Phantis Forums

Friendly: Belgium - Greece(3 June 2021, King Baudouin Stadium, Brussels)

Omonoia9

Greece played a great match. In the second half we had the better chances and got our goal. 
Mertens was so rattled this game he got into it with Tzavellas last time we played in Belgium. Amazing that Greece get another result in Belgium!

If Pavlidis doesn't play that stupid, carless pass into the middle where I am sure he expected Bakasetas to be but thats not his fault, they need to talk more and you dont just whip a ball like that into the center of the field... school boy stuff, we may have won.

For me we played well HOWEVER, for long patches we struggled to get anything going in attack, I dunno what JVS is seen in Bakasetas and I hate to be singling this guy out but he is killing us, we are playing with 10 men and with Baka at CAM we are really gona struggle against most teams as he kills every attack with sideways and back passes, look how many times we couldnt properly transition into attack because:

1. He gets the ball and then passes back or sideways to a marked or very flat player
2. He has no speed or technique to move forward and allow the flow on to continue
3. We don't have a target in the middle cause he is jogging there
4. We then revert the ball back to the full backs, our counter attack is finished and we have to start again

Masouras was a beast today and did the work Baka couldn't do, of course many times he was left with no options and our attack died. He should have had a goal to mark a MVP performance.

We couldn't really see what Giannoulis could do at LW as we lacked flow until Mantalos and Pelkas came on who showed immediately what this team can do with attacking midfielders who can run and go forward .

Androutsos very solid today, I think he just landed the RB role, Vlahodimos made some fine saves also. Pelkas looked improved to me, it's only one game and not massive minutes but I liked what I saw when we had him, Mantalos and Masouras out there.

What we need to do to improve.

* Drop Bakasetas ASAP - the team will change drastically, we are gona struggle to win most games with him there
* Improve our passing!!!!!! This is a big one, we gave away the ball so many times so cheaply, unacceptable at this level and well, it cost us a goal today, surprised it didn't cost more

*Play Tzolis at LM

Also wanna give credit to Papadopoulos and Tzavellas who scrambled and did all they could in defense, well played. At times though I want KPaps to mark closer

Keen to see what we do with Norway.

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, Omonoia9 said:

Belgium 1-1 Greece    FT

Not bad, not bad at all!

Another friendly we’re Greece looked very sharp vs a top side especially in the second half. Masouras had a couple great chances but goalie saved. Tzavellas was excellent in the back & scored. Masouras and Adroutsos were solid and Galanopoulos had a good performance in his return.  If only JVS brought the same plan vs Georgia we would have won for sure. Greece can get results vs the top nations we just got to start putting away the weaker sides.

45 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

If Pavlidis doesn't play that stupid, carless pass into the middle where I am sure he expected Bakasetas to be but thats not his fault, they need to talk more and you dont just whip a ball like that into the center of the field... school boy stuff, we may have won.

For me we played well HOWEVER, for long patches we struggled to get anything going in attack, I dunno what JVS is seen in Bakasetas and I hate to be singling this guy out but he is killing us, we are playing with 10 men and with Baka at CAM we are really gona struggle against most teams as he kills every attack with sideways and back passes, look how many times we couldnt properly transition into attack because:

1. He gets the ball and then passes back or sideways to a marked or very flat player
2. He has no speed or technique to move forward and allow the flow on to continue
3. We don't have a target in the middle cause he is jogging there
4. We then revert the ball back to the full backs, our counter attack is finished and we have to start again

Masouras was a beast today and did the work Baka couldn't do, of course many times he was left with no options and our attack died. He should have had a goal to mark a MVP performance.

We couldn't really see what Giannoulis could do at LW as we lacked flow until Mantalos and Pelkas came on who showed immediately what this team can do with attacking midfielders who can run and go forward .

Androutsos very solid today, I think he just landed the RB role, Vlahodimos made some fine saves also. Pelkas looked improved to me, it's only one game and not massive minutes but I liked what I saw when we had him, Mantalos and Masouras out there.

What we need to do to improve.

