understanding in the match? 

For sure, England got up a goal early as well and Italy was rattled for the first 20 minutes but instead of pushing forward for a 2nd goal he tried to defend the 1 nil for 80 minutes. Kane had 0 touches the whole match in the 18 yard box? 

Another note its funny how most of the English pundits have said how amazing Southgate's defensive tactics have been especially during the knock out round some saying how innovative he has been. Many of these same 'pundits' are the same people that heavily criticized Greece after our Euro win and the same people called us boring and resorting to anti football, really? Well in the end Greece won a Euro trophy something England don't have and during Greece's run they scored a goal in every group and knock out game and we did not need to go to penalty kicks at all to get the job done!

• Like it 1