Phantis Forums

PAE PAOK General News (2020-2021)

Dutch Eagle

• 5 weeks later...

Has there been any word on fans in stadiums? I bring this up because (much to my HUGE surprise), my state's governor announced today that "larger" venues (essentially stadiums that can hold 5k people or more) will be allowed to open at 12% capacity starting on March 22nd, assuming covid cases continue their drop (the trend is looking very good here, though I'd assume Greece's relative lack of vaccines would make this happening before the end of the season a pipe dream).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/25/business/governor-baker-reopen-big-venues-events-march-22/

• 3 weeks later...

Aroniadis is going to be on a show discussing digitization, advertising, and social media with respect to football. Looks like this will at least partially have a focus on the African game (though I'd assume there will be pearls of wisdom from the Greek perspective). This could be very interesting; I'm going to sign up for this.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-africa-football-business-show-ep-16-tickets-146875162565

UEFA-maffia is a tool for the rich. Not for the Red Star's, Trabzonspor's and PAOK's of this world. 

AC Milan just played EL this year despite a debt of 467 mill. They were allowed to participate as corona was blamed and they paid a fine.

And there's the problem. I think financial controls are not only a good idea, but necessary. However, the system as it exists now serves to lock in the teams that got obscenely rich, and lock out teams that only now have owners with deep pockets. If a Chinese billionaire decides to make Atromitos into a football powerhouse, why should we have a problem with it?

Or to put it another way: I don't really have an issue with Abramovich boosting his team to success with his own money. I do have an issue with everyone else not being allowed to do the same, just because they came to the game later.

• Like it 1

All that is needed is needed is a system that ranks teams based on their financial wealth, where the richest team owner isn't allowed to pump any money money into that team, whilst the lowest team on the list is allowed to pump the most money into their team.

A salary cap would also  help level off football, but that may not be possible because of EU laws.

Edited by Nilaul

Here's the link to Arioniadis' interview regarding PAOKTV (and related initiatives). It's currently live and he just went into the background of why PAOKTV exists (giving specifics on the #s involved).

• 1 month later...

Looks like there will be B-teams soon in lower divisions. PAOK is willing to participate and ready it seems. Don't know of I like it or not.

There is a lot of administrative things involved with it. Who is allowed to play in the same weekend? Saturday in B and Sunday sub in A? Or not? How to deal with suspensions for one team. What about the other? And we know how Greeks (especially EPO) are able to mess things up. But maybe they will look and learn from Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands to mention some countries that have that system for years. Who knows.

Would most of the teams in the SL even be able to afford this? Still, I doubt they'd be compelled to participate. I would like to see more PAOK games, personally!

• 3 weeks later...

Zivkovic was more consistent than Tzolis, but when Tzolis was at his best it was the best level any player produced this season. 

I think Schwab deserves a mention too, he was pretty consistent all season. Never dominated games like the other 2, but was at a good level and only remember one or two poor games from him. 

• 2 weeks later...