* Drop Bakasetas ASAP - the team will change drastically, we are gona struggle to win most games with him there
* Improve our passing!!!!!! This is a big one, we gave away the ball so many times so cheaply, unacceptable at this level and well, it cost us a goal today, surprised it didn't cost more

*Play Tzolis at LM

Also wanna give credit to Papadopoulos and Tzavellas who scrambled and did all they could in defense, well played. At times though I want KPaps to mark closer

Keen to see what we do with Norway.

Great points. Bakasetas is hurting us for sure. Imagine having Fortounis play instead of him today and the threat he would have posed to Belgium. Bakasetas seems like a lock to be in the starting lineup as bad as he is if JVS is manager. 
Pelkas was a fantastic sub he gave us energy and kept the Belgian defence on their heels. I hope he will continue to get time and perform he has had a good season at his club.

Guys I couldn’t watch the game, did Greece play good or was it more like the Spain game and we got one opportunity and tied it? For those who watched the game what was your overall impression?

39 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Guys I couldn’t watch the game, did Greece play good or was it more like the Spain game and we got one opportunity and tied it? For those who watched the game what was your overall impression?

Not so good in the 1st half. Better in the 2nd. Masouras was man of the match. He was very lively and had a few chances to score. Our full backs were solid and I believe Androutsos should continue to play. As per usual Bakasetas kills our attacks and because of this most of our attacks were slow and didn’t pull off. Vlachodimos played well though. 

Luckily Masouras got into good positions. A decent performance overall against most of Belgiums bench players. I just believe if get rid of Bakasetas we will look better. 

• Like it 2

53 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Check out my post re 😄

Great game by Greece today. Massouras definitely man of the match even though he missed a chance that he should have finished.

KPaps was a beast! Kyriakos of old and he looks very fit for the first time in a while. Not a fan of Tzavellas but he was rock solid today and I love his I dont take crap from anybody attitude. Galanopoulos was very good also. I hope he pencils in Fortounis for Bakasetas going forward and Tzolis instead of Giannoulis and we're good to go.

All of you JVS haters please take note that we are undefeated in our last 13 matches (7 wins and 6 draws). I don't even know if Rehhagel and Santos ever accomplished that. 

We're on the right path to getting back to major tournaments again. We need two wins against Sweden.

Makynia out!

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Makynia said:

All of you JVS haters please take note that we are undefeated in our last 13 matches (7 wins and 6 draws). I don't even know if Rehhagel and Santos ever accomplished that. 

I do believe during 2003-04, Greece started the national record undefeated streak from the win in a EURO 2004 qualifier vs. Armenia at home until they lost to The Netherlands in a friendly 4-0. I don't remember the streak, I think it was 20 games or so? 

Edited by Antaeus7
  • Like it 1

I believe Santos has that record with Greece.  

Regarding the game, Tziolis should be given a go as LW.  Pavlidis was ok outside of that stupid pass.  Bakasetas was really the guy that was killing our attacks.  A remember a play were he got the ball in a good attacking position and the next thing you know, our cbs have the ball.

Papadopoulos was AMAZING!  The commentators kept praising him.  Love his attitude and passion, would make him captain tomorrow. Androutsos played well and should be our rb.  Galo was also good and should start going forward.  Also, if Masouras could finish, he would be at Barcelona.

The difference from this game and the Spain game was in this game, we tried.  We had chances and it was more than an even game.  Against Spain, we were just hanging on, not able to string two passes together.  Here, we were a threat and could have won.  We didn't play scared.

Edited by Brklyngrk

On 6/3/2021 at 9:19 PM,  Makynia said: 

All of you JVS haters please take note that we are undefeated in our last 13 matches (7 wins and 6 draws). I don't even know if Rehhagel and Santos ever accomplished that. 

—————-

I think it’s 8 or 9 not 13. They lost to Austria. 

• Like it 1

One day someone might sit down with Masouras and teach him how to finish.  Seriously terrible in front of goal.  That first chance he just had to make sure he lifted the ball 6 to 12 inches over the keepers outstretch leg and it's in.  Maybe if he had a pappou with a vitsa that whacked him each time he missed in training he might up his game.

Finally, soccer finishing 101, hit the far post for f--ks sake.

Demonstration below.  Showing my age.  Hit mute on the terrible music (what is it with soccer highlights and terrible music).

• Like it 1